Superman Who played Superman the best?

Discussion in 'Comics Central' started by Ome, May 26, 2017.

?

Who is your favourite Superman?

1. Kirk Alyn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. George Reeves

20.0%
  3. Christopher Reeve

53.3%
  4. John Haymes Newton

6.7%
  5. Gerard Christopher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dean Cain

6.7%
  7. Tom Welling

6.7%
  8. Brandon Routh

6.7%
  9. Henry Cavill

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,005
    I thought it would be interesting to see who your favourite Superman was and seeing how we have a brand spanking new forum dedicated to the comic world of TV & Movies, why not?

[​IMG]

It's just one vote for your favourite.

Then let's see how you rank them all, or the ones you've watched.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,005
    Kirk Alyn

[​IMG]

Superman (1948)
    Atom Man vs. Superman (1950)

Surprisingly, it took Superman a full decade to make it to the big screen in live-action, with contemporaries like Batman and Captain Marvel beating him to the big show by several years. And while Kirk Alyn’s two serial outings as the Last Son of Krypton, Superman (1948) and Atom Man vs. Superman (1950) aren’t exactly the highlights of Superman’s live action history, it wasn’t really his fault.

George Reeves

[​IMG]

Superman & The Mole Men (1951)

Adventures of Superman (1952-1958)

George Reeves’ portrayal of Superman/Clark Kent turned the traditional dynamic on its ear. Reeves had a prolific if undistinguished big screen career in the '30s and '40s, having appeared as one of the Tarleton twins in Gone With The Wind, and then in dozens of less prestigious productions. The ruggedly handsome Reeves, with his broad smile and lantern jaw, turned Clark Kent, not his caped alter ego, into the central figure of The Adventures of Superman's seven season run on TV. Reeves' Clark was charming, confident, and (occasionally) rather two-fisted and willing to wade into danger in his business suit and glasses.

Christopher Reeve

[​IMG]

Superman: The Movie (1978)
    Superman II (1980)
    Superman III (1983)
    Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

Arguably the best known and most beloved portrayal of Superman belongs to Christopher Reeve, and with good reason. Despite only wearing the cape for four films, some of which were marred by uneven direction, scripts, and special effects after 1978’s unmatched Superman: The Movie, the stage-trained Reeve embodied the altruistic sincerity of the character like nobody before or since.

John Haymes Newton

[​IMG]

Superboy (1988)

The syndicated Superboy TV series, which focused on the adventures of Superman while he was in college, ran for four seasons, but John Haymes Newton only stuck around for the first one. Newton’s Superboy was wise beyond his years, and had a tougher approach and lower tolerance for nonsense than we’ve come to expect from most screen Supermen, while his Clark Kent was more alienated outsider than mild-mannered klutz...a portrayal that predated Smallville by over a decade.

Gerard Christopher

[​IMG]

The Adventures of Superboy (1989-1991)

Often overlooked (like his predecessor), Gerard Christopher put in more hours as the Man of Steel (or Boy of Steel, in this case) than most of the other actors on this list. He put on the costume for an impressive 73 half-hour episodes over the course of three years. Mr. Christopher (much like Mr. Reeve) looked like a Superman comic come to life, and wore the most comic book accurate version of the Superman costume ever seen on screen.

Dean Cain

[​IMG]

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993-1997)

Say what you will about Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, but when it worked, it worked. The first season of Lois & Clark is about as accurate a translation of the character dynamics found in the Superman comics of the early '90s as you’re ever likely to see, and the genuine chemistry between Dean Cain’s Clark Kent and Teri Hatcher’s Lois Lane made for some real on-screen fun.

Tom Welling

[​IMG]

Smallville (2001-2011)

Smallville went to great lengths to pretend it wasn’t really a Superman show, but one look at Tom Welling, even in the earliest episodes, said otherwise. Welling’s chiseled features reminded some of Christopher Reeve, but by the end of Smallville’s impressive ten season run, he had carved out his own place in the Superman mythology.

Brandon Routh

[​IMG]

Superman Returns (2006)

Superman Returns is a divisive film. On the one hand, its perceived lack of superheroic action and the controversial decision to have Superman father a child hurt its box-office returns and prevented a sequel. On the other hand, its thoughtful, reverential approach to the mythology established in the Richard Donner Superman film endeared it to many others.

Henry Cavill

[​IMG]

Man of Steel (2013)
    The most two-fisted Superman we’ve yet seen, Henry Cavill struck the balance between the haunted Last Son of Krypton and the altruistic hero that studios have been looking for for years. Nobody can doubt Cavill’s chiseled looks or incredible physique, and he not only made audiences believe a man could fly...but that he could punch people through buildings. Lots of buildings. Perhaps too many.

• Like Like x 3
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Medals:
    Tyler Hoechlin's butt.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    OMG really??? Definitely Christopher Reeve. He IS Superman.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,005
    Yes, really...:cool1

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    Look. We've talked about this. I'm stuck in an 80's timewarp!!! :p

7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,695
    Medals:
    My vote is based on best costume.

8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,005
    It was always Christopher Reeve for me, but watching nine seasons of Smallville has put Tom Welling truly on top.

When I've finished this, I'm going to watch the Reeve movies and Routh's version, then I will decide.

As it stands now I would go with this.

1. Tom Welling
    2. Christopher Reeve
    3. Henry Cavill
    4. Dean Cain

I'm sure I've watched the earlier movies,. but can't remember them enough to include.

...........................:D

..............................:D

• Like Like x 5
  9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,627
    Medals:
    I've chosen Reeve who seems to embody the character well, though in large part due to the creative all of that first film which all tapped into the mythos and iconography so perfectly.

I love how seriously George Reeves took the role, too.

I really like Brandon Routh, too. There was lots to dislike about Superman Returns, but I thought his casting was one of the best aspects.

John Haymes Newton actually had a certain something about him, too. The series left a lot to be desired though. And Newton's replacement Gerard Christopher was godawful.

Welling and Cavill are handsome enough, but to me just don't have the right look for Kal El.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,695
    Medals:
    I think he looks more like Superman than the original Superman from the comics.
    [​IMG]
    I sort of disagree with this image. Well of course he has to look athletic, but not too muscled, because it seems to suggest that his super-strength comes from human features, instead of supernatural super-power (!). All the muscles in the world couldn't lift airplanes, buildings etc - you either can or you can't.
    Arguably, Cavill has the most authentic costume (minus the colours) but it's exactly that muscle-look that puts me off a little bit. This also applies to all the other superheroes.

But that's not what this thread is all about, so I'm going to back off and let you discuss the movies and series.:D

• Like Like x 4
  11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    Of a grown man wearing his Y Fronts over a pair of blue tights and knee high red boots?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,695
    Medals:
    But people have to recognize him. "Hey look, it's superman!"

13. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,513
    Medals:
    I've been rewatching the Superman movies. I've watched Superman and Superman 2 the past two weekends and tonight I re-watched Superman Returns. I voted for Reeve as my favorite, but nostalgia only barely edges him past Brandon Routh.

1. Reeve
    2. Routh
    3. Cavill
    4. Hoechlin
    5. Welling
    6. Cain

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Medals:
    This is a much tougher call than with Batman but on the basis of the question being "favourite" rather than "played the best" I've gone with the one I grew up with - George Reeves - although Christopher Reeve certainly made the role his own in a different era.

I've never seen the Alyn serials - although I keep promising myself to get them on DVD - but Brandon Routh did a good job with Superman Returns. There were problems with the movie but they were not with him. Likewise with Dean Cain in Lois & Clark. I saw Man of Steel on TV and it was better than I expected but maybe I've just seen one too many Supermans to care about Henry Cavill.

The other three didn't really play Superman as such but I did really enjoy the Superboy series, with Gerard Christopher just edging out his predecessor.

• Like Like x 3
  15. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    stay at home auntie
    Ratings:
    +626
    Christopher Reeves is number 1
    Followed by tom welling and then dean Cain

• Like Like x 2
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,560
    Medals:
    Superman, like the Grinch, must be played by a Capricorn. A young Cary Grant could have done it.

And that's why I have to go with George Reeves. No, he didn't have the body for it (few actors then were buff) and his '50s TV show was absurd in keeping with the medium of the era.

But otherwise, he seems closest to it for me.

None of the others, including Christopher Reeve, ever seemed right at all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,643
    Medals:
    I always thought Christopher's Reeve's portrayal of Superman was good but he got Clark Kent completely wrong. Clark was never meant to be clumsy and accident prone and in the comics was always a comic and at time even an heroic character. On balance I think George Reeves played the role most accurately.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,560
    Medals:
    Obviously, a Capricorn, that Clark:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1