Your earliest soap memory?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by emm1978, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,503
    Medals:
    My earliest soap memory ever was watching Alma Rudder and Cecile de Pouligniac gaslight Blaine Ewing on Another World. I don't remember all the details but I remember Alma dressing up in a Raggedy Anne doll costume and terrorizing poor Blaine. In my childhood memories some of that stuff was pretty dark and scary. That was back in 1982.

Seems like a lot of us have dark soap moments that made impressions on us when we were younger.

My earliest UK soap memory is from not too long ago:

The first time I ever watched a UK soap was when I watched the Corrie 50th anniversary tram crash.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    I'd say my earliest introduction to Soap would have been The Young and the Restless. Since this and Days of Our Lives were screened during school hours in Australia I'd have to watch these soaps if I was home sick from school. My mother was a fan of The Young and the Restless so I can vividly recall characters from this soap more than others.
    images.jpg
    These two in particular stand out for me. I still recall the moment mother referred to Jill as a tart. My eyes popped. But the biggest one for me was Dallas. The moment I was introduced to the Ewing family it felt like I was home.

3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,593
    Medals:
    Mine is of the Dallas opening credits. I must have first watched those around the time when my parents read me books with drawings of animals and what they sounded like since I came to associate the music with the cows in the opening credits! :giggle:

I also remember there was a scene where someone was at the hospital. I don't remember which season it was but it must have been quite early on. I wanted to watch the show but my parents told me it was not a children's show and that I should go to bed. So since they refused to read me the subtitles or explain what was going on I gave up and went to bed. I bet if they had dubbed Dallas to Swedish I would have watched it earlier than I did as I began watching a Swedish soap opera called "Varuhuset" when I was 7 years old but wasn't allowed to watch Dallas until I was 11.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Medals:
    Ryan's Hope and the nighttime soaps. Actually, I clearly remember the first night DYNASTY aired it's three-hour pilot.

5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    I dont really remember my 1st soap memory but it has to be either Corrie or Crossroads as both my grans watched them and my mum watched Corrie.

And I always remember as a little girl, my mum telling me that the old lady called Ena Sharples from Corrie was the same Violet Carson who played piano on Stars on Sunday on ITV
    All smartened up and no hairnet!!

I am pleased to remember the first episode of Dallas tho in 1978 and happy to have been there from day 1

6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,469
    Medals:
    There's two clips of it in the first five minutes of this doc I recently rewatched. There's the scene of the fight and then the second scene where Benny finds her body with Colin looming over him.

My earliest memory is this scene from EastEnders. It's strange that I remember it as I must've only been three years old when it aired. I'm wondering did I maybe see a later broadcast on Irish TV but I'm pretty sure my mother watched it at BBC pace.

Other random early soap memories are a mobile home exploding in Neighbours as Scott & Charlene ran for cover, someone's wedding dress being ruined by a burst water tank on Emmerdale, the bush fire in Sons & Daughters where Margaret contemplates leaving Pat behind and the harrowing scenes in Brookside where a woman (Sue?) and her son are pushed off some scaffolding to their deaths. In regard to the American soaps, I remember one of Gary and Abby's sauna scenes and thinking it was the most erotic thing I'd ever seen on TV during one of Knots afternoon screenings on RTE or BBC. I only remember the opening credits of Dallas and Dynasty (I only really got to know those shows in reruns). And I didn't even know that Falcon Crest existed until I heard it being referenced in an episode of Cybill (by guest star Joan Van Ark no less).

7. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Being from the Midlands it has to be both The Archers and Crossroads. Nothing specific, I can remember having to be quiet Sunday Morning while the Archers omnibus was on while my mum was preparing the Sunday roast.

And at 6:35 pm weekdays it was Crossroads after ATV today.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. Lockardian

Lockardian Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My earliest Coronation Street memories are similar to others. A woman (called Sally?) visiting Deidre and giving Tracy a doll, then Tracy going missing and eventually being found with the woman. Must have been 1979. I remember the aftermath of Renee’s car crash - people on the street wondering why the corner shop was closed and a policeman telling them Renee was dead. That was 1980. Another memory (October 1980) was Tracy getting locked in the loo!

Crossroads wise - I remember Rosemary Hunter shooting David. No idea of the year. I distinctly remember seeing the episode on 13th December 1979 because a character mentioned “it’s December 13th” and I remember thinking “it’s the same day there as it is here”! Something about Sarah Jane “bleeding again” and her mother being worried too. Oh - and Pamela Vezey’s character telling her daughter not to paint the living room orange as “it would be like living inside a Belisha beacon”!!

Dynasty - Claudia on the roof with what everyone thought was a baby, but when she dropped it they realised it was a doll (January 1984 in the UK).

Dallas - a fire starting when two characters were fighting and knocked some candles over.

The Sullivans - Auntie Rose catches Terry and Peter drinking (Mid 1980 in my ITV region).

• Like Like x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)