Peyton Place Who would you cast in the remake?

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Ked, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    Thought I'd devote a thread to who any of you would cast if Peyton Place received a remake. What stars of today can you see in the shows' roles?

I have several candidates for Constance MacKenzie, my top choice still being January Jones.

[​IMG]

Both are icy blondes with troubled relationships with their respective daughters, but there are a lot of differences between Connie and Betty Draper: Connie's a working single mother with her own business, and gets to have a multitude of romantic interests (Dr. Michael Rossi, Principal Tomas Kyros, Elliot Carson, Leslie Harrington). Plus Connie remains one of the main characters for the entire series run, and gets to go from icy to warm (the opposite of Betty, who started off warm but then became icy), and ends up getting to have several seasons worth of quality time with her daughter. And unlike the non-confrontational Betty who remains stuck in her gilded cage throughout her series, Constance gets to go out and have her own adventures and be apart of the main plot. Plus Connie swears more and has more rebellious/naughty fun.

In fact, I ended up imagining Jon Hamm in the role of Dr. Michael Rossi.

[​IMG]

Hamm said he didn't want to play another Don Draper, and my vision of Dr. Rossi fulfills that wish: Unlike the promiscuous Don, Mike Rossi has a much smaller amount of women he becomes involved with (he seriously pursues Connie before marrying her in Season 6, and remains faithful; the only other woman he has any romantic link to is Ann Colby, and that's only because in Seasons 3 and 4, he believes nothing will happen between him and Connie). He also, obviously, has a different profession, is a lot more honest and blunt, not to mention has fewer hangups, isn't a drunk, and forms real connections with his fellow townsfolk, unlike Don Draper, who prefers to dazzle strangers.

Plus, having Jones and Hamm back together again could serve as a quasi-wish fulfillment for those who wanted Don and Betty to get back together.

[​IMG]

What about the rest of you? Who do you think would do great in this hypothetical new series?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    Ooh...yesss! Or D.A. John Fowler.

3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    Funny thing about John Fowler: not only do I plan for him to be the prosecutor in Rodney's Season 1 trial, but also for Selena Cross' Season 3 trial, as well as Dr. Rossi's Season 7 trial. Fowler is kind've a recurring antagonist in my series.

4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    But why does Fowler come to mind?

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    Because I liked the Fowlers.

6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    Well yeah, but I meant, why did John Fowler come to your mind when you read about my idea of casting Jon Hamm as Dr. Rossi? Did you think Hamm would do well in the part, or that he looked like the original actor, or something else?

7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    I came up with another casting choice: Bryan Cranston...

[​IMG]

...as either Lucas Cross or Martin Peyton.

Although I was also considering Alan Dale as Martin Peyton.

[​IMG]

8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    I came up with a possible casting choice for Selena Cross. The girl on the far right:

[​IMG]

I have no idea who she is (I know the girl on the far left is Camila Mendes, who plays Veronica on "Riverdale"; so I think the girl on the left is Kiara Moreno, her sister; but I'm not sure), but going by her looks alone, she'd make a perfect Selena (ignoring her Princess Leia buns :lol:).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    Rene Russo as Ada Jacks

10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

She does resemble the original actress. :D Although I had added Ada Jacks to the list of characters who I'd make black in the remake. :lol: Course that only happened because I ended up imagining Ricky Jacks (yes, I made Rita into a man for this remake; because in the book, there were several hints that Norman Page was gay, and I say take the opportunity to allow him to explore that) as black.

And I only imagined that because Norman first realized he was into men thanks to his accidental kiss/quasi-romance with Lew Miles. I ended up joking to myself, "Maybe Norman has a type." Thus, I ended up picturing the other two men Norman becomes involved with (Paul Hanley and Ricky Jacks) as black.

11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    Oh yes! Marcia Cross as Hannah Cord.

[​IMG]

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,370
    Medals:
    But I want Glenn Close!

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    There's no question she's a great actress, but I think she's a little too old for the part. I've always seen Hannah being in her 50s, a realistic age for playing the mother of a man in his mid-to-late 2os (Steven). At 71, I think Glenn Close would be better suited for Agnes Carlisle. She's a character from the book's sequel, "Return to Peyton Place."

I was thinking for the remake, Agnes is a retired schoolteacher struggling every month to make ends meet on her pension, and happens to meet up with Betty Anderson while the latter is staying in New York in Season 4. Agnes and Betty become very friendly, and Betty ends up inviting Agnes back to Peyton Place and tries fixing her up with Martin Peyton. Much to the chagrin of Hannah.

14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    Also, there's the question of who'll play the young characters, like Allison, Rodney, Betty, etc. Of course, I don't know any specific young actors who'd work for the parts, so instead, I'll just list what I'd like for each of them to look like.

First up: Allison MacKenzie.

My ideal vision of Allison would be for her to have the face and hair of Leigh Taylor-Young, but also the height and build of Mia Farrow.

upload_2019-2-7_21-7-35.png

The idea is for Allison to look as fragile and doe-like as possible, which is how she was described in the book: great big eyes, long straight brown hair, sensitive mouth, skinny build.

Next up, Rodney Harrington.

Like Allison, I'd like to go with how the book described him: "sensual good looks" and curly black hair. Also, he was supposed to be "too big for his age" at 13, though it never said later on whether that meant he became a tall man or not. Plus, while Rodney did seem fairly athletic, he never pushed himself to be the best; so I don't think he was one of those "built" guys.

When it comes to his hair, I imagined it being the same as Tony Gillingham's from DOWNTON ABBEY:

upload_2019-2-7_21-6-22.png
    Keep in mind, I'm only using this photo as an example of how I'd have Rodney's *hair*. When it comes the actor himself, he'd have to look young enough to pass for 16 (the age all the teen characters start out as).

Of course, when it comes to Betty Anderson, I demand that they find a Barbara Parkins lookalike. I don't care, THIS is what the REAL Betty Anderson looks like:

[​IMG]
    Yup. Vixen-perfection.

And of course, I already uploaded a photo of how I'd like Selena Cross to look, but for the sake of order:

upload_2019-2-7_21-12-8.png

While this isn't necessarily the actual girl I'd hire to play Selena, this is definitely how I'd want her to look. And true, some viewers might get her mixed up with Betty, but there's supposed to be a subtle difference between both girls: Selena is supposed to be "soft and pretty", while Betty is "sexy and conniving." Selena has experienced real suffering and just longs for peace and happiness... well, that, and pretty clothes and to be with the man she loved. Betty, on the other hand, was a gold-digging tramp who happily abused Rodney both on emotional and sometimes even physical levels, but kept stringing him along like an obedient puppy. So I think audiences will learn to tell them apart.

Also, I realized that the type of guy who I'd want to play Ted Carter, the boyfriend/fiance of Selena, I'd want him to look as he did in the book as well: tall, muscular, blond... the way the book described him, he was practically a "man among boys" type at the age of 16. He was the Golden Boy of Peyton Place, as smart and ambitious as he was handsome and popular. Thinking about an actor who looked like that, I couldn't help but be reminded of Trevor Donovan from 90210:

[​IMG]
    (I still remember being insulted by the show when I realized they expected me to believe that this 30-year-old-looking dude was a 17-year-old. :lol:)

Then there's Norman Page. In the book, he was so thin and so pale that you could see the blue veins on his temples. According to Allison, Norman was "very good-looking", but not in a "handsome" way. She realized that he was "pretty", with his long eyelashes and soft, high voice. Actually, thinking about it, Norman would probably look like one of those anime boys. :lol:

As for the rest of the important teen characters (at least the ones who'd appear in Season 1), I'd just have them look like their 1960s counterparts:

Lew Miles:
    upload_2019-2-7_21-42-23.png

Joanne Walker:
    upload_2019-2-7_21-40-2.png

Lisa Yoowing:
    upload_2019-2-7_21-34-38.png

Attached Files: