When did Dallas end for you!?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Pammy P, May 13, 2017.

1. Pammy P

Pammy P Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +405
    Dallas for me ended in 1991 - when the original 13 year run was over .... I don't class TNT's version as "DALLAS" simply because the whole script was just well so badly written.

It was not consistent to carry on on from Original. So Dallas ended for me in 1991, but sort of in 1987 "Fall of the House of Ewing" was aired and VP left.

TNT's version was just so unreal.....Dallas was about Oil & Cattle not Drug Cartels!

Some Network, CBS or whatever pick up @KarinSchill storyline now that is interesting reading and would pull in the viewers IMO!

• Like Like x 10
  2. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    At the end of season 6 in my opinion. Before everybody started leaving & the storylines still revolved around the basics : the Ewing family, the Barnes/Ewing feud, the battle for Ewing Oil etc.:byee:

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Dallas ended for me at the end of the original series (season 14 DVD count). The Cidre stuff wasn't even Dallas, not even close. I know other people say it ended even earlier for them but I was a diehard fan and we watch in good times and bad, always hoping it will get better during the bad parts, unlike the fair weather fans who stop watching the minute things don't go the way they like. No other series ever captivated me the way Dallas did and I doubt any series ever will. It was classic!

• Like Like x 5
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,057
    Medals:
    Dallas ended for me at the end of original S12
    by then no more Ellie, limited Clayton, no Pam, Sue Ellen, Ray, Donna, Lucy (even Jenna)
    it was a show i no longer recognised and only watched out of loyalty to the great show it once was and my love for the characters both on and off screen, and because they gave me a great time on the set in 1983 and i have invested a lot of time and money into my Dallas passion.

Without BBG there was no heart or soul in the show and it was proof to me that Patrick and Larry didnt make Dallas - Barbara made it that little bit special for me and even after she was sick and ill, if she appeared in 1 or 2 scenes i was happy, she gave Dallas class and she could act her little socks off - something the Callys, Aprils and co couldnt come close to doing, BBG didnt need words to let you know how Miss Ellie was feeling or thinking

S13 stories were awful but they - LH/PD - were getting paid big bucks to turn up, spout drivel and they got to be buddies.

When i look back at Dallas it was the females of Dallas and their storylines i preferred most and of course Bobby and Pam and Miss Ellie. if Dallas had started with s13 cast it wouldnt be an iconic 80s show and i wouldnt be talking about it now.

I thought the movies were pretty poor and i cant reinforce how much i hated the TNT drivel that a clueless producer called Cidre dished up who had never watched the original show. I wish it had never been made and it tainted my love for 1 dallas cast memebr in particular who became annoying

I admire Victoria, she quit when ahead and before Dallas was a sinking ship, the final series she starred in was really the beginning of the end of MY dallas - it went downhill after that, with crap bland blondes who couldnt act for toffee and silly storyines - pamela Ewing was the key to so many Dallas stories and history - past and present

I went thro the motions of watching and taping the final series but I have never watched it again and the DVD is still in the wrapper, same goes for TNT 1+ 2 and i havent wasted my money on 3 - they are Dallas and part of the collection but when i want to watch Dallas (and thanks to TNT i havent done so much of that lately) i will stick on S2-6 and 8 original - that was the Dallas i loved.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,451
    Medals:
    Pam's departure heralded the beginning of the end, too many awful newbies arrived (the junior McKays, Granny Beaumont and her clan).

TNT Dallas was good insofar as the superb chemistry between Larry and Linda once again, but some of the storylines were ridiculous. And the way Cliff Barnes became seemingly maniacal was not very plausible.

Swami

• Like Like x 5
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Medals:
    Beautifully put @Barbara Fan.

Classic Dallas ended for me at season 7 (DVD) but that is mainly because Dallas was entering into a new era at that, it was drifting away from the Bobby vs JR into a JR vs Pam scenario which was what we could've had two seasons later.

However the whole show ended when Victoria Principle left, and it should've ended in 1987.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    In hindsight I think the best years of Dallas ended ironically at "End Game." But the show really ended for me after watching "Return to Camelot." Somehow the producers/writers thought I would go along with their idea of wiping the previous season from memory and forgive them their trespass on my intellect. It was desperation at its worst to return a dead character. Not even having Bobby return to Pam could save it. After this I would skip episodes without too much concern.

Great thread :)

• Like Like x 5
  8. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I've watched it all once but that was 16 years ago now.

Now I only watch until Victoria departs as I just don't like Bobby or most of the storylines after Pams fiery crash. That's the only DVD sets I own. I did almost buy the complete series set a few years ago for £40 on amazon to get the single sided discs but amazon sent me an email saying it wasn't in stock after I'd purchased it.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,559
    VP leaving was adios Dallas for me though most of what they did after the dream didn't really do a lot for me. After the dream, pretty much the all the favourite women, except miss Ellie, had very little to do.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    When Barbara Bel reprises her role as Miss Ellie I've never understood why the writers then decided to diminish the character. You are right in saying Miss Ellie was the heart and soul. But she also had strength to keep JR in check since no one else was able to accomplish it. When Season 5 returns (original U.S. air date October, 1981) we knew Jim Davis had passed away (April, 1981). On screen Jock was still alive. First he had a stop-over in Washington then traveled to South America. That was a clever move by the writers. On another recent viewing of Lorimar Dallas I noticed when Miss Ellie returns to Southfork without Jock her character was amped up a notch. It appeared to me this was a deliberate move by the writers to compensate for Jim's passing. Suddenly Miss Ellie had stepped aside from Jock's shadow. I really liked this strong and forceful Miss Ellie.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,285
    Medals:
    I stubbornly cling on to all it's incarnations to the present but in retrospect, after Sue Ellen walked out of that projection room it was hard to keep up the enthusiasm for what came next.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    When Linda Gray left, it was the final nail in the coffin! Sure I kept watching, but ugh!!!!:a2:

• Like Like x 6
  13. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +133
    The end of season 12 when Linda Gray left! Miss Ellie left right before the end of season 12 as well with Clayton! It just went on too long!

Cidre's Dallas is not 100% true! Cliff was nothing the way they made him out to be and they avoided the reunion specials and also made everything about drugs and the Cartel!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    Dallas will never really 'end' for me, but to answer your question specifically, when Linda Gray left. My wee heart was broken and Dallas was never the same. Without that terrific one off chemistry that Linda and Larry had, JR changed completely too. His character became a total shadow of his former self.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  15. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +812
    I'm in the "When Linda left" camp - without her J.R failed, the 2 needed each other on the show. But will always watch a next chapter whether I like it or not.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,274
    Medals:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::hat:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Absolutely!! It's was almost painful to watch JR in those later seasons... He had become such a grotesque caricature!!:brick:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,752
    Medals:
    Honestly Dallas has never really ended for me either! :)
    But it exists in two different universes in a sense and in both the original show is canon but the story didn't end there.

In one universe the Dallas reunion movies and the Dallas TNT version carried on. I accept that it happened and it's a part of the official Dallas story.

But in an alternative universe the story picks up in 1995 instead and we get to follow the Ewing in the 1990s. I choose to believe this is what really happened to the characters after the show went off the air. It's just a fanfic, but to me it's as real as what I saw on the screen if that makes any sense and the story still goes on in my mind.

Thanks for the compliment Pammy. But no I don't want them to take my storyline and reboot Dallas!
    Because Dallas without the original cast will never be Dallas IMHO and my story is set in the 1990s so the only way it could be a part of the "official" canon for Dallas is if there would be an official book series! ;)

Anyway I am not sure if it's just about the storyline. I think it has to do with that we get to follow the characters we love, the story is slow paced and character driven rather than plot driven and it stays true to the original Dallas.

Then as for what we saw on the screen. I think if Julia had been Pam, "JR Returns" could have been a perfect ending to the show. :)
    I think Dallas TNT was a horrible way to end the show and a slap in the face to all the loyal fans who have invested so many years in watching Dallas.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,031
    I watched the show right to the end on it's original UK airing on BBC1, Wednesday's at 8.10pm or 8pm with it's later seasons.

The final series was actually shown on Sunday's at 3pm I think, as the previous season dropped badly in the ratings when shown on Wednesday's at 8pm.

I've got all the boxsets of the series, but I'm not really a fan of the final series, as it's painful to see that they're winding the show down in preparation for taking it off the air.

Whenever I rewatch Dallas on my boxsets, I tend to stop with season ten when Pamela Ewing driving Bobby's Mercedes SL crashes into the Oil Tanker. :(

I will admit to liking season thirteen as I enjoyed the stories that year, the Tanker collision & the investigation into it. Cliff looking for Afton & his daughter. The Miss Ellie & Clayton treasure hunt story & the Murder, She Wrote storyline. The Jeanne O'Brien Pam look alike story.

I prefer watching the first ten boxsets over the later seasons. The show has never really ended totally for me, as I'm always thinking about it or re-watching it. :)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,205
    Medals:
    Count me in the "when Linda left camp" as well.
    Of course i still watched the rest, but more out of loyalty than interest. And because there was nothing else interesting to do Tuesday nights at a quarter to 10 - no internet back then. :D

• Like Like x 2