Where Should Dynasty Have Filmed On Location?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jul 17, 2019.

?

Where should DYNASTY have filmed on location?

1. Denver

47.1%
  2. Filoli

52.9%
  3. Paris

29.4%
  4. London

35.3%
  5. Berlin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hong Kong

17.6%
  7. Antibes

17.6%
  8. Vienna

5.9%
  9. Glacier National Park (doubling as the Carrington Estate)

5.9%
  10. Sequoia Nat'l Park (doubling as the Carrington Estate)

11.8%
  11. all of the above

11.8%
  12. other

11.8%
  13. Rome

17.6%
  14. Acapulco

5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Any recommendations?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Right in Denver, where it was set! That Carousel Ball episode of '83 wasn't near enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +983
    They should have filmed at and around Filoli once or twice each season; the area around Filoli served as the Denver countryside for several scenes in the pilot and it was very effective. Other than the titles did we see anything of Denver on the series? I know that Camden Towers (Alexis' penthouse), La Mirage, The Carlton, Steven's second apartment and most of the office buildings were Los Angeles locations. Other than Denver City Hall did they even bother to use any Denver locations for establishing shots? For all of the talk of Aaron Spelling "sparing no expense" it's really cheap that he didn't send a secondary crew to Denver to film a few establishing shots.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Since Dynasty was supposed to be jet set, definitely on location in the glamorous cities of New York, London, Rome, Hong Kong, Acapulco and Rio.

Because the studio sets were dismantled, I think the Reunion despite its faults actually did a better job of the illusion of on location filming, for example when Sammy Jo and Alexis are in Switzerland or Steven and Alexis are in New York.

And of course they should have filmed at the Hotel du Cap in Antibes, whenever Alexis was bored of hotels and after each divorce.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    I thought that at the time, too. Just as Season 2 did a better job as well.

What was it??

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    Definitely around Denver to give it more of a sense of unique location. I've said it before but Dynasty basically could've been set anywhere as it never felt local to any city or state. Compared to Dallas which did it's stints of location shooting and were the better for it as Southfork looked like the vast dusty ranch in Texas that it was supposed to be whereas the Carrington Estate and Delta Rho could have been anywhere.

Also, when the show started raking in the cash, they should've splashed out on at least one real overseas location shoot per season to ramp up the show's jet set cachet.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,487
    Medals:
    I have no idea what Denver looks like (and Dynasty certainly didn't help), so as long as it doesn't look too Miami or LA I'm fine with any American town scenery.
    But I would have liked to see more mountains and huge pine trees.
    The mansion is everything, and I don't approve of that all and sundry's slut-mansion that replaced it.
    Hong Kong is a no-brainer because the rival show did it too.
    My "other" would be Moldavia or another Eastern Bloc country, and a real castle of course.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    I want something to double as Blake's alpine estate in the foothills of the eastern slopes of the Colorado Rockies 10 or 15 miles to the WNW of Denver -- something those fir tree lined lawns in the Hollywood Hills, though acceptable in a pinch, can't equal.

We saw the outer realms of Southfork. Would Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado suffice for whatever the Carrington estate was called? I like the idea of their taking members of the cast on occasion to Glacier Nat'l Park in northern Montana on the border of Canada -- it's like Colorado on steroids.

Can you imagine if the estate on DYNASTY was as vivid a character in its way as Southfork was to DALLAS?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    This profile is the only time I've ever seen the estate being given a name - 173 Essex Drive.

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1980s/dynasty/

However, I don't remember it ever being used on the show. I just recall it being generically referred to as the "Carrington Estate" or the "Carrington Mansion".

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Although I seem to recall it was Wessex Drive. Wasn't it?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +983
    Yes, the address is 173 Wessex Drive and it's revealed when Steven receives a letter from Ted.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Even DALLAS shot overseas two or three times when it was totally unnecessary. But then Aaron Spelling wouldn't even pay to rent helicopters for the massacre aftermath episode because "the show is already a hit."

Although that didn't keep him from sending the dumb ol' LOVE BOAT on actual cruises a couple of times a year.

Esther didn't nudge him enough, I think.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    When it comes to location, DYNASTY was a mess from the get-go. DALLAS was set in Dallas because in fact that is how David Jacobs conceptualized the story, the setting was organic to it, and so filming the mini-series there just clinched it. No wonder they then always returned to it (I like how Grey's Anatomy also does that with Seattle).

But Esther Shapiro picked Denver out of a hat, looking for any non-Texas location that had oil. Say what you want about the South (I have lived there and said it all), but it has its own distinct flavour, colour, accent, what have you. Denver is rather generic, and the least impressive part of Colorado. To top that, they picked a mansion in Northern California, not Colorado. So DYNASTY would have to have tried extra hard to establish a sense of location. I think they an amazing job in season one, and a great job in season two, but then the show started becoming claustrophobic. As you have said, they could even have had stock exterior footage, but at some point they even stopped that. And some of that footage they did use was laughable (look at London in "That Holiday Spirit").

I think they should have used in the Filoli or Arden Villa grounds more, and they should have had more footage of small Colorado villages and slopes rather than Denver. Other than that mall, there is not much to shoot in Denver that makes it stand out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Medals:
    I would have loved a scene of a bathing-suit-clad Amanda lounging by the pool at Arden Villa. For some reason, I always imaging Joseph walking out to tell her she either has a phone call or an important visitor.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,678
    Medals:
    TV Guide synopsis of the episode.
    DYNASTY Weds 10.00
    Joseph visits Amanda from beyond the grave to tell her of an important visitor.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Yes, just stock footage, aerial shots from the Rocky Mountains every studio had in their vaults, to be sandwiched in between scenes. That's really all it takes to trick the viewer into thinking you might actually be there, even if the budget prevents location shooting, And yet they just never did it.

I've quoted my mother before who once said, regarding movies and TV: "If they can't get the feel of the geographic location right, they usually can't get anything else right either" and those words never applied more than to DYNASTY (which Mom never watched).

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    But, to combine @Alexis' post and @Snarky's Ghost's desire for a clairvoyant Krystle, maybe it is that Krystle starts seeing the ghosts of those who have died because of the family--Joseph, Lindsay, Rasheed, Mark, etc. She has conversations with them and insists that the family follow their ethical commands, before of course it turns out this is part of her head trauma-induced hallucinations.

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    And slap the pizza from her hand...

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Only if played completely straight --- which Aaron Spelling would never allow. He'd have desks bouncing up and down, with little ectoplasmic giggles from ghost babies whispering "We love you, Krystle - heeheeheehee!" while Krystle and the cast look on and chuckle, leaving John Forsythe to smile with embarrassment.

That is what would happen.

20. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    You are probably right, though they played the Rita storyline completely straight, which was the most laughable thing ever. But it was the case of the emperor's new clothes there.
    Grey's Anatomy did a visit from the dead arc some years ago completely straight. It took many episodes to reveal that the character was hallucinating from a rare type of skin cancer, and way until then it had left the viewers guessing. So, it can happen on TV--and ABC even. It just takes a show-runner with guts. Frankly, given her experience and resume, Esther Shapiro had the muscle to impose her will. She just didn't care--for any season past the first two.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 9)