What did you NOT like the most about the New Dallas?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Ms. Paige, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Christophersmom

Christophersmom Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The way Cliff was changed to be evil instead of goofy .

• Like Like x 5
  2. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    I'm honestly not so sure that Cidre believed that now. Because wouldn't that also mean that she thought Bobby was dead, too? Unless of course she forgot that he "died" in the dream and only remembered Katherine's "death". But I can't help wondering if she just intentionally decided to ignore Katherine just because it would complicate her ridiculous Barnes Global storyline.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    I agree with you about everything here except 1. Bobby never bothered to search for Pam after she disappeared from the hospital after her car crash in the original Dallas, so it wasn't a shock to me that he didn't care about looking for her this time either.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Good points Swami!

They placed an amateur in charge of the "new Dallas" who knew next to nothing about Dallas or what made it work! How can you rebuild Dallas if you don't understand the blueprint for what made Dallas successful in the first place?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Great points, Tatiana!

The worst thing is Dallas at its original best went from being a serious dramatic saga about the Ewing family and their feud with the Barnes family to being a show that was as much about the Ramos family (Who?) as it was about the Ewings and instead of continuing as a serious dramatic saga about a powerful Texas family it became just another bad crime show with very little sense of family unity among the Ewings. The greatest strength the Ewings had is that they always joined together when threatened by outsiders because of the strong importance of family Jock and Ellie had instilled in them ever since they started traditions such as the family dressing up for dinner and eating together at 6 PM every night, right after they had a cocktail or two together. Those traditions were destroyed or erased in the "continuation."

• Like Like x 3
  6. loonyboyx

loonyboyx Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It was never going to be a recreation of the golden years because it's a different century now and pandering to hardcore fans will mean most potential viewers will feel left out. Those people who just remember the show being about JR and Sue Ellen fighting and Bobby being the nice brother.

I enjoyed the first couple of years but felt that S3 slipped too far into bad thriller territory. It stopped being about the characters from that point and became all about a plot that should have lasted 2 episodes.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    The decision to resurrect Dallas should also have been the catalyst on how to present the new version of Dallas. Of course Dallas 2.0 was never going to capture the "golden years" of the original series however the writers/show-runner should have nutted out (prior to screening) how they were going to present their version. Do they risk the wrath of those die-hard fans by not including J.R., Sue Ellen, Bobby, Ray, Donna, Cliff, Afton and Jenna but also alienating new fans who wouldn't watch those old bastards and bitches trade blows.

Should Dallas 2.0 taken a risk and only had the next generation of characters; John Ross, Christopher, Pamela Rebecca, Lucas, Margaret and the unknown child of J.R., and Cally. Would this have guaranteed a successful Dallas 2.0? Most will argue Dallas wouldn't be Dallas without J.R., Bobby and Sue Ellen.

Dallas 2.0 (in my opinion) could have worked. The market for quality family drama is there - just look at the success of Downton Abbey. Dallas 2.0 simply needed a good story which blended all those characters mentioned. When it was announced Dallas 2.0 was returning millions of people that were fans of the original series rejoiced. I felt a little apprehensive when I heard the writers were informed to ignore the reunion movies. Why? What was their plan for Dallas 2.0?

What they presented was a train wreck from the get go. Their attempt at implying the Ramos family grew up with the Ewing's was abysmal. The notion that Christopher was about to marry his cousin and he wasn't aware of it was laughable. There was also the Ryland family. Terrible writing, plots that made no sense, secondary characters that became main players. Dallas 2.0 was a mosh-pit of nightmares and the viewers left in droves.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,025
    All that shows is she didn't do her homework as regards the correct timeline for the original Lorimar Dallas.

Anyone who has watched Dallas will know that if Bobby didn't die, then neither did Katherine.

That is irrefutable logic, only an idiot with no knowledge of the show would make inane mistakes like that.

As a showrunner she should've closely watched the original Lorimar Dallas from start to finish.

She didn't do that & the TNT Dallas continuation is littered with continuity errors!

Is it any wonder the ratings crashed spectacularly over the three years it ran. However that was mostly due to the direction the show was creatively steered in too! :(

• Like Like x 6
  9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    That just goes to show how incompetent Cidre was. I would really like to know who gave her the job she got and why that person gave her the job. I can't believe she was the most competent. Sure, technically it's possible that the other applicants knew even less about Dallas than Cidre did, but it's just not probable. It's possible but not probable.

Just look at how so many of the core posters of this forum have a knowledge of Dallas that absolutely dwarfs Cidre's knowledge of Dallas including what made Dallas work and why. Although it's very possible that a few of those posters might be professional TV writers, I'm sure the majority of the people here who are not merely fans but Dallas historians, and do it for free because to them it's a fascinating, very fun hobby. When it's so easy to find people right here who could write circles around Cidre, even though many, probably the vast majority, don't write professionally. I won't name names because it would be too easy to leave people out by accident, so let's just put it this way: The average person who has been posting about Dallas on this forum since before Cidre's continuation of Dallas aired is a mental giant compared to Cynthia Cidre and just as importantly if not more, they also have a passion for Dallas that Cynthia Cidre clearly doesn't have.

The things I dislike the most about "New Dallas" are so numerous that they are an absolute litany of complaints including things such as that while Dallas was originally a dramatic saga about the Ewings, a Texas family in the oil and ranching businesses who have a son who has just married the daughter of the man who despises Ewing patriarch Jock Ewing more than any man alive, the New Dallas became an entirely different show with about the only similarity being that some actors retuned to play the original characters they portrayed.

Watching "New Dallas" I got the feeling that the "show runner" ( a term I was taught by some fellow posters here, thank you very much) delighted in doing away with as many Ewing family traditions as possible and gave new characters which she created for New Dallas - the Ramos family - an inordinate amount of TV time! The show was incessantly interrupted for ads more than any show I've ever seen in prime time and the Ramos family were like minor league baseball team in comparison to The Ewings who to continue the comparison were like The New York Yankees! One more example from this litany of complaints about New Dallas is that they made so many blunders with Ewing history or Dallas canon if you prefer, that it just rubbed our noses in the stink of the garbage which Cynthia Cidre had the audacity to call "Dallas."

• Like Like x 6
  10. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    You make an interesting point but I think that appealing to hardcore fans would have meant many more viewers than they actually got. It reminds me of a saying I heard a long time ago and it went something like this: "Once you lose your hardcore fans you're dead."

• Like Like x 3
  11. TomParks2016

TomParks2016 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +425
    What they did to Cliff Barnes was totally a joke......if they watched the final season of the Lorimar show Cliff was going insane over the Johnny Dancer murder, and yet we are to believe he became a stone cold killer? No way. :mo:

• Like Like x 5
  12. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +642
    TNT's continuation is what got me into the original series. In saying that, since I hadn't seen the original show, the continuation didn't disappoint me. I actually thought it was a pretty well-written show. Several people I talked to that had watched the original series when it was first on, actually seemed to prefer the new series' ways of "fast-paced" storytelling. Sure, the new series may have had its perks, but so does the original.

J.R.'s death didn't affect me all that much. Sure, I like J.R. (he's the main reason to watch the original), but I do think the show would have carried on without him. John Ross (played brilliantly by Josh Henderson) was more than capable of being "J.R. for a new generation". He was pretty and conniving, a dangerous combination.

I haven't watched the continuation series it ended back in 2014, but I am hoping to get them on DVD to re-watch in the future. Once I re-watch them, my views may have changed (since I've watched more of the original by now), but I seriously doubt I will find the new series as disappointing as others have.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    It was my interpretation that Katherine had died (in Cynthia's mind) some time after the dream season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. However, the matter of fact on how Bobby announced it mid-sentence was appalling. I thought at the time my ears had deceived me so replayed the scene. I was gobsmacked. No explanation, no emotion from Bobby. Just, nothing.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,025
    That's because in the TNT Cyntax version Bobby became a cold, smug, sanctimonius character & he was anything but likeable. I will always prefer the Bobby Ewing of the original Lorimar Dallas.

It's certainly possible that Katherine Wentworth could've died much later on. We know from the TNT Cyntax Dallas that Cidre just loved to retcon stuff just to suit the storylines.

I just wonder how Katherine died, could someone driving a car & wearing a big hat have knocked her down! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    That is how I've explained it to myself. The question remains though. How did Katherine die? There was no explanation to any of it apart from Cynthia's apology to Morgan Brittany and her agent for the dumb decision. From the three series Dallas TNT that is THE event I find so unforgivable, that, and just about everything else.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    You're not alone there. I remember this caused quite a lot of chatter in the previous life of "Soapchat." Dallas TNT appeared to use the front entrance to Southfork quite a lot however I only recall the front door being used in Lorimar Dallas when Miss Ellie asked for someone to retrieve her shotgun because a reporter managed to make his way there.

The original layout was far superior. When the Ewing family made their way from the living room to the dining room or vise-versa the long shots gave the scenes grandeur.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +672
    It's kind of absurd that Morgan Brittany herself was doing interviews and on Twitter talking about how she would love to be asked back and that Katherine's story never really ended. It wasn't implausible that Katherine was still floating around in the Dallas universe and it wasn't impossible for them to get her back if they wanted her.
    Then she openly criticised the way the show was going. I'm sure that sealed some fate lol.
    She comes across very well in interviews though (specifically the Dallas Divas Derby ones). She actually knows her character beyond the clips that are always shown on talk shows and she actually appears to really care about settling where Katherine is now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screenshots grabbed from http://ewingoil.tumblr.com/

• Like Like x 6
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Oh yes, yes! That 3-way split-screen opening of original-recipe CBS Dallas from Lorimar is what I grew up with (that, and the flyover of Texas Stadium, among other things), although it did come back in a way for the third and final season.

That's exactly what you're supposed to do if you want to start up a new version of any great series from the past-- learn from how it was then, and apply what you learned to the new version.

• Like Like x 1
  19. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Medals:
    When Pam disappeared after her car crash in 1987, Bobby respected her wishes of not wanting to be found (although totally out of character for the both of them). It hurt him and Christopher a lot, but I can live with the fact that that hurt had died down in 2012, since he was still thinking that she was still alive and had left him and Christopher for Dr. David Gordon. But... the fact that she had already died in 1989 and HAD WANTED to return to her family should have done something to him. Maybe give him some feeling of guilt of neglecting her wishes at the time or something. Feelings of remorse or whatever. Which would have caused trouble for him and Ann. But alas... none of that...

• Like Like x 3
  20. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    I always wondered just what Patrick Duffy was thinking when he found out that he had to say that line. Although it's not that he could've argued about it without potentially losing his job.

• Like Like x 1