What did you NOT like the most about the New Dallas?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by That Bowie Girl, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,660
    Medals:
    I think those are the leftover stones from the TNT cemetery. Unless they buried his medallion (and the things Wes Parmalee gave Miss Ellie)--or Cidre and her minions ignored "The Search" completely--I didn't see the need for a grave marker.

2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,142
    It does appear as though the producers of TNT Dallas gifted those headstones to Southfork Ranch. I'm curious why the producers of TNT Dallas chose to use some nondescript location for the burial scene of JR rather than just use the grounds of Southfork.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,142
    If your implying the need for a headstone (grave-marker) for Jock I have seen something similar when I've visited cemeteries as part of my hobby of family history.
    Some stones have written, "In Memoriam." Further research has discovered the body of that person doesn't actually lie there. They perhaps were killed in a War or drowned in a local river whilst bathing and their body was never recovered.

4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,125
    It wasn't all bad. I just think it had the wrong person in charge of it.

It could've been so much better. Cidre just wasn't the right person to helm the show.

Someone familiar with the original Dallas should've been showrunner.

David Jacobs & David Paulsen along with Lee Rich should've returned to the show.

Oh well, what's done is done, we can't change anything now. Dallas is dead & will probably remain so, no matter how much we love it. :(

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,142
    I agree. I'll also add good family drama is/has died a slow agonizing death on commercial television. Here in Australia the three main players, 7, 9 and 10 appear to have deserted the genre which is a shame since I believe there is a market for it. The problem of course is they deem it far too expensive to produce as opposed to those fake reality programs their dishing out. A new season of misfit cooking shows, I'm marrying someone I've never met before or I'm pretending to renovate a building when in fact I'm here to see how good I look on television are about to begin. Thank GOD I now have other interests and rarely switch the tele on.

Dallas itself may never return but at least I have my beloved Lorimar Dallas to re-watch again and again.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,125
    It upsets me that with a bit of tender loving care the Cyntax Dallas could've been great.

Sadly it wasn't to be.

The original Dallas is one of the greatest shows ever made.

That iconic theme music had me waiting in anticipation for the latest dramatic happenings at Southfork Ranch.

It's a part of my life that I treasure, growing up with such a great soap opera to watch. Like you Rove, I treasure the DVD boxsets of the original show & can watch it anytime I want. Although I do miss the days between seasons of waiting for the show to return. :(

• Like Like x 3
  7. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Oh my god! You have summed up exactly how I feel about those awful reality shows! It got so bad that I gave up television COMPLETELY years ago! Well, it was also because of school, but you get the picture. Thanks for that post!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Well, besides everything, I guess, the worst was JR again turning into Bobby's lapdog. He never should have given Southfork back.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,142
    The only other show that has that effect on people is Game of Thrones. While not everyone's cup of tea (I'm not as hard-core as others are) it certainly has the effect on people like Dallas did in its heyday. Dallas was such a phenomenon people would chat about what events (between seasons) that would likely occur in its season return. And to think, no internet in those days. We had to rely on those spoilers which would often appear in newspapers or magazines.

No other show on the planet has this effect on me anymore. I remember watching - in dread - those final episodes prior to the cliffhanger because you knew it was going to be a doozy. Then you had to wait nearly half a year for it to return. The good old days.

• Like Like x 3
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,103
    Medals:
    I think the biggest problem was trying to jam new history into the old Dallas - things like having Elena talk about how she used to sneak Christopher coffee while Pam was around was just unnecassary and just a reason to mention Pam without real purpose. The odd thing is that in the original pilot script she actually arrived at Southfork in 1992 (I believe) and why they didn't stick to that I don't know.

As for actors not speaking up - I think a lot of people forget that the actors/actresses aren't fans of the show themselves. Most of them probably get the script and only read their and rehearse their own scenes. Add that they don't shoot it in sequence either, so someone like Patrick might've shot the Cattle Baron's Ball scenes early on in the week, not thinking about how it was supposed to be a throwback to the Oil Baron's Ball until he later scenes that week. This is probably why so many Dallas actors end up messing up about their own storylines - it must be confusing if you only pay attention to your own scenes and on that of that don't shoot them in a logical sequence.

• Like Like x 4
  11. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I love your analysis. And I agree with all of it. I would add:

1. Christopher being a bigger hothead than Bobbie ever was.

2. Bobbie trying to sell Southfork without consulting anyone in his family and then getting angry when JR and John Ross tried to purchase it.

3. Everything about the Ramos family and the Ewings putting up with them.

4. Putting Cythia Cidre, a person who had not watched the original series in charge was their first and biggest mistake.

5. Making Cliff Barnes a monster. Blowing up a platform with people standing on it was bed enough but with your pregnant daughter standing on it is evil and unforgivable.

6. Of all of JR's traits to give to John Ross, they chose cheating?

7. Totally wasted Emma. There was potential.

12. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I actually like it better than I did first time around. I was a frequent visitor to these boards back then and, on reflection, I may have been overly harsh at times. Nevertheless there were some key weaknesses. A couple of representative examples of the most egregious- lack of dramatic payoff. Remember the methane project? What happened to that? More disturbingly: when Pamela is revealed to be a Barnes we were promised a firestorm and instead the viewer was served up some lamentably poor writing.

It also lost its way too early and, alas, couldn't find its way back (the first half of Season 2 is a mess). There was no clear idea of what it wanted to be. The right ingredients were largely there but only rarely and tantalisingly did we get a glimpse of what a worthy addition it could have been to the Dallas canon.

Oh, but it looked gorgeous at times. Gonzalo and Henderson also demonstrated they had acting chops when the writing gave them something to do. Having revisited some episodes recently my delight at seeing Larry reprise his role cannot assuage my discomfort at seeing a very frail actor on screen.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,325
    Medals:
    :kiss::kiss::kiss: Love this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    So true, now rewatching the original, every time I see that basketball hoop, I think of the young Ewings and McKays playing together, which was so stupid and makes me cringe. Please banish that from my head so I don't have to think of it!

And Ken, I don't think he even watched much of the original show, he barely remembers anything from it. And them thinking Linda Gray was a terrible actress, she just won Best Actress for that short "Wally's Will" at some festival. You have to give her good material, they seemed to have no clue what Linda was good at. Bobby and JR had power, but they seemed to happy just to be back on television. The way Patrick Duffy kissed her ass all the way through- what a disappointment he was. The others really had no power to do anything- you complain to the head writer and showrunner the scripts aren't good enough when she is thinking she is making landmark television, you'll probably be on your way out, and it's hard to get a role on television, sometimes people just hope for the best, but surely after seeing that 2nd season, they knew it was terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Medals:
    Character assassination - making Cliff into a psychopathic murderer willing to kill his own daughter and grandchildren, and other innocent people just to get revenge on the Ewings;

Rewriting history - Miss Ellie having a nervous breakdown, Bobby lashing out at Afton for no reason; Katherine supposedly being dead and Cliff somehow getting her jewelry, etc.;

No family dinners/meals/cocktail hours at Southfork

Too many fast-paced plots, deaths and events that didn't leave the characters and viewers time to react, grieve or even care about what transpired

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,142
    I was really looking forward to seeing Dallas in High Definition since it is a show that lends itself to grand sweeping shots of Southfork. I'll admit the ranch may not be the huge estate it once was and viewers may no longer have an interest in ranching but I just think Dallas and HD were a match made in heaven. An excellent example was when they made the special opening credits in honor of Larry Hagman. From the opening fly in shot of Southfork, the depth of field used to Dallas and Southfork bathed in golden hues. Lord in the right hands Dallas could have been a roaring success.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +207
    The show could have been a continuation of the original but their first mistake was placing in charge a person who did not see the original series and clearly did not care.

The character assassination of Cliff Barnes as well as rewriting history hurt the show. Also, fans wanted to see the trials of tribulations of the Ewing Family not some never before mentioned Ramos Family and watching them walk over the Ewings. There were three (after Hagman's death, two) blood Ewings on the show.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,142
    This was their Achilles' heel. A work colleague (a huge fan of the original series run) and I discussed this at length the following day after episode 1 screened. We both had the same reaction. "Who are trying to kid?" They may have hood-winked those that had never seen the original but unfortunately for Cynthia & Co., there were far too many original fans still hanging about eager to see our beloved series return.

I could have lived with the Ramos family if only their story slotted into the Dallas timeline, not retro-fitted into the original series. And they should only have been secondary characters to the main event - the Ewing family.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,149
    Medals:
    What I did not like the most:

[​IMG]:mad:

• Like Like x 4