What did you NOT like the most about the New Dallas?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by That Bowie Girl, Sep 12, 2016.

1. That Bowie Girl

That Bowie Girl Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Space Cadet
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Just starting the threads back will reply later...this one will take me too long :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Oh boy, where to start :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,019
    Medals:
    Cliff Barnes, how he had been written as opposed to original series. I was glad to see Ken Kercheval returning to the role though.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    They killed Katherine Wentworth. That was unforgivable.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,436
    Medals:
    Making Cliff Barnes completely unbelievable, the whole Mexican caper.

Swami

• Like Like x 8
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,240
    Medals:
    No 3way split screen opening credits in the first 2 seasons. I think it never recovered from that. :D

• Like Like x 3
  7. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +183
    The unforgivable thing is that Cidre thought Katherine is dead. You know, she ran Bobby over with her car and died. :D As far as I can tell, I think Cidre didn't know that this was a part of Pamela's dream.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    For me it's the focus & direction I didn't like. Making the Ewings guest stars in their own show was wrong, there was too many extraneous characters. It should've been about the Ewings.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Medals:
    The focus on the Mexican drug cartel in season three
    Emma & John Ross
    The threesome/drug overdose/revenge plot
    The lack of character depths
    The couples ping ponging back and forth
    Mama Ryland's ridiculous brothell
    Dangling the "Pam might return" carrott in front of us for 2 seasons and then claiming she's been dead since 1989
    JR's masterpiece - (not the episode, the plot. I don't like JR having himself shot!)
    Evil Cliff
    The PamBecca hoax
    JR & Sue Ellen's scenes being deleted

• Like Like x 7
  10. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,447
    Medals:
    I was happy seeing some of my favourites back like Larry, Linda and Patrick. I didn't hate the new series, but it was not like the original.

I didn't like how Cliff was in the new series. He didn't even bond with Christopher but in the original they did.

The Mexican Cartel was boring.

The threesome scene was a little much. We didn't see much thank God.

Deleted scenes how could they delete any scenes with Larry or Linda.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tatianna

Tatianna Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Political Organizer/.Campaigner
    Ratings:
    +811
    For me, 1.) it was lack of proper research between the original and the TNT version causing a real conflict with continuity. 2.) I did not like the overall personality transplant for Cliff Barnes. 3.) the new Bobby had become a person I no longer felt was interesting. 4.) The sense of family unity was missing.

• Like Like x 9
  12. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,992
    Medals:
    What I disliked most was how they presented this series as a continuation of the original Dallas rather than being a completely new show. There was little continuity between how some characters behaved compared to how they were in the original series, particularly Cliff. Had this fiasco been touted as Dallas: The Next Generation and just had guest appearances from the original cast it might have been easier to accept in inconsistencies.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,338
    Medals:
    :shy6:A few things but I really hated the remodelling of Southfork. I didn't know where anything was and it really confused me :(

• Like Like x 6
  14. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    It was especially hard for us to know where everything was at Southfork when we barely even saw Southfork!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +737
    I hated that despite claiming it was a continuation, some things were drastically changed and it soon came out that a lot of those changes were unintentional. I will forever be a bit bitter about the lack of genuine preparation for writing the continuation of such an iconic show. The unnatural character changes, forgotten characters and pointless visual changes were annoying and frustrating.

To go with the previous point, I didn't like the lack of consideration for fans of the original. If you're going to advertise and promote it with the intention of getting original viewers back, at least give them something to grasp on to. If the intention was to simply write a drama/crime drama based in Texas and there was never a real wish to have it link back in history, then they should have just named it something else and never associated it with original Dallas in the first place.

I didn't like the lack of family time. While the original was possibly a bit too close for comfort when it came to how much time the Ewings spent together, it did assist the storyline to have breakfast, cocktail and dinner scenes. As well as that, the large events (Oil Baron's Ball, Ewing Barbecue and Ewing Rodeo etc) were a great way to have storylines converging.

The "child" characters were also really immature in the new show. I found myself having to remember sometimes that they weren't in high school or even young adults, they were supposed to be men in their 30s... it certainly didn't feel like it sometimes.

The crime drama that had nothing to do with the Ewings? Not my cup of tea.

The pathetic underuse of Linda Gray. She was a huge part of the bargaining to get all three main originals back, she was promoted as a main character, she was doing the press circuit and was adamant that she was willing and ready to work, but continually the scripts in the first season didn't even bother to include her. Then when they did, they cut her scenes :confuse::mo:

• Like Like x 5
  16. Pammy P

Pammy P Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +406
    What did I not like - Everything!
    1. Bobby Ewing changed totally, never in a million years would he not have searched for dearest Pammy, and shrug off her death like he did.
    2. The writing was DIRE, cameo appearance from Ray & Lucy, two main stream characters should have had more meateor storylines.
    3. Brenda Strong married to Bobby, no disrespect, but her character was never going to be the new Miss Ellie or her daughter Lucy!
    4. The Drug Cartel thing was not part of Oil in my book.
    5. Was ruined. I don't class that as Dallas at all.
    6. Dallas ended for me in 1987 when VP walked away, she was the backbone of the show, Barnes v Ewing and she was the link!

• Like Like x 5
  17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    The Good:

- Seeing the Duffster, Sugar and Larry again on my TV on a weekly basis, after all these years.
    - Seeing what a wonderful character actress Ms. Gray has become.
    - Casting JR3 and PamBecca with such gorgeous super-charismatic actors as Henderson and Gonzalo.
    - Bringing back Gary for a mini-subplot.
    - Everything related to "J.R.´s Masterpiece" plot, except the shot of J.R.´s presumed corpse at the forensics.
    - Photographing Southfork and Dallas in such a beautil way, and giving the city a night allure the original didn´t have.
    - Casting each and every minor character with amazing actors. Outstanding were Kevin Page as Bum and Leonor Varela as the very fake Marta del Sol.
    - Clothes: everybody looked elegantly Texan but not tacky.
    - Songs on "Dallas": about time...My favorite: "Turning Tables" from the Pilot.
    - Giving closure to the Pam character (after comparing her to a cow in Season 1). Oh and Victoria´s reaction to that, priceless!

The Bad:

- Everything related to the Ramoses. Not the fact they were Mexican, just the writing, characterization and their relevance.
    - The cameos of Charlene, Steve, Audrey and Joan. Too bad they bothered to call them, they should have demanded more lines in advance!
    - The much-criticized interior sets of Southfork and the spaceship-like offices of Ewing Whatever.
    - Sue Ellen missing in most of Season 1.
    - Bobby becoming a grumpy old men.
    - Cliff becoming a male, older version of stepsister Katherine.
    - Sue Ellen back to the bottle (that had to last only one episode or two).
    - Everybody forgetting the plots of the previous season (no sense of continuity).
    - Jesse Metcalfe´s over-the-top performance (and no nude scenes of him).
    - No sense of romanticism or family tradition in the writing.
    - No nude scenes (either) of Henderson, the Bo guy, or Nicoquín (aren´t cable channels for that, among other things?).
    - Multi-personality of PamBecca (she should´ve stayed as was in the second season).

The Ugly:

- Us being nicknamed by Cider House as "forkies". Fork you if you ask me!
    - Drunk Sue Ellen falling down in the midseason cliffhanger. She deserves some respect, she´s a legendary TV character!
    - Everything about Judith Brown Ryland, especially her running a brothel and snorting coke!
    - Cider House killing off Katherine and even so writing out-of-character for her (leaving Cliff her Catherine the Great earrings! Not in her worst nightmares...nor Pam´s).
    - Miss Ellie´s memory tarnished by a) a non-existent depression after Jock´s death (it was "denial" instead, and some dish-crashing cured it) and b) giving John Ross half Southfork, when she herself had given all of it to Bobby in TOS.
    - The threesome (just for the sake of it). One of the least sexy scenes in the "Dallas" history.
    - Cutoff hands, piled-up corpses, sperm-searching. Big no-no´s for "Dallas".
    - TNT Dallas axing the show to prove how strong the new suits were. Even implying to say a big Fukuoka! to all the show´s audience (no matter how big or small, still millions).
    - Cider House´s name as a producing company: Cyntax. It sounds like something for the severe colic.

:jolly::jump::jum::jumping:

PS: Anyone else likes the new emos?

• Like Like x 6
  18. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    And having the Dallas logo coming on sideways didn't sit well with me either!

Anyone who has actually watched Dallas knows that the logo zooms up the middle of the screen, usually from the Dallas cowboys stadium or from a long shot of the city in the distance in the later years.

I suspect the new titles were put together by three chimps! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ChrisEwing2003

ChrisEwing2003 Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For me a big issue was the story inconsistencies already listed in this topic. I also wish that Christopher was not as rough around the edges as he ended up being. I also wish that the Barnes/Ewing feud was not reused the way it was. It should have died with JR, since it was mostly Cliff vs JR.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    So much has been written about the appalling re-birth of Dallas. Ratings (U.S.A.) for the return episode showed promise however by episode 2 half the audience had vanished and continued to slide. How the series managed to get to three seasons is beyond me. Straight up I felt cheated. I understand the new producers were told to ignore the Dallas Reunion movies. Sorry, they exist, for all to see and understand that Pamela Rebecca, John Ross and Christopher were acquaintances. From the get go I knew who Rebecca Sutter was - no shock there. The other glaring error was the Ramos family. Didn't buy that one either. From there it just went down hill.

• Like Like x 4