1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming

8/8 Not Long To Wait...

8/8 So Save The Date

Dismiss Notice

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,531
    Medals:
    I may be missing something but did you choose a winner for match 12? You seem to be implying that you prefer Home and Away, am I right?

2. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Oh you missed nothing, I forgot to add it! Now amended. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +869
    Match 11: Coronation Street- it was 1 of 3 British soaps I would watch religiously as a child.

Match 12: Home & Away- it's the only one I've heard of.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,733
    Medals:
    I haven't seen any of these so just going on reputation:

Match 11: Coronation Streey
    Match 12: Home & Away

Although, Paul McCartney did cover the Crossroads theme on Venus and Mars ... :think:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,721
    Medals:
    thats me too, I felt guilty for NOT watching it for a while as it was tradition and id been there for years and had enjoyed it especially in the 80s and 90s, its a bit like saying new Dallas was dreadful nonsense

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,435
    Medals:
    Game 11 - CORONATION STREET: While you could suggest the soap from Manchester is off the boil, compared to it's glory years there is no denying the imprint created from the show, on T.V. screens across the world. Many of the legendary characters are gone e.g. Annie Walker; Bet Lynch, Hilda Ogden, Mike Baldwin and the Duckworths, yet ole Kenneth Barlow, Rita, Audrey and her daughter Gail are still around for the connection to better times, of the programme. CROSSROADS is a Golden Oldie though IMHO it cannot better CS, when the cobbles provided some of the best soap ever.

Game 12 - RED ROCK: As I said before I have only watched a couple of episodes. However because the show is Irish I'm casting my vote for RR. Home and Away is an Oz biggie and a compelling rival to the 'good days' as I call them i.e. Neighbours but the Summer Bay folks don't get me in their cafe, for this particular competition.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    To reminisce while we are on Corrie’s week, here’s a few lovely covers from my collection. I forgot Raquel! She was super. Sarah Lancashire has really shone in her acting career. Gosh those were the days... 8D969C49-02C8-4C91-9ED2-AD7DD5FD5C4B.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Match 11: Crossroads for me, definitely.
    Match 12: Going with what I did watch some, Home & Away!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +918
    Medals:
    Match 11 - As to be Coronation Street
    Match 12 - Home and Away

• Like Like x 4
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,887
    Medals:
    Match 11 - this match is a tough one. I was too young to remember Crossroads during it's original run as it ended when I was four. However, I was an avid viewer of the first version of the revival in the early 00's and thanks to the wonder of YouTube, I've been able to experience some of the original show. I find the whole production of the show fascinating. The fact that it was modelled on US daytime soaps in terms of it being stripped five days a week and ending episodes with a steady stream of cliffhangers. The fact that it had a leading lady in Noele Gordon when other soaps were more ensemble focused. The battles in the 80's to keep it on air when the network clearly wanted rid of it despite it still pulling in bumper ratings. The attempt to rejuvenate it as Kings Oak near the end of it's run. Like Eldorado, I think I may love the behind the scenes drama more than the actual onscreen drama itself. Coronation Street is something that was a constant on my TV growing up. My era is the 90's when Bet was at the helm of the Rovers. The show has gone to the dogs nowadays but there's no doubting it's place in TV history and the writing was top notch for many years. And the list of iconic characters that the show churned out could fill pages. Bet, Elsie, Annie, Ena, Deirdre, Blanche, Raquel, Hilda. I could go on and on. But for this match, I'm going to go with Crossroads. It was the little show that could. It could be OTT. It was more extravagant than other soaps on air at the time (witness Meg's wedding to Hugh in a packed cathedral that would rival the royals). It wasn't afraid to do stuff like breaking the fourth wall in the spirit of Christmas (see below). It was a unique soap the likes of which hasn't been seen on British TV since.

Match 12 - H&A was a staple of my childhood viewing and gave us such classic characters as Alf & Ailsa, Bobby, Pippa and Morag. However, I haven't watched the show for over a decade now and even when I last watched it, I felt it had lost the charm of it's 90's heyday. My vote for this match is Red Rock. We only really had it for a short stint in soap terms and I did drift away from it when it moved to once a week but the first year was outstanding. The McGonigle arc just kept getting twistier and twistier and drew in so many of the characters. It was soap writing at it's best and IMO is the best soap ever to come out of Ireland (sorry Glenroe).

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,531
    Medals:
    Crossroads was unique in that it ended with 2 cliffhangers: the first main cliffhanger lead into end credits and at the end of the credit there was additional short scene which took the cliffhanger on bit.

Crossroads cliffhangers were also very different from other soaps in that they ranged from being trivial to high drama. For example, one cliffhanger being Shughie McFee finding a spider in a trifle and another being Rosemary Hunter shooting her ex-husband David after he announced his engagement to Barbara Brady. (The Shughie McFee incident, although it seemed a low key cliffhanger at the time, it was the beginning of a fascinating storyline covering Shughie's grief and subsequent mental breakdown following the guilt he felt after his mother died).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,531
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The folks from Crossroads are correct, the poll does indeed close tomorrow at midday. Vote for your winner between Crossroads and Coronation Street and between Red Rock and Home and Away before it's too late.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
  14. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +777
    Medals:
    Match 11) Coronation Street - quite simply a national institution which has been part of the British tv landscape for almost six decades.

So many wonderful, larger than life, illuminated characters over the years such as Bet & Alec, Stan & Hilda, Roy & Hayley, Emily, Annie, Ken & Deirdre, Alf & Audrey, Jack & Vera etc.

At its best it can make you laugh whilst also tugging at your heartstrings.

For all its faults in recent years, I still regard it as Britain's brightest, biggest and best soap opera.

Match 12) Home and Away - because I've never seen or heard of Red Rock so the long running antipodean soap gets my vote.

• Like Like x 5
  15. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,646
    Medals:
    Match 11 - Crossroads was my first soap love (as a little kid, I was one of the crowd outside Birmingham Cathedral when Meg and Hugh got married -- it made no sense, she was an unknown motel owner, not royalty!) and watching it again on DVD, it's nowhere near as terrible as its reputation. It's just the fact that everything happens inside a motel (which again makes no sense, we don't even have motels in Birmingham!) is what makes it kind of bizarre. But Coronation Street was always on another level. I haven't really watched it for about ten years -- for no real reason, there just aren't enough hours in the day -- but prior to that, it was a regular fixture since I was old enough to stay up till 8pm. I don't think any soap has ever relished language the way Corrie does. It can make you laugh and break your heart practically at the same time. So Coronation Street for me.

Match 12 - Red Rock, for reasons already stated. I haven't watched Home and Away since Melissa George was a girl, but I used to really like it. I always thought it was slightly edgier than Neighbours. It had an adolescent boy nicknamed Tug, for starters!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,454
    Medals:
    You helped make soap history?! Oh my.

If you ever feel like expanding on this I'd love to see what you have to say on this subject.

Same here.

17. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,531
    Medals:
    I'm so impressed you were there. I never thought about how bizarre it was for the wedding to be held in cathedral and for huge crowds to turn up. Totally unrealistic of course but greatly entertaining and would be equivalent to setting Mick and Linda Carter's EastEnders wedding in St Paul's Cathedral and for half of London to go there to watch.

I vaguely remember Meg getting married to Hugh Mortimer, I'm not sure whether my memory was from watching the first broadcast, a rerun or a clip on another show, but I do recall a relatively unknown singer called Stephanie de Sykes performing a song at the wedding and the power of Crossroads lead to it getting in the Top 20.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,531
    Medals:
    The poll has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results of last week's 2 matches in the World Cup of Soap Operas are as follows:

Match 9:
    Crossroads - 6
    Coronation Street - 13

Match 10:
    Home and Away - 12
    Red Rock - 7

I declare the winners of matches 9 and 10 to be Coronation Street and Home and Away.

[​IMG]

Thank you to everyone who took part in this round.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,531
    Medals:
    So we reach for the remote control to switch off Crossroads and Red Rock leaving the following soap operas in the contest:

[​IMG]

Details of the next 2 matches will be posted tomorrow and will include a clash of the titans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
    OOOOOOOOOOOO here we go!!! :spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning: