Why didn't Gary just ask Bobby?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Angela Channing, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    One (of several things) that always bothered me about Knots Landing is why Gary took money from JR in season 2.

Gary was involved in a deal involving stolen car parts and needed $50,000 urgently. Abby contacted JR and set up the loan but JR insisted that Gary ask for the money himself. Gary refused to have anything to do with JR until the screws were put on him to pay up the money at which point he went cap in hand to JR. But why didn't he just ask Bobby or Miss Ellie to lend his the money if he hated doing business with JR so much?

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,329
    I'll assume he (Gary) was ashamed of being involved in something shady/illegal, and he would prefer not to have Bobby or Miss Ellie involved, since they might find out the details and be disappointed in him. Gary cared what Miss Ellie and Bobby thought of him, while he had no concern whatsoever for what JR thought of him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Yes. And compounding it, Bobby's The Loudest Word tirade - about Gary having no courage and Miss Ellie knowing - would still be resonating with Gary.

The flaw with this reasoning is that JR would happily find a way to let Miss Ellie know that Gary had gone to the dark side if it would keep him from Southfork (and assuming JR could do that without revealing his own part in things). But Gary at this point wasn't exactly clear thinking, so I'd buy his going to JR rather than Bobby or Ellie.

4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,360
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    And why didn´t Bobby warn Gary that there was a potential killer sleeping under their roof when Kristin showed up in Cali? Because I seem to remember that there was a call at some point in that episode. The inconsistencies in the crossovers seem fascinating to me though! The Ewings of Dallas did seem to come from a parallel universe sometimes and do things that were incompatible in one way or another with what they were doing on "Dallas"...not to mention the Dream Season crossover, ahem.

[​IMG]

"Why do I have the feeling that all this
    is just a nightmare? And why is Sue
    Ellen wearing such BIG-shoulderpad gowns
    now instead of the bargains of "The Store"?​

5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    That's a really good point which I didn't consider before. I always thought it was a plot hole but that makes total sense.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    I expect he forgot. I did the same thing when my aunt informed me that my half-niece was asking to stay with her.

• Like Like x 1
  7. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    But Bobby’s visit in The Loudest Word was four episodes after that.

8. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    At that point, Gary needed the money to pay Roy and Frank the very next day. Upon which, he also turned up on Dallas for Lucy’s wedding to Mitch.

I’m not too sure about that. If JR did that, it might hurt their mother too deeply. It reminds me of the reasoning behind his wanting to make sure that Gary and Ellie spend some time together the day after Jock’s Will is read, before he makes sure his brother leaves Dallas promptly. By loaning Gary the extra money, JR is already taking steps to make sure that his brother doesn’t get his legs broken and stays out of Dallas.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    • Like Like x 1