What Would Have Been A Good Storyline For Lucy?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I hear that they didn’t have a good storyline a lot for Lucy a lot. What could they have done with her? IMO, her character just didn’t fit in. Sure, she was good at one upping JR during family time, but her character really didn’t mesh with Dallas.

What’s the real reason why she didn’t move on to Knots Landing?

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,602
    Yeah, the show had a hard time integrating Lucy's latest romance plot into the show's narrative (with Mickey the lone exception).

Apparently, Gary and Valene lacked the sufficient guest room and told Lucy not to come.

I always thought that once Lucy returned and started running a trendy club for young people, she could purchase The Oil Baron's Club and she and Afton could manage it together, keeping Lucy right in the middle of Dallas gossip.... But then I also wanted Bobby to romance and marry Afton after Cliff sets his sights on Michelle, infuriating Mr Barnes with the Ewings yet again. So what do I know?

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +912
    They should have sustained the storyline from Season 1's Runaway for a few years, with Lucy eventually falling madly in love with the dastardly Willie Gust as they rampage around the globe in their shaggy green van as the most notorious, most glamorous crime duo in history, far surpassing anything Bonnie and Clyde could have imagined. They could have burst back into Southfork just as Jock was about to reveal he was Takapa, catapulting that storyline to an even more explosive climax.

(ok, maybe not!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +719
    How can you possibly remember his last name? You must like that episode a lot ;)

How about if you take that idea but then add a twist to the plot where in a love triangle Muriel steals Willie from Lucy?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Dallas - in its early seasons - was a go-getter for touching on taboo subjects and dealing with them in a sensitive way. I would have preferred if the Dallas writers didn't kill off Mickey but instead he survives the horrific accident but remains a paraplegic. The Ewing family of course are so guilt ridden they offer Lucy and Mickey residence on Southfork and Mickey is offered the job of managing Southfork. As Mickey goes about his daily life attending cattle auctions etc, his disability is used to illustrate the difficulties he faces, difficulties able bodied people take for granted. IVF (In Vitro Fertilisation) was still in its infancy and was another story which could have been used for Lucy and Mickey.

And as a side story it would have been great if JR formed a close bond with Mickey, not just because JR was partially responsible for Mickey's condition but JR admires the strength in how Mickey has got on with life and becomes protective of him, despite the side glances from Ray and Donna. Actually it would have been fun to watch how the other characters notice the change in demeanor in JR whenever Mickey is present. Not everything had to be heightened drama involving every character on Dallas. Lucy and Mickey could have been used to great effect to tell an honest and heartfelt story of a young couple constantly fighting an uphill battle.

Just some thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +912
    that episode verges on 'so bad it's good' territory, but mainly it helps feed my 'ABC of Dallas' addiction!

Any type of romance story featuring Muriel would have been tremendous.. why should she have to always live vicariously through Lucy and her various men?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,187
    Since the focus was on the oil men and their wives (and "good friends") maybe she could have married someone who worked for Ewing Oil (or someone recently discovered by Jock).
    "A real asset to the team!", as it were.
    But even if he was a better oil man than JR, he would never ever make it to the top.
    Imagine the frustration of this greedy corporate climber, and Lucy's incapacity to understand - what's the problem, we're all Ewings, we got money. If you think you can turn me into a Sue Ellen then think again. I have the right to enjoy myself. What would happen to your precious career if I decided to divorce you, huh? Huh? What were you and Pam talking about last night? I can see how you look at her...you better stay away from her she's trash. A Ewing wannabe, just like you are.

Sort of a reversed JR & Sue Ellen situation.

• Like Like x 2
  8. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I can’t think of a storyline for Lucy on Old Dallas, but I always imagined her having a daughter on New Dallas, with which she would’ve had a difficult relationship. Difficult, because Lucy would have turned into a bitter woman, hurt by many men and by life itself. Always having had attention by lots of men, she realizes that that time in her life is over. It’s her daughter’s turn now and Lucy has difficulties to accept that. She’s always been used to get attention: from her grandparents, from men... But Jock and Ellie have died and men are looking more and more to women who have her daughter’s age. Lucy would dress like her daughter and go to the same dancings (maybe even flirting with her daughter’s boyfriends) and that would cause a lot of tension between the two women.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I think Lucy should have had a friendship with Cliff or maybe something beyond that. My idea is that one day when Pam is still around, Lucy drops by Barnes-Wentworth to see her and founds out that Jackie is taking a leave of absence to take care of a sick relative. Almost as a joke, Lucy volunteers to be Cliff's secretary (or during Charlene's second stint as Lucy, she somehow hears about the job and applies after JR pisses her off once too often). Lucy and Cliff are wary of each other at first, but Cliff hires Lucy to spite JR and figures he can get inside info about Ewing Oil from her. One thing leads to another, and they become friendly due to their love of Pam, their hatred of JR, and the fact that they had alcoholic fathers and didn't have a mother growing up. Depending on fans' reaction and the quality of the writing, they will become friends after much sparring. Lucy would agree with Cliff about JR, but she wouldn't stand for any talk against her beloved granddaddy Jock. They could also play mind games with JR, pretending to be having an affair, when they are not, but maybe they can eventually have a one-night stand, but decide they are better off as friends.

• Creative Creative x 2
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    I loved her with Mickey and really wished he had stayed on the show somehow and they got married and had kids.

Failing all else Mickey goes out with me and Lucy realises that Muriel is the one for her ;-)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    It would have been cool to see Lucy continue her wild-child personality but under more adult circumstances. The writers could have taken her down the path to become a Tracy Quartermaine type-character (General Hospital, for those who don't know). She could have pursued a position at Ewing Oil, which would have had its own difficulties, since she was a woman:re: Lucy was already kind of a feminist in her attitude, certainly when J.R. or the family disapproved of whoever she wanted to date and it would have been nice to see her take that attitude to the boardroom. She definitely would have causes some issues for J.R., since she had the kind of personality to be under-handed when she wanted to be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Lucy working at Ewing Oil? What could she have done and what would be J.R’s incentive to hire her? She was as dumb as a box of rocks.

A good storyline would have been for Lucy to disown the family, move to Timbuktu, and never be heard from again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. B.J. Ewing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Well, Bobby - in his Playboy days - hired women to soften Ewing business relatives. Maybe J.R. would use his own niece for that kind of business. Would give a whole other meaning to the word(s) 'working for Ewing Oil'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    No way would Jock or Ellie allow that. Lol

15. B.J. Ewing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +193
    THEY wouldn't know it, of course. ;-)

16. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    And you don’t think Lucy will eventually tell someone? And by someone, I mean Bobby or Pam.

17. B.J. Ewing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yes, to Pam. And then Pam would want to make some bucks too and she and Lucy would work together. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Lucy never showed any sign of having any aptitude or inclination for the oil business. Considering her personality and how she liked making family members angry at her for doing exactly the opposite of what they wanted her to do, I think she would have become a stripper. If Dallas were starting to be made today when the standards for TV content are so much more lenient than what they'd allow to be shown in 1978, I think they'd done that with her character. Lucy had parents who weren't around when she was growing up, she hated school, loved money and attention, she was promiscuous and rebellious. These are all characteristics that would make her becoming a stripper very believable.

It could even tie in with the oil business to an extent since despite people thinking most business deals are made on the golf course, more deals are made at strip clubs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +912
    I'm not sure Lucy would have gone for that, but it could have been a bold, forward-thinking move to instead have her come in and rent out some of her loser exes to ravenous Marilee Stone and Sally Bullock types

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  20. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,028
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    They wouldn´t have allowed Lucy to sleep with Ray either (but they did it anyway...and Miss Ellie and Jock probably looked away as they did with JR´s "gallivanting", Sue Ellen´s booze and Lucy´s kidnapping...What a pair of b******). Besides, JR did pimp Lucy into marrying Kit for his own interest...if that isn´t using his own niece for business, I don´t know what that is...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1