What if they’d been a season 15

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Grangehill1, Aug 18, 2019.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Medals:
    Dallas going into 1992......

Nope it doesn’t feel right, for me Dallas should never have gone beyond Spring of 1987, the show seemed to have the sunset on it as early as 1984/85.

However for the purpose of the thread, I wouldn’t have much hope of a season 15 being any better than the previous three seasons, it would have been worse, Dallas looked woefully out of date by 1989, 1992 was the era of BH90210 and Melrose Place type soaps, so I would imagine the 1991-92 season to have even more younger characters, and since the Ewing’s were basically extinct by 1991 except for JR & Bobby, they would be simply glorified extras by this point, Cliff would have lost Ewing Oil back to JR within the first 15 mins of the first episode of the season who in turn would have lost it to some High school jock who is the son of some former enemy of JR, Bobby would go through romance after romance, JR would battle Cally for his son, and that’s it.

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,689
    Medals:
    The show felt outdated in the late-'80s because, as JfL one phrased it, DALLAS ceased to grow creatively during the last half of its run. Very little can work under those circumstances, when you're just repeating what you did before, artificially extending everything without real motivation.

3. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Bearing in mind the TV world is different now to 1991 so I’m having a bit of artistic licence here. I would have made season 15 an event television 6 episode series with self contained episodes, similar to the pilot series. Each episode would have wrapped up a story for a character

I would have got Sue Ellen and cally back. I would have finished the whole thing with a cameo appearance by Pam at the very end. She turns up at Southfork.
    ‘Hello Bobby. I hear you’ve been looking for
    Me.’

• Like Like x 1
  4. MarkDallasAddict

MarkDallasAddict Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    In respect of Pam, I would have Bobby search her out after April's death, at which point Mark turns up and says you have been looking for Pam but she is now married to me (she has beaten whatever illness she had), Mark says they have adopted twins, they live offshore, and she is happy so let her be, Bobby realises Pam is never coming home and that is the end of it.

It seems to me that they should have worked harder retaining BBG as Miss Ellie, and given her something useful to do instead of playing Jessica Fletcher in Pride etc. As I mentioned before I would have introduced Garrison's family and stirred things up for Miss Ellie for a start, then I would have had her fight West Star on some Daughters of the Alamo campaign against a West Star development which it transpires Clayton has an interest in and sets her against him. That would have kept her busy.

I would also have Bobby arrested on some trumped up charges, say set up by a released Jeremy Wendell who is paying a lady to say that Bobby attacked her or she saw Bobby shooting someone, that leaves JR running Ewing Oil alone at which point he either has a heart attack or is injured in some way, so they need to get someone in in to hold the fort for a while (a bit like they did with Donna years ago). Had they not killed off April (which was a terrible waste of good talent) they could have had her run Ewing Oil temporarily and lock horns with JR who then sends in someone to look after his own interests.

The show really did need some succession planning, they needed younger actors as Bobby and JR were getting on a bit and Christopher and John Ross were too young to do anything important. Lucy hadn't had a decent storyline in yonks, and showed little business acumen so they did need fresh talent.

I would also have Sue Ellen and Don in a car crash in London, Don dies, Sue Ellen is injured and JR realises how much he loves/misses her, she comes back nervous at first about trusting JR, but John Ross is delighted to be happy families, things go well until...... you can guess the rest. Sue Ellen is a wealthy woman in her own right, she decides not to go back into the lingerie business, but instead concentrates on becoming a director as she has learned so much from Don. She remains sceptical that JR is just after her movie, but when she goes to check on it he has already destroyed it. The main thing is Sue Ellen is no longer a victim, but a power in her own right.

At this point we start to see Ewing Oil diversify and embrace green technologies.

Cliff gets married, I would have introduced him to a lawyer who is a single mother with a son whom Cliff adores and adopts as his own.

I have already mentioned the return of Jeremy Wendell who is out for revenge against the Ewings and Carter McKay, so that would have kept things ticking a long nicely.

I could go on all night but the main thing would be succession planning, making better use of the actors still there, and putting Bobby through a long painful storyline involving a criminal trial that takes him to the depths of despair - thus giving Patrick something more interesting to do, and giving JR a bit more free reign at Ewing Oil for a bit.

5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    That's very good. At that point I'd like for Bobby to reply: "Mark, I'll tell you the same thing you told me. I'll do that as soon as Pam, and not you, tells me that's what she wants."

I agree. I liked April a lot. The reason they did that is Sheree J. Wilson was pregnant with her first child.

Good job!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,429
    Medals:
    I think that's a fault of a lot of shows but excusable when you think that, at one time, five years was considered a good run. The idea that they would need a second generation fifteen years down the track would not have occurred to them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    I remember reading an interview with a Dallas producer in the break after Sue Ellen shot JR in which it was said that episodes would become more self-contained as part of the changes. It was strongly implied, I think, that it was part of a winding down process with uncertainty about the series continuing.

When I watched Sue Ellen's final year on CBS with the producer's comments in mind, many of the episodes did have a more self-contained feel to me. I haven't watched them since perhaps the early Noughties, but I still remember that season as more episodic than the season that preceded it..

Most of the episodes that year (at least as I remember it) seemed to have a "punchline" kind of ending than a cliffhanger. Swellin' popping the balloon on JR's wedding night springs to mind. There's still a continuity, but it wasn't as tight as the middle years, and I'd imagine viewers who dipped in and out would find it very easy to pick up wherever they left off.

• Like Like x 1