What did you NOT like the most about the New Dallas?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by That Bowie Girl, Sep 12, 2016.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    Why couldn't Carmen at least been Teresa's sister? They didn't even make an attempt. This was the Ramos Show guest starring the Ewings and Rylands. Why didn't it work? Should anyone have to ask? When asked who was going to come out on top there was one answer, John Ross Ewing (I, II or III - take your pick). It's that simple. Some new fans really liked it for what it (Dallas 2.0) was but if they were going to kill the ratings they needed it to be what it had been (Dallas 1.0) with an updated next generation. They can try the whole 'network' took another direction but if this had taken off no way would they have sacrificed it. They took a risk on a new show "using" an old show and lost. What I expected was the old show making a come back. I expected too much I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  2. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Making John Ross a loser was awful. Everything John Ross did (except for rescuing Emma) blew up in his face and JR Ewing dying in some seedy Mexican hotel was even worst.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    Like me, you should lower your expectations if Dallas ever returns. This way it will look like Shakespeare wrote it :lolo:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    An appalling way to end one of the most iconic roles ever created for television. I accept the writers were caught out with Larry's death but when Dallas was first discussed for a return I believe that first season should have been about the death of JR Ewing. I had written about this scenario in another thread. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I believe the first season should have concentrated again on the chore of the family; JR, Sue Ellen, John Ross, Bobby and Christopher. With a clear idea from the get-go the series should have been set up with a premeditated idea of killing JR at the end of the first season. Instead of a "Who Shot J.R.?," it would have ended with "Who Killed J.R.?"

Instead we're left with a chaotic memory of JR being shot by Bum while speaking with John Ross on the phone. An awful image of white tape indicating where JR's body was sprawled out on the floor. Seriously? Was I watching some cop show from 1960? I know others thought JR's funeral was tastefully played but again I felt let down. We're given a shot of the family gathering somewhere in some random scrub land. There is nothing to emotionally attach yourself to Southfork. To think where those headstones of Miss Ellie, Jock and now JR rest, within walking distance of the home, I don't understand why the scenes were not filmed there. Picturing a scene of JR's coffin being lowered with Southfork in the background would have packed a more powerful emotional punch.

After JR was laid to rest the family return to the home where they are greeted by hundreds of mourners with special guest stars from those that appeared in the original series run. I had no time for certain characters but it would have been a nice touch to see Sue Ellen, now matriarch of Southfork standing quietly in the living room (original style, not that Pottery Barn TNT Southfork interior) gazing up at the portrait of Jock and Miss Ellie (and not that paint by numbers horrid thing in TNT Dallas). As we watch an emotionless expression on Sue Ellen we see out of focus figures appear behind her. The silence is broken when one of the women says, "Sue Ellen?"

She turns. Standing there is Afton, Mandy, Cally, Marilee, Sly and Phyllis. Sue Ellen invites them in. They all take a seat. What starts as uncomfortable conversation turns into laughter as they reminisce about JR.

What TNT Dallas needed was a real sense of emotional attachment as we all said goodbye to JR but I just didn't feel anything - and I should have.

• Like Like x 4
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    I felt I was trying to hard to feel something, very reliant on the past for anything at all. The fact is, the writers didn't care about the subject and it showed.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    That was awful! John Ross was at his sexiest when he was a winner with his schemes! It was almost like they were starting to think about him falling to JR's level of rapid power loss in the old Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    It was a crime drama. I strongly got that feeling when they showed that lab examination of Tommy Sutter's dead body. And that horrible scene where Pamela Rebecca calls some of her "people" to get rid of the body. Welcome to CSI Dallas! Absolutely awful. At the very least I can get a couple laughs with your accurate references like the Pottery Barn Southfork and that stupid paint by numbers painting of Jock and Miss Ellie. (What the hell happened to Clayton!? They just pretended that he never existed!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +134
    First of all they left out the reunion films--they could have had JR in that home but years later after the 1998 TV movie and explained why he got there and that's it-- Pamela should have not been written the way she was--The Ewings knew her by the reunion movies!UGH!

Second the split screen they needed to do or at least a cast pose with faces for the first 2 season!

Third the overuse of the CARTEL!

Fourth- MEAN CLIFF! He wasn't that mean in the original!

Finally the way they ended season 1 and 2 were WEAK! NOT HUGE! No lives in danger! No gunshots! No nothing! Just a dumb last few scenes and a "To Be Continued" then let's not even speak about how they ended season 3! Right there was how they should have ended 1-2 with REAL cliffhangers! But if I must say the last two scenes should have been switched around and the car bomb should have been the last one! For a final episode it was BAD! They didn't need those last 2 scenes--Maybe that guy attacking Nicolas before he boarded the plane would have been a better ending! That way we'd know he for sure must have died as well! HAH! But the last 2 scenes were BAAAAD since ratings were so low and they were not getting renewed!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    See it annoys me that they didn't use the TV movies for anything. Idk if they weren't allowed or if they were just lazy. The TV movies weren't great quality tbh but they did leave things with a good set up for the future; Bobby was in ranching, Christopher was to follow; Sue Ellen owned part of Ewing Oil and it was implied at some point she would buy out Bobby; JR owned Weststar but really just wanted Ewing Oil; John Ross had two oil companies to work with if he chose to. Cliff, Afton, and Pamela Rebecca all had their stories tied up nicely and tied in with the Ewing family too. Ray's story made little sense but he's Ray, he could have always just been around because he was a Ewing. Anyway, my point is is that they had a bit of bridging stuff to work with; it's not all that difficult to look 10-15 years ahead of the movies and have and idea of where people would be.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    I've never seen the TV movies, but I know enough about them to know that Cidre and co. were NOT using them! It would have made a lot more sense for Sue Ellen to be working at Ewing Energies (and where did that name come from?) in some way than running for governor of Texas.

11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    I swear, I just love how so many fans (myself included) of Dallas are so passionate about pointing out all of the horrible mistakes Cidre made with TNT Dallas. Maybe it is not quite on the same level as say for example, how angry the fans of Yugioh were and still are about the english translation of the anime by 4 Kids, but it is definitely up there!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    It's my understanding the producers/writers of TNT Dallas were informed to ignore Dallas; JR Returns and Dallas; War of the Ewing's movies. As it turned out Cynthia & Co., set TNT Dallas up for failure. There were far too many original fans still about, and they lived in hope Dallas would return one day and correct everything that was bad about the back-half of Lorimar Dallas and the tele-movies.

The most obvious mistakes were retrofitting characters into Lorimar Dallas just so Cynthia & Co. could justify their perceived exceptional story-telling. What became glaring obvious was the oldies drifted away- burned once again by those who believed they knew what made good television.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Why though? It just seems so lazy and stupid to completely ignore chunks of info. I know Patrick has said he and Larry produced one (or both?) of the movies for fun and the storylines weren't great (which any fan could tell you, but let's be real, Dallas filled with nobodies in the final season wasn't great either but that doesn't stop it from being officially a part of the series), but I don't understand why the writers of the new show wouldn't at least look to the movies for a general idea of how the characters were for a little bit of an idea about the years between the two shows.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    Only one person could answer that and it's highly unlikely Cynthia would accept a sit-down interview where she had to answer difficult questions. This is what frustrates me the most about people like her; they're rewarded for failure.

• Like Like x 4
  15. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    Repeating what I said the first time: Ignoring the reunion movies; Making the characters different then what they were especially Cliff; making things up as they went along and not being consistent with the original series. I could go on and on.

• Like Like x 2
  16. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Yes they destroyed what could have been a good series. What bothered me among what has been said was what they did with John Ross and Christopher. Of all of JR's traits to give to John Ross, they chose cheating? Also, Sue Ellen's "excuse" for not telling Pamela that her fiance was cheating on her was dumb. Finally, that threesome between Pamela/John Ross/Emma was dumb. Yes it was hot but it was stupid. Reality would have been Pamela coming with a gun to shoot John Ross and/or Emma.

Christopher was worst than Bobby. Just a mindless hothead. Jumping at a police officer is so stupid.

There were possibilities to have done with John Ross and Christopher. Killing off Christopher was just as stupid. If they needed to kill someone off, kill off Elena.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    I would say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but I have to remind myself Christopher is adopted, however, they do say children are a product of their environment so after watching Lorimar Dallas recently I understand where Christopher gets that quick temper from. Bobby was a "hothead" in those early years of Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    The respect for J.R. from John Ross wasn't there as had been the case between J.R. and Jock. John Ross spoke to both his father and mother in a condescending manner quite often. If J.R. had talked back to Jock or Miss Ellie like that, he'd have had his tail kicked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    Absolutely. Taking the stance of ignoring the reunion movies before creating TNT Dallas just set the show up for failure. Far too many Lorimar Dallas fans are still kicking and remember just about every detail and if not there are multiple websites to visit to brush up on your Dallas history, Cynthia & Co. couldn't even do that, which is embarrassing on their part. But, I'm left wondering? Was the intention to ignore the reunion movies deliberate because this show was after-all meant to be about the next generation of Ewing's. I believe it was because why else would the writers have us believe Pamela Rebecca and Christopher had never met. Dumb.

And let's not forget the fight David Jacobs and the union had to put up to have his name appear at the beginning of the credits as "Created by".

• Like Like x 2
  20. Pammy P

Pammy P Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Yeah, wonder what David Jacobs actually thought of the TNT version, not much I expect, it was written all wrong!

Did not like much of TNT but it was nice to see JR, Bobby & Cliff back in it, but "blink and their gone" appearances by Steve Kanaly and Charlene Tilton were not good, they should have been part of the storylines as original cast members alive and available to act. Very sad.

• Like Like x 1