What's your favorite episode of the series?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Taylor Bennett Jr., May 14, 2019.

1. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    As a self-proclaimed advocate of the early Jock years, I'm going to go with Barbecue.

It pretty much had everything - the Barnes-Ewing feud, JR and Bobby's rivalry for the approval of Jock via his first grandson, Digger's surprisingly charming rendition of the Yellow Rose of Texas, the forgotten Cousin Jimmy and his non-terrific shirt securing a hayloft session with Lucy by acting like a hayseed per Pam's coaching, Ray dancing expertly with a drink in one hand and a pretty woman on the other, Sue Ellen giddily drunk-riding a horse not long after bemoaning her lousy sex life at length to a table of shocked old ladies, deftly alternating between glasses of red and white wine.. everything!

The barbecue scenes on site at the largely forgotten first Southfork, the Cloyce Box Ranch, were shot with a sweeping realism - giving you a feeling of being in the center of the action, a far cry from the chintzy LA soundstage of later years.

Yep, Barbecue's my favorite (with the near-transcendent Fallen Idol a close second, of course).

What's yours?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I don't remember the names of too many if the episodes but one of my favorite Dallas episodes was the one whee we find out that the reason JR got a variance was to...open JR Ewing Gas Stations!

They'd done a good job of making us wonder why JR wanted to pump so much extra oil during a glut. They built up to it well and when we found out that he'd opened up a chain of JR Ewing Gas Stations it was just brilliant.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Medals:
    Spoiled for choice in many ways, The Dove Hunt, Jock's Trial, Paternity Suit, pretty much everything where the original cast were all on board.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    Medals:
    Swan Song will always be my favourite episode. Also really like The Letter, Paternity Suit and Starting Over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +203
    The episode when Bobby told Jock and Miss Ellie JR mortgaged Southfork.

JR: “It’s going to be close.”
    Jock: pauses; “What do you mean CLOSE?”

Miss Ellie to Jock: “I didn’t marry you to lose Southfork in an oil deal.”

Bobby to Pam while JR storms off: “It won’t be your brother that destroys Ewing Oil, it’s going to be mine.”

• Like Like x 3
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,168
    Medals:
    There are so many from, especially, the 1979 thru 1984 period.

I don't know that it's my favorite, necessarily, but I always like "Love & Marriage" from S3 (per DVD count). Not because of the story so much -- it's mostly just Pam and Bobby bickering over their work hours -- but the episode has a Bruce Broughton score and direction by Alexander Singer and a hushed atmosphere which seems to exemplify DALLAS' hypnotic moodiness at its early best.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,498
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    "A House Divided" for 1,000 reasons. Can´t remember any of them now. Sorry. :p;)

upload_2019-5-14_19-15-3.jpeg [​IMG]
    :spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    easy and by a long shot and the episode that turned me from Dallas fan to addict

Mastectomy part 1+2 although shown as full length in UK in Jan 80

Then
    Home again, Julies return
    The Reckoning
    Eye of the beholder, The Search
    Bypass

• Like Like x 1
  9. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +464
    I really love the last three episodes of season 6. After the build-up of Jock's death and the battle for the company, Things Ain't Going Too Good at Southfork is when it really kicks off and it's a wild ride.:p

• Like Like x 2
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,498
    Swan Song always was always, always will be the pinnacle of Dallas for me. I loved that episode so much and it never fails to move me. So that is easily my choice.

Runners up are Resurrection, Oil Barons Ball from Nov 84 and also from Nov 85, Dead Ends and The Letter :) I enjoyed Blast from the Past too but not the follow up ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    There are so many to choose, but one that comes to mind now is when Sue Ellen found JR with Holly. LG did get best acting and there was the feeling of doom coming. Things still had consequences and they mattered on Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,770
    Medals:
    I think I agree.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    Medals:
    Off-hand, I'd say it's a tie between 'Ellie Saves the Day' from 1979 and 'Hurt' from 2014.

14. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +901
    Medals:
    James from London never says anything "Off-hand". He puts a lot of thought into every post he makes.

You inspired me to watch that episode again. If you have time, just watch the last 10 minutes for some of the best Jock lines he ever spoke:

Bobby starts walking toward J.R, with violence on his mind. Jock calls out, "He's your brother, Bobby!"

Notice that Jock does not physically stop Bobby. He doesn't even try to talk him out of attacking J.R. He allows Bobby to do as he wishes, but lays the line out there of, "He's your brother, Bobby" to remind him not to do anything rash that he will regret later.

And this is followed by the scene of J.R. truly showing regret and remorse for one of the very few times in the series. Very nice acting by Larry Hagman.

Then Jock comes in to Pam's room and allows his guard to come down for one of the few times in the series:

"I don't blame you for wanting to leave. I shouldn't have done what I did to Digger. He can't help being what he is any more than we can help being what we are."

"Pamala, us Ewings are not the easiest family to live with as you found out. I guess we've had everything our way for so long that maybe it got in the way of us being just people. I guess you have no reason to really care, but I want to keep my family together. I don't want to lose another son."

And the best part of all in this episode: The shot of Pamala sprawled out after falling from the hayloft would have been a great cliff hanger. But they still had a story to tell, and they continued to tell the story, even though it meant giving up the cliffhanger.

Very nice and self-less writing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Barbecue is my fav too. Dallas at it's best.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    I will agree with "Barbecue." It is the best of the mini-series, and the mini-series has captivating elements that don't make it to the regular series, one prominent being the harshness of the Texas landscape (probably also because of the filming's timing) although ironically that harshness is portrayed in other mini-series episodes more. Still, that harshness shows that Pam walks not only into a completely hostile family situation--the grinding physical environment feels like it's adding to the adversity. And of course "Barbecue" is coloured by a Tennesse Williams-like quality in how the characters interact, especially J.R. and Sue Ellen, and the overall suffocating tone of the too-close-for-comfort familiar relationships as well as the way the past intrudes into the present.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
  18. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,498
    Medals:
    I have just posted this video in another thread but since it deals with favorite subjects, I though it would be good idea to put it here too. It´s a Top Ten list of "Dallas" episodes (no cliffhangers or premieres included). Enjoy it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,591
    Medals:
    I think it's hard to just single out and pick one single episodes since the quality of the show is so consistently good. But if I had to pick one it would be "Digger's Daughter" since it set up the show in such a good way that it made us interested in following these characters for years to come. :)

It is also the one episode I have re-watched the most.

Just watched your video @Toni and realized that we'd pick the same number one! ;)
    Some great choices in that one. But I think "Swan Song" should probably have made the top ten. Of course it was just a dream but still that episode had a lot going for it as well...

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,498
    Medals:
    @Karin Schill, this video only comprises the episodes that were NOT cliffhanger / season finales or season premieres. But if I had to do a Top 10 Dallas episodes ever, "Swan Song" would reach Nº 2, and "Digger´s Daughter" would be 3 instead, with "A House Divided" as the best episode (ever).