1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - Semi Final

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by Angela's Mulled Wine, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

1. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,919
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

We are nearing the end of the World Cup of Soap Operas and it's semi-finals week. The remaining 4 soap operas were drawn to compete against each other as follows:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of one match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 10th December 2019.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    1. Dallas
    2. Corrie

• Like Like x 7
  3. Mistletoe Stevens

Mistletoe Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,358
    Medals:
    Match 1- Dallas
    Match 2- Coronation Street

• Like Like x 7
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    Oh crap!
    I rather would have saved Dallas and Knots for the big finale since I don't care about Corrie or Peyton Place. :(

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Barbara Belle Of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,935
    Medals:
    Dallas and Corrie for me too

knew it would be a Dallas v KL battle - just like JR and Gary!!

• Like Like x 6
  6. Santa Englishboy

Santa Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +661
    Medals:
    Match 1) DALLAS

Match 2) CORONATION STREET

• Like Like x 7
  7. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,179
    Medals:
    Match 1
    I enjoy Dallas when I watch it but I don't have a special connection with it. It's kinda bizarre that I did feel that connection (in a retroactive sort of way) when I watched New Dallas.
    But KNOTS LANDING is so beautifully detailed in so many ways and overall I found it extremely satisfying.
    It's as highbrow as soap opera can be (and I'll include Dynasty's season 1 too) and eventhough I didn't watch it during its original run in the eighties, it feels like I've always known Knots Landing.
    And that's why my vote goes to the most significant spin-off series in the history of television.
    upload_2019-12-4_18-52-33.png

Match 2
    It's good to see that my other favourite from my Top 3 All-time Favourites is still in the game. And pretty much for the same reasons as Knots Landing.
    The writing, the actors, the camera work, the atmosphere - it's hard to beat the soap richness of PEYTON PLACE. There are so many beautiful scenes that will linger on in my memory forever.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,271
    Medals:
    Match 1: Dallas

Match 2: Corrie

• Like Like x 5
  9. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    Medals:
    Match 1: Knots Landing
    and
    Match 2: Coronation Street

• Like Like x 4
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,485
    Medals:
    I totally love them both, and for the most part, KNOTS is clearly the better of the two--smarter, wittier, twistier, turnier, more believable, more moving, more everything. But DALLAS is just wedged deeper into my heart. It's the sheer epic saga-ness of it all. And the cartoonlike thrillingness. Also, I'm currently watching New DALLAS for the first time in five years and it's every bit as good as I remembered - I just love it so much. So DALLAS for me.

CORRIE has had its truly wonderful eras and characters, but PEYTON PLACE is five intense, almost poetic years of pretty much unbroken top quality soap -- and it's just so achingly '60s. So PP for me please.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:52 PM
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,919
    Medals:
    Match 1 - I could make a strong case to vote for either show. If I was just considering the first 10 seasons of Dallas, it would be an easy win for the Texan based soap but the later seasons, and what I consider to be the awful TNT version, brings down the average significantly. Knots Landing on the other hand maintained a higher quality throughout its run and at its peak was as good as Dallas. So taking everything together, and even though Dallas is my favourite show ever, my vote is for Knots Landing.

Match 2 -Both significant, ground-breaking soaps but Peyton Place is the better show. I've only seen a few episodes and I was really taken by the high production values of the show, it looks almost cinematic at times. The writing and acting is also first rate. Peyton Place also laid the ground work for prime-time soaps like Dallas and Falcon Crest to succeed. The characters were great, my favourite being Constance MacKenzie who was such a compelling character from her first scene when she appeared with an eye-catching asymmetric hairdo. My vote is for Peyton Place.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,807
    Medals:
    Match 1 - Dallas was the first of the 80's soaps that I became aware of as a kid. I knew it was big news whereas Knots Landing was that show that my aunt watched on daytime TV that had sandcastles in the opening credits and people having sex in saunas. It was a non-entity in my mind compared to it's parent show (which I didn't realise was it's parent show until much later). I became further embedded in Dallas when it was rerun in the late 90's. Awareness of Knots grew but again, I regarded it as a minnow compared to Dynasty (which had grabbed my attention in reruns) Dallas and even the shiny Falcon Crest which I'd recently discovered. It wasn't until the early 2010's when Knots Landing was being aired in double or sometimes triple bills in the middle of the night, that I finally sat down to watch it and finally fell in love with it. I've mentioned in other rounds how well written it was, how I love the characters and how I love the Val's babies arc. Dallas was great but I feel that it kind of went around in circles as the years wore on on whereas Knots showed natural progression. There was a beginning, middle and end to that show and while it's later years can't quite compete with it's mid-80's imperial phase, it's a lot better than Dallas, which was a shadow of it's former self in it's twilight period. So it's Knots Landing for this match for it's longevity and evolution.

Match 2 - as mentioned before, Peyton Place is a gem that I'm looking forward to visiting. However Coronation Street gets the vote for this match as it was a mainstay on our TV when I was growing up and while it's been pretty sh*t for quite a while now, I still have a love for it's first four decades which gave us a host of classic characters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Match One

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dallas
    was my first US soap love (and probably the second soap I watched after Corrie). It was part of my formative years and so I have vivid - albeit fragmented - memories of some of the first episodes and scenes I remember watching (the helicopter stopping Bobby's car in No More Mister Nice Guy; then the rattlesnake scene from a daytime repeat of The Lost Child). It was the series that introduced me to the end-of-season cliffhanger: my turning point from occasionally seeing a scene here and there to being a Dallas fan was watching End Game while I was on the children's ward in hospital, and it was must-see TV from that point on. I loved the cliffhangers and the huge dramas.

Knots Landing was a different story. I clearly remember watching one Second Season episode in the early Eighties and that was all I had before the BBC pulled it off the air for four years. During that time, I discovered Dallas. Dynasty and The Colbys were also on my watch-every-week list. Knots developed a mythical status as the series I dimly recalled and thought I'd probably never see again. By the time Knots returned to UK TV in late 1986 (now part of the daytime schedule!), the other US soaps - even though I still watched - were off the boil. I didn't consciously realise that then, but I think part of me knew. Even though the big hair and early 80s fashions made Knots look a little dated even then, that added to the appeal. Even though it was new to me, it already had a nostalgia element. And added underdog factor: I had to seek it out and make a point of watching. It wasn't mainstream and very few people actually watched it. And it certainly wasn't the kind of series kids would talk about in the playground. Ironically, Knots returned to screens at almost the EXACT MOMENT US soaps in general became objects of ridicule among thanks to Dallas's resurrection of Bobby. All of which made it feel underground and edgy. But there was something else... I came for the early Eighties soap fix, but I stayed because it turned out Knots was bloody good. By the time the Ciji arc was in full bloom I was completely invested in these characters. And it mattered not that the women still had big hair. Because it was some of the best written material. Part of me felt it couldn't last. That Knots would probably crash and burn as Dallas did. I didn't look forward to the day it insulted my intelligence and became a chore to watch. But that day never came. And even though Dynasty, Dallas and the others had been off the air for many years by the time Knots actually wrapped for me, that series ending was worth waiting for. I saved the best soap for last*.

There's no question in my mind that it's...
    Knots Landing

Match Two

[​IMG]

This could have gone either way for me. Corrie was the first soap I watched. It was around long before I was born and so has never not been part of my world. Even today, some of the writing in those early episodes stands out as great stuff. Tony Warren gave the series a wonderful voice that still speaks today. I love its Britishness, its cosiness and its earthiness. Visiting the set some years ago felt both surreal and incredibly right at the same time, so familiar did it feel. It's a cracker of a show.

I didn't discover Peyton Place until sometime in the mid-Nineties when it aired from beginning to end on Sky Soap. I'd heard of it, of course, and knew it was the first US prime time soap. My Mum had apparently watched it at times. At the time I sought out as much material as I could: Grace Metalious's books, the two original films. Plus books based on the series (even though I haven't read them since that first time almost a quarter of a century ago, I still have two of these late Sixties paperbacks: Hero In Peyton Place and The Evils Of Peyton Place. Both boast salacious photo covers of naked couples entwined against lurid backgrounds. I can't remember the content, though I can vividly remember where I was when I read one of them. I'm sure they must be terrible). All were enjoyable, particularly Metalious's first book and the original film.

On paper, the series should have failed. In terms of controversial material, it's more watered down than the film. Which in turn was more watered down than the book. Which itself was evidently watered down considerably from the book Metalious wanted to publish which was said to be based on real life. In practice, though, all this worked in the series' favour, creating a very different animal from the other media - its initial black and white episodes balancing the cosy, picturesque light and the gothic, shadowy darkness. I loved the series. There was a special something about it: an emotional intelligence that reached me on a deep level. Much like Knots Landing before it. The writing was (and is) wonderful. As were the production values. The stories went somewhere special and I love how quietly progressive it was at times. Had the series run as long as Coronation Street, I'm sure I'd feel differently about it. But as it is, this almost perfectly formed little series had time to impress and no time to disappoint.

It's a tough call, but I'm going with...
    Peyton Place

[​IMG][​IMG]

* Though there's still Falcon Crest. Which I hope to get round to watching one of these days.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1