What Is The Most Distasteful Soap You've Seen?

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Kenny Coyote, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    If not the most distasteful soap then what is the the most distasteful major aspect of a soap that comes to mind?

In One Tree Hill there was a character named Dan Scott who rescued his son from being kidnapped and what was his son's reaction? Gratitude, right? No. He punched him in the face! Then Dan Scott saved the lives of that same grandson and the wife of his son. His son's reaction? He refused to even associate with his dad. What the hell? That's just sickening.

This is a show that had what I can only surmise was a mentally disturbed show runner (Mark Schwahn, who was recently fired from his job at the network because of, multiple allegations of sexually harassing young women on the set of One Tree Hill). I knew he wasn't mentally all there when he showed what may well have been the most distasteful scene ever televised in a drama: There was a dying man who needed a heart transplant or he would soon die. We see the man sitting in the waiting room of a hospital while the heart which he will receive for the transplant is on its way. Inexplicably there is a dog in the waiting room. The paramedic who is delivering the heart trips while running through the waiting room and the heart falls out of the metal box it was in and onto the floor. The dog promptly runs over and gobbles it up. I'm not f***ing kidding. I could not make this up. Exactly who could that scene possibly have been designed to appeal to?

Dan Scott's son, Nathan, must be pictured in the dictionary next to the definition of ungrateful. Oh, Dan Scott also saved Nathan's career as an NBA basketball player. Right after that Dan Scott went to visit his son. Nathan opened the door and when he saw his dad, he slammed the door in his face.

Nathan, along with being the most ungrateful bastard I've ever seen in a TV show, soap or not, was not too bright. There was one time when he borrowed $10,000 from a loan shark with no plan as to how to pay it back. He never does pay it back so the loan shark tries to kill Nathan's wife by running into her with his car. Nathan runs down to the car after it crashes and pulls the loan shark out of the car. He commences beating the man. At some point Dan Scott arrives and notices the man is now dead. Nathan has beaten him to death. So, Dan says to his son, Nathan: Get out of here. You've got a wife and a young son to take care of. Dan punches the asphalt to bloody his hands just before the police show up. He confesses to beating the man to death and goes to prison to save his son from having to do that.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,872
    Medals:
    Well, they're both flawed characters subjectively responding to their situations.

If find it very interesting you've omitted the minor detail that Dan Scott
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

Dan and Nathan are two of the more interesting and complex characters I've seen on TV. I found their journeys lots of things. Fascinating. Compelling. Flawed.

Distasteful isn't something that comes to mind for this viewer.

For me, the ugliest and most brutal thing about that scene was Lucas's smugly satisfied facial expression. And if I'm feeling something about the way in which the characters are acting then the drama is doing what it's there to do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    On Sunset Beach, they had what looked to be a typical love triangle where a "nice" girl (I think her name was Vanessa? It's been a long time) was in love with some guy and they looked to be on their way to blissful happiness. A woman named Virginia (who may or may not have been related to Vanessa...?) decided she wanted the man for herself. She tried to make the guy think she was having an affair with another guy (a doctor, I think) but when the lies weren't gaining traction, Virginia took much (much) more drastic action. She somehow got hold of a sperm sample/donation the second guy had made to the hospital. She then loaded it up in a turkey baster, and while Vanessa was asleep (passed out/drugged, probably) Virginia...um, impregnated Vanessa with the second guy's sperm sample. Yes, a woman raped another woman and got her pregnant...all to break up her relationship and make her look like she cheated with the second guy. They had the actress walking around wielding the "loaded" turkey baster for days (which, thankfully was painted silver rather than the typical clear plastic) before she did the deed, so it wasn't like some off-camera plot we heard about after the fact. The "turkey baster rape" plot justifiably drew lots of bad press and more than a few "ewwwwwws", but I believe the show did this on purpose to draw attention the themselves, regardless of the poor taste/judgment in the plot.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    It is an interesting show. I 'm glad you like watching it; I do too.

Nathan has such a vindictive attitude though. There's a scene where his son Jamie says "I think you're good enough to forgive Grandpa Dan. You're Nathan Scott."

I understand exactly why they had Nathan act the way he did - to get to where they did and tell that story that culminates in season 9. The thing is, when you're watching it, you don't know that, and it's just so weird... for Nathan to punch his father in the face after he rescues Nathan's son from being kidnapped...and just over and over again...I thought is this kid blind? How can Nathan not see the value of the things Dan does for him...literally saving multiple lives - all family members too. Yes, he lost something of great value because of Dan...but weigh the good against the bad! When you weigh the good against the bad, Nathan would have lost far more had Dan not acted exactly as he did. It's not even a little bit close.

I can't understand what they were thinking to have a scene here a dog eats a man's heart......there is no call for that.

I think seasons 1-4 and season 9 were excellent. seasons 5 through 8, especially season 6 with the torture scenes...it as at times a bizarre show! I won't go into detail for those who don't know but I thought whoever runs this show has got to be at least a little mentally disturbed to think anyone is going to want to watch those and then the scene with the dog. Who would enjoy that? Mark Schwan, for him to do what he did to the actresses that played Peyton and Rachel, now I realize I was right about him - he really does have a problem.

And you left out that Deb also attempted that crime and that's what led to the other thing.

I'd have to practically tell the whole story of why he did that, that he thought Keith did what Deb did, what Keith and Deb did together before that, the resulting health emergency cause by the stress, Deb not calling 911 immediately, etc.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    It's something I would expect to see on NuDynasty!
    I've been thinking about watching OTH, but how am I going to ignore the bad haircuts of the lead male characters? (not kidding)

6. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Focus on the girls' good haircuts!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Anything on “Passions.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Medals:
    AKA "Diaries of a Closeted Catholic Man's Very Severe Issues About Just About Everything".

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    Seriously, Passions was a bad idea from day one. I recall the late, great Bill Bell (co-creator of Y&R and B&B) was being interviewed about his own shows around the time that Passions released a sneak-peek (a "trailer," as it were) prior to its premiere. The interviewer asked Bell if he had seen any of the show. Looking visibly uncomfortable, he replied that he had, and that it "would not be productive" for him to comment on it. Rarely does a person cast such shade in such a classy way.

There were so many taste-defying plotlines that a non-viewer such as myself could barely keep up with the critical articles. Of course the articles (negative or otherwise) was the point--they wanted to generate publicity even if it was bad publicity. Jim Reilly obviously followed the old maxim, "The only thing worse than being spoken of negatively, is not being spoken of at all."

I'm totally biased, of course, since NBC chose to cancel the beloved-but-ratings-challenged Another World to give Passions a time slot. But Passions, despite NBC's publicity machine and all the buzz (negative and otherwise) in the soap press, never achieved the ratings AW was getting, the same ratings that NBC decided were rotten enough to merit cancellation. And NBC gave Passions more chances to succeed in multiple platforms than any soap I've ever seen them carry.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    I liked Riley’s storyline about Marlena’s possession on DOOL, but it was Uber creepy how he’d always have the young male actors nearly naked all of the time. I’d surmise he’d prob have sex with them behind the scenes for them to keep their jobs.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    Y'never know in show business, of course, but Reilly was known for keeping distance from the sets and the actors. The idea was that he pictured the actors not as actors, but as his characters, and interacting with them socially made it harder for him to dream up stories for their characters. Irna Phillips (creator of numerous older soaps of the 1940s and 1950s) did the same thing, but to an extraordinary degree--addressing actors by their character's name, etc.--and I'm guessing Reilly was just as eccentric. Phillips wrote from her home in Chicago for her NY-based soaps to preserve that divide, and I'm fairly certain Reilly wrote from his home in New England somewhere, rarely if ever using the offices they set aside for him in the LA-based studios of Days and Passions. I think he became more remote/hermit-like as he gained notoriety, because there was none of this when he was a co-Head Writer on Guiding Light, where he actually wrote good "traditional" soap plots during a great period (early 1990s) for GL.

The over-emphasis on young, hot guys onscreen might very well have been an instance of "giving the viewers what they want," since the hunky young things often created the most buzz on a soap (even more than beautiful, young women). If anybody would be abusing "casting couch" privileges it would be the higher-rank producers, since they hire not only the actors but the writers. Everybody in the production ultimately answers to the Executive Producer, so if anyone was going to abuse their power, it would be the EP.

12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Medals:
    Do I sense the air of bitterness from someone here? :innocent:

13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    It's been a little over thirty years since Another World was cancelled, and I confess, I'm still a bit miffed. But then, I'm still salty about General Sherman burning down my hometown in his march to the sea in 1864, so maybe I just enjoy holding a grudge. :think:

14. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Another World took a nosedive when the core families from the beginning were phased out and the Cory’s became the prime focus. By the time the show was cancelled, it was a mercy killing......

15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Medals:
    We're so lucky to have a visit from someone in 2029.

16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    I don't think the show really took that nosedive until the mid-1990s (not the mid-1970s when the Corys took center stage), and yes, it was due to a loss of emphasis on core families. But more than anything, the show went south because they wanted to make it more of a companion to Days of Our Lives rather than sticking with the more traditional formula that the show was known for.

Point taken. :D But you can pretty much bet on my feeling just as bitter in 2029. I'm just laying groundwork.

17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Medals:
    One day I will convince you Knotsians to watch Melrose Place from 1.21 to 4.15 as it's all very Knots Landing. Hopefully it'll happen before 2029, but I'm a patient man.

18. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    When the show became a laughing stock was the Rachel/Justine story line. That and Rachel having twins. Yeah, right........

Frankie’s murder killed the show, too....

• Agree Agree x 1