World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela's Mulled Wine, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,992
    Medals:
    The following 32 shows have qualified for the World Cup of Soap Operas:

[​IMG]

Hopefully some of your favourites are still in the contest.

The draw has now been made and some interesting matches have been thrown up. I will post details of the first 2 matches on this thread tomorrow.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Angela's Mulled Wine

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,992
    Medals:
    The 32 qualifying soap operas have been entered in the fixture software to randomly select which soap operas will compete against each other in the first round. The first 2 matches came out as follows:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of either match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in making their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 27th August 2019.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Angela's Mulled Wine

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,992
    Medals:
    As this is the first knock out vote, I’ll go first to clarify how to participate for anyone who is still unsure how this works.

Match 1 – Knots Landing – I’ve never watched Hollyoaks so I don’t really know a great deal about this soap although it has always appeared to be interesting. Knots Landing on the other hand, I’ve seen every episode and thought it was great especially the first few seasons. Although my favourite storyline was the one relating to the kidnap of Val’s babies, I liked the first 2 seasons best when many plots were often wrapped up in a single episode and the show was even more of an ensemble piece with a different character taking centre stage each week. Knots Landing also had one of my favourite scenes ever in a soap opera: Abby breaking down the bathroom door with a hammer to stop Olivia taking drugs. That scene had everything a soap opera should have: great characters, high melodrama, a storyline told in an over the top manner, gripping plot and an eagerly awaited and unpredictable conclusion. Knots Landing is an easy winner of this match for me.

Match 2 – Howards’ Way – If this was the World Cup of TV Dramas and not the World Cup of Soap Operas, The Crown would have been my choice as it’s one of the best series I seen on TV this millennium. However, it’s not a soap opera, it’s a biographical drama so I can’t vote for it.

I’ve never watched Howards’ Way and never really had any interest in it but I consider it to be a true soap opera as its story was told in real time and had an open-ended plotline. I consider Howard’s Way to be the more deserving soap opera to win this match.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,495
    Medals:
    Whew. The first matches have been pain-free for me. No Sophie's/Sue Ellen's/Abby's Choice just yet...

Match One

Even though it looks excitingly dramatic, I missed the Hollyoaks bus really. By the time it began I was moving away from teen dramas. Knots grabbed me at a time when my enjoyment of US soaps was at its peak. The BBC pulling it off the air for four years meant that it returned just in time for me to appreciate its peak years. Wonderfully written and performed by some truly great thespians, the series moved me countless times in a way that few other series could.

So my vote goes to...
    Knots Landing

Match Two

I share Angela's view that The Crown isn't a soap. But even if it were, I love the soapy greatness of Howards' Way so darned much this would still be a no brainer. It was appointment TV for me in the mid to late Eighties, and watching the DVDs several years ago it had stood the test of time remarkably well. Good writing doesn't date - even when a lead character drives an MG Metro.

It has to be...
    Howards' Way

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  5. Angela's Mulled Wine

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,992
    Medals:
    I know what's coming, it's not always going to be like that.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,495
    Medals:
    How exciting... and terrifying!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,246
    Match one is my first nightmare. I love Hollyoaks, it has some of the more creative, more outlandish style plots and for that alone, I want to vote it. That's not going to happen because as much as I love Hollyoaks, I am going with Knots. Val's babies is one of the very best soap stories of the 80s and it played out for such a long time yet was filled with brilliant twists and a very rewarding conclusion.

Match One = Knots Landing

Match two is the easiest of choices. Any soap opera that comes up against a series like The Crown is going to triumph for me, simply because I find it more amusing that it could ever be seen as a soap opera.

Match Two = Howards' Way

• Like Like x 7
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,280
    Medals:
    Knots Landing

Howards' Way

• Like Like x 8
  9. Mistletoe Stevens

Mistletoe Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,452
    Medals:
    Match 1- Knots Landing
    Match 2- The Crown

• Like Like x 8
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,003
    Knots Landing

Howard’s Way

• Like Like x 7
  11. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,310
    Medals:
    1. Knots Landing
    This is my second favorite tv-series of all time. Great drama, great characters, interesting couples to root for, superb writing and a wonderful cast. :hat:

2. The Crown
    It is a great series about the British Royal family. Yes it is a biographical drama. But I still consider it to have enough soap opera elements to classify as a soap opera.
    The whole argument that it is not a soap is ridiculous considering that the show has been selected to participate in this contest and has knocked out other soap operas to be a part of it. Apparently enough viewers thinks it is a soap opera so at this point the voting should come down to which of the two series that you prefer, The Crown or Howards Way. Since I have never watched Howard's Way the choice is easy for me. :D

• Like Like x 6
  12. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,300
    Medals:
    M1: Knots Landing
    M2: Howard's Way

• Like Like x 5
  13. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,495
    Medals:
    Oh, if other voters are persuasive enough with their reasons, I'm hoping to vote for at least a couple I haven't watched over the course of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Barbara Belle Of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,984
    Medals:
    my vote

r1 Knots landing - although I never got into it and gave up when Sid sadly died on the operating table

r2 - The crown, beautifully acted, casted and nostalgic

• Like Like x 6
  15. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    Match 1 - Naughty Nutty Knots

I've never really seen Hollyoaks properly. When it first started, I was very annoyed with producer Phil Redmond for ruining Brookside so I wasn't inclined to give his new show a chance. As it's gone on and on, and on and on, and on and on, and an interesting array of refugees from other soaps have popped up in it, I've occasionally thought of hopping on board, but I'm such an anal-retentive I feel like I'd want to do it from the beginning and I don't want to watch it that much. I peeped in last year when a friend of mine was in it, but of course, when you don't know who anyone is or what's going on, you feel like you're visiting an alien planet. An alien planet full of fake tan and hair extensions.

And Knots is of course brilliant. I grew up in the belief that American TV, especially soaps, were lowest common denominator trash even though I loved them. So there were times when I first watched Knots during the Alec Baldwin/Bill Devane period that I almost wondered if it was allowed to be as it good as it was. So it's no contest really.

Match 2 - Howard's End

I think The Crown is jaw-droppingly good and hugely compulsive and has many soapy aspects, but it isn't a soap. So it's Howard's Keel for me, even though I've never actually seen it. But Mel's description has me properly intrigued.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  16. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Match 1: Hollyoaks- I'm not a huge fan but I've watched more episodes of Hollyoaks than Knots Landing (plus, Linda Gray was in it so...):p

Match 2: The Crown- Like others, I wouldn't consider it a "soap" as such but I've never even heard of Howard's Way.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,821
    Medals:
    Match One - Knots Landing: I was a regular Hollyoaks viewer back in the day and it has carved it's own bonkers little niche that sets it out in a league of it's own compared to the other UK soaps. Hard hitting story-lines involving radicalization occupy the same world where serial killers are ten a penny and villains are killed off in fairy light electrocutions. It's off the wall. So hooray for Hollyoaks. Alas, my heart belongs in Seaview Circle. I was a late convert to Knots, stupidly thinking it was the pedestrian cousin to it's more glamorous 80's counterparts. But when I rediscovered it, I fell in love. As others have pointed out, the Val's babies storyline is soap opera at it's best and the core cast during it's imperial phase middle years of seasons 4 - 6 were the best in soapland IMO.

Match Two - Howards Way: I'm also part of the "The Crown is not a soap" brigade. It is amazing drama which I'm really looking forward to seeing again but in my mind, it is a period drama. Howards' Way is another of those shows that I discovered in reruns. I've never watched it right through but the female leads like Jan and Laura in their British 80's high fashion always drew me in. Plus, anything with Kate O'Mara vamping it up is always solid gold.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,280
    Medals:
    Match One: Knots Landing

Match Two: Howard's Way

• Like Like x 5
  19. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,280
    Medals:
    I'll confess I was relieved to start the game with two no-brainers, imagine the horror of Knots Landing vs. Peyton Place.
    However, the real fun is in the challenge - even if that's going to result in chaos, public meltdowns and angry forum members threatening to leave the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,280
    Medals:
    Round 36: "Knots Landing versus Dallas"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)