1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Would You Have Enjoyed A Dallas Thanksgiving Episode?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    I would have. It wouldn't necessarily been high in drama, but it wouldn't have had to have been. Seeing them celebrate Thanksgiving, even if maybe just on a few of the years Dallas was on, or maybe every other year, would have been fun and kind of unique.

They were clearly a family that loved each other or they wouldn't have all chosen to live together! I found that my favorite episodes were often ones where the Ewings united against an outside threat. I think that's what I liked best about them - that for all their differences, they would still get together and help each other when it really mattered the most.

2. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Medals:
    DALLAS usually ignored holidays and birthdays and things like that, the Ewingverse was so inward-looking.

But Season 12 (per DVD count) smells right for an American Thanksgiving. And maybe Season 13 could do Christmas (with Ellie and Clayton dressed up as Santa and Mrs Claus). But no earlier in the program's run.

3. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    There’s an episode in the dream season (can’t remember the episode title), where Sue Ellen decides to move back to Southfork. All the family are together and there’s a very ‘Christmassy, holiday vibe’ about it. And i think it was transmitted just before Christmas

4. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +701
    I think it's such a shame Dallas missed out on all the holiday themes- obviously it would look incredibly dated to watch back but that's half the fun of old episodes:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +476
    They probably would have made something up about Miss Ellie’s stuffing being legendary when in reality it was Teresa doing the work.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,333
    I've always been curious why Dallas didn't celebrate festive seasons or touch on religion. It was like a conscious decision was made from the get go not to entertain those themes.

I would have preferred if Christmas was celebrated...with a side serving of Ewing drama.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Do you think that maybe the reason was that they couldn't quite figure out how to offer a "side serving of Ewing drama" on a Thanksgiving or Christmas episode? That maybe they figured that having the Ewings be nice to each other on a holiday would be boring but have them be mean to each other, especially on Christmas, would be in bad taste?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland

Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,664
    We may have missed the major holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving, but the show made up for it in a way.

The barbecue. the rodeo, and the Oil Barons’ Ball were holidays in their own right, and let’s not forget smaller celebrations like the traditional 9th Anniversary Surprise Party.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Unlike daytime soaps that would devote weeks around the holidays, nighttime soaps only had 20 plus weeks to tell a story. Really no time for a holiday episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland

Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,664
    only if we got to see the Ewings throw stuffing and turkey legs at each other!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,333
    Not at all. Little John Ross is annoyed because daddy is away on business ;) Sue Ellen is sipping on eggnog because she knows exactly where JR has unwrapped his Christmas present. Miss Ellie gives Sue Ellen a good telling off because her mood is dragging the whole family down. Christopher vomits on Pam so she uses the excuse to join Bobby in the shower. That's his Christmas gift taken care of. Lucy is working at the Hot Biscuit because she wants to appreciate how the working class do Christmas. Ray steps in cow dung so he is happy as a pig in sh#t.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Thankfully, the British soaps never balked at such an idea...

13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,800
    Medals:
    There is a Thanksgiving video lurking around somewhere of the cast wishing the viewers Happy Thanksgiving. Sue Ellen is dressed in the outfit she arrived home in after being kidnapped by BD Calhoun. It's a really fun scene.

14. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Probably one of those old Macy Thanksgiving Day parade ads when CBS would have the cast of their shows wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

15. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Barbara Belle Of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,935
    Medals:
  16. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,333
    How I miss Larry's laugh.

17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,333
    Christmas can bring out the best and worst in people. Thankfully my family gatherings on Christmas morning are a dull affair. I do remember on my late mothers side of the family the extended family would meet at my grandmothers home every Christmas afternoon. It was often the only time I would catch up with aunts, uncles and cousins. Then the juicy gossip would begin. My aunt would fill me in on all the latest gossip. "Those two brothers over there have stopped talking to each because their respective wives had a spat."

Though Christmas should be about peace and goodwill it also has the ability to heighten emotions. It's why it can make for good television.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1