Why did Lucy return?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Herofan, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Was there a bigger involvement intended for Lucy when she returned that just didn’t materialize? Was it Charlene Tilton’s choice to leave again, or did they let her go? The general idea of an original character returning was good; I guess they thought it might revive things a little, but it never went anywhere. Mostly, she just hung out and tried too hard to make snide remarks about JR.

2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    Medals:
    Same reason as for everything else on TNT Dallas: bad and stupid writing.

3. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +274
    The later seasons didn't have a shortage of potentially useful characters, they just had no idea what to do with them. I feel like Sue Ellen could've lasted until the end either in a solid relationship with JR or completely broken up with a solid love interest. They couldn't decide so she just floundered. Then with Lucy, she came back with *such* potential. Smarter, sexier and more mature, but it amounted to nothing. It's sad because her first episodes had real potential, then nothing.

On TNT Dallas it was more of the same. Emma visually could've been her daughter, but we really got nothing from her. Even a reunion with her parents didn't carry the weight it should have considering how long it had been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,257
    Medals:
    Lucy was meant to be the serial killer in season 13 I heard.

Nobody puts Lucy in a corner!

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,752
    Medals:
    For me, although I do understand what you're saying, Lucy is an original and a Ewing. For me it's that simple.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,720
    Medals:
    I think Lucy was brought back on the original series to give a lapsed viewer the impression that, if they happened to check back in, most of the cast was still intact. Of course soon after she returned, she began to appear less and less, as did Miss Ellie and Clayton. But if you only watched the credits, you would assume DALLAS was in better shape than it actually was. Truthfully the writers gave up on Lucy when she dropped out of college and split up with Mitch five minutes after marrying him. Chasing after an uninterested Peter like a silly schoolgirl was a terrible low point for the character, as was dating Casey Denault.

She was in the TNT version likely because the IIC had watched enough of the original series to overthink her importance to the family. She was the oldest grandchild, but no one in the family ever took her seriously, except perhaps Pam in the miniseries.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,796
    Medals:
    Lucy (and Ray) were in the show for blink and you miss them appearances to keep the die hard fans of dallas like me happy!

Totally underused and it was a bit of an insult to both Charlene and Steve, I wouldnt have bothered to pack my case if i were them, such wa the extent of all they had to do (or lack of it)

Another (of many) lost opportunities, They were Dallas - not ramoses, and anyone else we had never heard about in TNT Dallas

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,123
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I would have sent Cally back to Haleyville at the end of her first season and given Lucy her storylines. She still might have invested on art galleries (no matter how unlikely this was...) and fallen in love with Alex (but played by a real actor pleeease). Imagine that J.R. messes up with her personal life and she accidentally overdoses, and then becomes slightly unhinged, and goes to that tacky TV show and ridiculizes the Ewings (and herself). Finally she might have got pregnant with some Dallas stud who used her, and ridden into the sunset to have the baby on her own. At least Charlene would have had something to do...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks for the replies. I apologize for putting this in the wrong topic area. I meant for it to be in the original section wondering why she returned during the original series; some of you mentioned that. I’ve put things in the wrong area before. I thing I forget my Flinstone vitamin sometimes and it affects my thinking. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,257
    Medals:
    In all honesty, I don't see it as that unlikely - at the end of the day, Lucy was a trust fund kid from a very rich family. That she would've tried to make a move into "high society" via buying an art gallery isn't that outlandish for her. Hell, it would've been a good direction to take her character in the earlier seasons when they felt they were competing with Dynasty - have the spoilt rich kid attempt the European glamour thing. Maybe it could've been utilized as a marker about how socialites viewed the Ewings too - red necks that got lucky.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,123
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Now that you mention it, maybe Lucy could have done that, but I never saw her as wanting to get into "high society", rather than giving a damn of it. She was waitressing at The Hot Biscuit, for Soap Gods´ sake! What a résumé...But she might have got a rival among her "friends" (think of "Clueless"...or "Cruel Intentions"...or "Heathers") and really fight with her to ruin her reputation, independently from whether they shared men or not...Actually that was the biggest challenge for the writers, to find something that didn´t have to do with "this season´s boyfriend"...

[​IMG]

Poor Lucy. Clueless. Always...​

12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,257
    Medals:
    Well, to be fair, she also tried to be the world's shortest model, so they could just write it off as Lucy being young and fickle. They could even have other characters commenting on it for effect. JR could mock her when she tried to go under her new name "Lucille" to break into the high society.

Not that I'm actually advocating for more Lucy storylines mind you, but if they had to give her something that's as good as anything.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +213

I read in the National Enquirer that Lucy was suppose to come back to Dallas and work at Ewing Oil and become a junior executive. I was actually looking forward to that when she came back and was disappointed that it never happened.

My guess is that the National Enquirer had it wrong or the writers had intended on doing that but for whatever unknown reason dropped the idea.

There were missed opportunites with Lucy. They could have had her be a fashion designer or a singer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Medals:
    There was no point for Lucy after the initial first season. I’m surprised that the writers were able to keep her as long as they did.

• Agree Agree x 1