Your earliest soap memory?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by emm1978, Dec 12, 2018.

1. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    My earliest soap memory, quite a scary one as I was only 2, was from Coronation Street, when Renee Roberts was killed when her car was hit by a truck in 1980.

Typically dramatic stuff from the Street. :O

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    I have two memories and depending on when their aired will determine which one came first.

Corrie - I remember Deidre frantically looking for Tracy under the rubble outside the Rovers, I can still hear her shouting Tracy as I type this.

Crossroads - A woman fell (or was she pushed) and banged her head against a sink, then I see Benny in his hat getting arrested for the murder, if it was a murder I can't remember any other details. I also remember it happening on a Friday night and my mum saying we will have to wait until Monday to find out what happened.

Both those were shocking to me at the time and I recall feeling very anxious about both.

3. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I know the Coronation Street ones from 1979 exist. Not sure if those Crossroads ones still do ATV and Central lost a lot of material from around then.

Yorkshire and Granada seemed to look after their archives better since all Coronation Street and Emmerdale episodes still exist.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    My first soap memories was the 1993 Beckindale Plane Crash, I was at my grans and she’s watched Emmerdale since the mid 1980s I thought it was a disaster film at the time, I was only four

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    We used to have a few Crossroads fans on here before the crash, the only member I think may know is @Angela Christmas - If you're out there, can you remember when this story was?

:floor:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,012
    Medals:
    Great question.

My earliest memory was a special episode of Crossroads that was only broadcast in the Thames TV London area. Until that point, London viewers were always about 6 months behind on episode broadcast dates compared with the rest of the country. In the run up to Meg's wedding to Hugh Mortimer, Londoners were treated to a catch-up episode in which Meg, Sandy and possibly Jill too, spoke directly to camera and explained what happened in the missing episodes before we went into an ad break after which we saw the second half of an episode that was at the same stage in the story as the rest of the country.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    Bloody hell! I'm shocked.

8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,012
    Medals:
    The story you refer to in your earlier post was when Linda Welch was killed by the married manager of the Crossroads garage with who she was having an affair and tried to blackmail him when he tried to end it. I think his name was Colin but I'm not sure. Benny found the body and Colin came in and said "Oh Benny, what have you done?" and then the credits rolled. I reckon it was about 1980.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    Brilliant!!! Thank you.

I remember that scene much better now and it was the implication this guy was making which what caused me to panic as a little naive boy looking at the grown-up world of television.

Both Crossroads and Corrie were always on our TV in the 70s, but it's only the more dramatic scenes I remember. In fact, I remember hating those shows back then and now I can't get enough of Corrie.

10. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,042
    Medals:
    I remember the Crossroads fire, but better than that I remember the Southfork fire. That's my earliest memory of Sue Ellen. I was so upset cos I thought she was going to die. I was only a tote at the time.:(

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    When it comes to Dallas, the earliest scene I remember is one with JR & Bobby and there was snow on the ground. I didn't fully appreciate Dallas until a little later. It was my dad who watched it back then. I do remember feeling scared of Katherine and then that fear turned to lust, well lust from a young teenage boy's mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,012
    Medals:
    I don't remember everything about Crossroads from that time because I would have still been in infant or junior school but I vividly remember that piece of dialogue because of the injustice of the way he blamed Benny for a crime that he himself committed.

13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,042
    Medals:
    :D

I used to be scared of her too. My mum used to say (classic N Irish expression) 'She's a bad egg' every time she was on screen.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    Yes and now you've helped me remember it. :jb:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    My earliest Brookside memory was watching a woman (Petra) waking up and finding her husband (Gavin) dead in the bed, lying just by her side. That was quite traumatic.

I didn't become a fan of the show until days before Petra disappeared and again I found myself on the edge of my seat wondering if they were going to find her. I was even more distraught when they said she was dead.

16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,794
    I was looking and hoping to find that scene with Colin & Benny, but no luck.

I did find this

17. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,042
    Medals:
    We still call those hats 'Benny hats'.

18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,012
    Medals:
    I don't really watch Coronation Street regularly (I only ever watched it after big storyline was promoted in the media) so I'm not sure of the timelines and which came first. I remember Ernest Bishop being shot in a robbery and a lorry crashing and tipping it's load on the street where Deidre left Tracey in a pushchair.

19. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Even though I know I watched parts of Dallas when my mom was watching it, and I remember her correctly predicting Kristin as the perpetrator over the "Who Shot J.R." summer, I do not actually have any memory of them. My first memory of a soap is of the pilot episode of Dynasty, which I was able to watch because everybody else was talking with relatives visiting from Austria, and I had the TV to myself. When the Bill Conti music started going and I saw the mansion, I felt this was going to be different from anything I had ever watched before. And so an addiction was born, at the age of 10.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +467
    It's probably not my first but the one memory that stands out for me is always Tiffany's NYE death on Eastenders. She was my absolute favourite character at the time - I was 6 years old:p - and I was really sad when she died, especially because it was so scary and sudden.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)