Which season's main cast was the best?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Jan 6, 2019.

?

Which season's main cast do you like best?

1. Season 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Season 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Season 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Season 4

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  5. Season 5

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Season 6-7

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  7. Season 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Season 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Season 10

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  10. Season 11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Season 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Season 13-14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    Hi Everyone,

@Emelee recently posted this on the Dallas board and having just finished a re-watch of Knots Landing I wanted to copy the question to this forum as well.

So which season's main cast do you prefer?

Season 1
    The original cast. Kim Lankford, James Houghton, Michele Lee, Don Murray, John Pleshette, Constance McCashin, Joan van Ark and Ted Shackelford.
    Knots Season One Cast.jpg
    Supporting cast this season also includes: Claudia Lonow, Steve Shaw, Danny Gellis and Patrick Petersen.

Season 2
    Donna Mills is added to the cast.

Season 3
    Don Murray leaves the cast.

Knots.jpg
    Season 4
    Julie Harris and Kevin Dobson are added to the cast

Season 5
    Claudia Lonow, William Devane and Douglas Sheehan are added to the cast. Kim Lankford, James Houghton and John Pleshette leave the cast.
    KnotsSeason5or6.jpg
    Season 6
    Alec Baldwin and Lisa Hartman are added to the cast. Claudia Lonow leaves the cast.

Season 7
    Same as season 6. Alec Baldwin leaves the cast mid-season.

Season 8
    Lisa Hartman leaves the cast.

Season 9
    Douglas Sheehan leaves the cast. Constance McCashin and Julie Harris leave the cast mid-season.

Season 10
    Teri Austin and Nicholette Sheridan are added to the cast.
    IMG_20181214_0002_0001.jpg

Season 11

Donna Mills and Teri Austin leave the cast. Tonya Crowe and Patrick Petersen are added to the cast. (They are actually not new but just promoted to opening credits since they have both been child actors on the show since almost the very beginning!)

Season 12
    Tonya Crowe leaves the cast. Michelle Phillips and Larry Riley are added to the cast.
    IMG_20181214_0003_0001.jpg
    Season 13

Patrick Petersen leaves the cast. Stacy Galina and Kathleen Noone are added to the cast.

Season 14
    Joan van Ark and Larry Riley leave the cast.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    S.6 gets my vote because William Devane was added and most favorites were still on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    Medals:
    I agree. William Devane and Lisa Hartman more than make up for the loss of the earlier actors with the greatest losses still to come.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,182
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Wasn't Devane on Season 5 too?

5. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    Yes he was introduced in season five but apparently not added to the opening credits until in season six...

After some consideration I voted for the season 6-7 cast. I mean it had Alec Baldwin, Lisa Hartman and Julie Harris. :)

Sure I love early Knots Landing, especially the cast they had in season two after Abby was added. I love the character of Richard. He reminds me a bit of Dallas Cliff Barnes...
    Maybe it's the fact that they are both lawyers. I love the character of Sid too. I was so sad when he died. Karen and Sid was a great couple. But so was Karen & Mack. I also love the character of Ben who was a good guy before they gave him a shady past in season 8. So in the end the additions of Mack, Ben, Greg, Lilimae and also Joshua and Cathy tipped my vote in the favor of this seasons rather than season 2.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    Medals:
    Devane showed up four episodes into season five. There was a new, Devane-less version of the opening titles that aired in the first three episodes, and then when he showed up onscreen, they tweaked that opening to insert him into it.

This is a difficult judgment for me to make, since there are a lot of interpretations of "best". Plots became so compartmentalized in the later years that they rarely interacted as a whole cast. Remember how people reacted when the season 13 writers placed Paige and Gary into a major plotline (Tidal Energy), and later when new writers placed Greg and Val into a plotline (Greg's biography)? These people had been on the show for years and years, yet had rarely if ever interacted, so it felt weird!

Maybe that's why I keep coming back to the season four cast, since it was the last, best time we saw everyone interacting on a regular basis, working through an umbrella story that involved virtually everyone. I'm not sure if this is the "best" we're looking for, but it was a great time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    Thank you for clarifying this. :gotcha:
    I thought that he was in the season five opening credits originally but then when I was typing up the first post I was checking the opening credits online to make sure and he was not in the season five one so I just figured I remembered it wrong.

I have edited my first post to say that he was added to the cast in season five instead.

Also you are right everyone has their own interpretation of what is the best. It's all subjective. Season four is not a bad choice since Mack and Lilimae has been added by then and Richard, Ginger and Kenny are still on the show at that point. Also the storylines does involve all the characters more early on in the show than in the later seasons. It was still very middle class even if Gary had come into some money. Later on the show became more middle class/upper class when Greg inherited money too and the characters that were on the cul-de-sac were interacting more with each other than the ones who didn't live there. Even though they did find some common ground to keep Abby, Gary, Karen and Laura all at Lotus point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +712
    I think Greg and Val only ever interacted on screen regarding the biography before Val was captured by those gangsters.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    Well I am sure they met at some social functions prior to that. For instance Greg did show up with Meg at the twins third birthday party and Val was also out at the Sumner ranch after Laura had died. But it's true that they didn't have many one-on-one scenes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    Medals:
    I remember one scene where Greg raised the question of the twins' paternity while Val was present but the two didn't acknowledge each other directly. And another when Ben was working for Greg and Greg came into Ben's office when Val was in there alone. There was only some formal exchange of greeting then.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    That's true they did get to interact a bit when Ben was working for Greg. Also I vividly remember the scene about the twin's paternity. It was at Lotus Point where Greg had been trying to black mail Abby and she challenged him to tell Gary to get rid of his claim on her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Medals:
    #03 and #04.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Medals:
    Deveane and Abbey are the two most important characters to me, so I could only consider seasons with them both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Medals:
    Greg and Valene had some brief encounters in season eight because of Ben working for Sumner and the Jean Hackney plot. They met when she was visiting Ben at work. Greg and Valene had a scene together in A Plan of Action when Val is alone in Ben’s office and Sumner comes in. After exchanging pleasantries and each of them wondering where Ben is, Sumner tells Val that he is changing his schedule and to let Ben know that he has to talk to him. When Sumner came to the cul-de-sac in Survival of the Fittest, Valene was observing his conversation with Ben from the window. In In Mourning, Valene was there when Sumner was thought to be dead and he returned and stared straight at Val before she had the freeze frame. And Val, Sumner and Laura have a scene at Sumner’s Ranch at the beginning of Deadly Combination in Season 8, when Greg assures Val that Jean Hackney has gone. Val hugs Sumner in Noises Everywhere part 1 and he thanks her for it and she replies, “Alright”. But from Greg’s second episode, they were appearing at the same social functions. At the first one (Greg’s senate campaign party thingy), Gary was with Abby, Ben was with Valene but Gary and Valene were staring at each other and Gary got Valene pregnant the next week as soon as their divorce became final. Val applauded Greg’s speech.

Karin Schill was right about Greg bringing Meg to the twins’ birthday party in Say Uncle. Val says she is pleased to see them both and they are just in time to sing. Greg tells Val that he doesn’t know whether she would want to hear him sing but maybe Meg will do it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Medals:
    Season 10 because of Thrillin' Jill!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Medals:
    You would have liked them to spend more time together?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B0r2iFXnfbk/

Joan Van Ark and William Devane did appear together in Red Flag: The Ultimate Game
    608586CF-0FAB-420B-889E-75A7D38449BB.png
    4B7E84E4-285A-4983-B1A2-26B762828E1D.png

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    Medals:
    I did see that on TV some time ago but I don't remember much about it.

18. Billy Nolan

Billy Nolan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Season 6. Alec Baldwin, Julie Harris and Joan Van Ark had a strong acting bonding. A high level quality in my eyes... Plus: Howard Duff and Ava Gardner next to William Devane mad let 6th Season shine.

• Agree Agree x 1