What did you NOT like the most about the New Dallas?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Ms. Paige, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    My personal opinion is David Jacobs, despite not being involved with TNT Dallas, would be incensed at the treatment of characters he created. I know I would be. That said, David comes across as being very professional and I would hate for him to offer an opinion on someone elses disaster. That mess sits beautifully at the feet of that other showrunner. Let her and others proudly wear that crown.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    They supposedly did that so it would be a surprise about Pamela Rebecca but it fooled nobody. They didn't even have to rely on the movies all that much just don't act like they never happened. Much of what happened in TNT Dallas didn't make sense. Why was Bobby mad at Afton when they got along in the original series? Why was Cliff worse than JR ever was? Don't understand why Sue Ellen and Val hated each other so much. What happened with Clayton? Why was Lucy and Ray just hanging around? And if you're going to have offsprings of the maid make it Teresa and Raoul's kids. Not pretend like a whole other family was living there all along that we never met. I can go on and on.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Medals:
    IIRC the Dallas movies simply aren't put into syndication or really part of most box sets, so they probably felt like most of the audience wouldn't have seen them anyway. Part of the reason why Dallas was revived was to promote the old series too - get people buying the DVD, get channels to pick it up in syndication and so forth. That's why we are seeing older shows revived - it helps the old property too and heightens the value of it; even if Melrose Place 2009 was a complete flop, it still got some channels interested in airing reruns of the old show.

To be honest, I'm not exactly upset with them ignoring the movies, but I think there are ways to be ambigious about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Maybe, but with a show like Dallas, 14 seasons, if you're buying the DVDs you'd likely know the movies box set exists too. No? I have the white complete series box set and the movies come inside that. I get what you're saying about syndication though, it's been a while since they aired Dallas where I am so I don't remember if they played the movies but they probably didn't.

The movies weren't great, I don't think anyone really thinks they were, but they did kind of provide a nice in-between and set up some future storylines/provide something for the TNT writers to jump off from if they chose to (which of course they didn't, they didn't even bother to watch the actual show :rolleyes:).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    I don't care about the movies either to be honest, although the first one at least provided some closure to the series and did not veer far from the course. Reunion movies are more about catering to nostalgia and getting everyone together rather than propelling the plot in a meaningful way. But I don't think Cidre ignored the movies for strategic reasons--I think she ignored the movies for the same reason she ignored the series: she didn't want to do Dallas at all; she wanted to do her own show, and Dallas was just a vehicle for that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Medals:
    IIRC - she was told to ignore them. That was "higher brass" stuff. You can't really put that on her, but she could've been more vague about ignoring them.

7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    There is ignoring the Reunion Movies and then there is creating a continuation. Cynthia's story from the get-go was appalling. Her attempt at hood-winking the audience by leading us to believe the Ramos family had lived and grown up with the Ewing family just reeked of laziness. There simply wasn't a need for it. Having us believe Christopher knew zero of his cousin Pamela Rebecca was another story I had major issues with - just dumb.

When you insult my intelligence with lazy research and writing like that I'll respond with kind, it's called a remote, and it would appear most did. If anyone wishes to write a thesis on how not to create a continuation then look no further than Cynthia & Co's attempt with Dallas. For someone who makes a living (as a showrunner) how on earth does she remain relevant in the industry?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    You call the revisionist history of the Ramos laziness, I call it complete contempt for the audience. Like "these people are so hungry for Dallas to continue, I can slap anything on them." Even if Cidre did not feel like sitting down and watching decades of the show, there are so many sites she could have visited--or as some people have suggested, have TNT hire some obsessed fan to fact check (I am sure there would be a beeline from here ;)). But even if I can accept her arrogance and narcissism, how the hell did the execs who hold the rights to the intellectual property go along with it? This is the bigger mystery to me. That, and how TV people still trust her instead of hanging her from her nails in a public square in Hollywood as a dire cautionary tale for future showrunners.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    It's another pet peeve of mine. Dallas is an international brand. If a company is going to invest in a product the end result is that company wishes it be a success, to make even more money. Why then not invest in a history consultant like others have to ensure the success of that program. That said I see the history consultant clashing with the show-runner. "No. We don't call it a Cattle Barron's Ball." Or whatever the hell they called it on TNT Dallas. "It's the Oil Barron's Ball dumbass!"

• Like Like x 2
  10. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Watching the Ramoses walk all over the Ewings was certainly something I did not like to see. There were only three (after Hagman's death) blood Ewings on the show. Fans came to see the trials and tribulations of the Ewing Family not a never before mention Ramos family.

• Like Like x 1