What could be done to make Krystle smarter?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Those head injuries really took a toll (and you all know I want Krystle flat-out psychic healer by, say, Season 8) but what could be done, as early as S3 or S4, to convey Krystle's intelligence and strength in a way they just didn't or wouldn't?

She worked as Blake's executive assistant for a couple of years, so she must have learned something about business, certainly the oil business, during that time. But we saw no evidence of it.

Should she have been in the board room from time to time, just as she briefly was during Blake's S1 trial, threatening the members with removal from their positions?

When she was back at Denver-Carrington in the public relations department, they did nothing with it -- the plot seemed solely an effort to fuel the silly Tracy Kendall schemes.

Should Krystle have been conversant in art and, perhaps, politics --- an Ohio farm-bred Jackie Kennedy? We're told that Alexis had these skills, but she was too busy insulting people and telling them to get out of her office for us to ever see them.

[​IMG]

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,678
    Medals:
    I mean basically, a decent script where she expressed her own views and opinions and didn't just sigh and react to other peoples ideas and actions. She basically just propped up Blake and reminded everyone that Alexis was a bitch now and again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,030
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Nothing. They tried everything... And I mean "everything"...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe a brain transplant? But done carefully...​

upload_2019-9-26_1-15-18.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +811
    One thing they could have done was have her point out the many absurdities of the Carrington life:

" Blake, I don't think a convicted murderer is going to have an easy time running for governor. Maybe you should back a candidate instead of running yourself."

"Jeff, seeing as how you inherited your uncle's mansion, maybe it would be better if you and your new bride lived there instead of here with your ex-wife down the hall."

"Claudia, since you literally just got out of a mental institution, maybe you should wait a little bit before jumping right into marriage with a man who recently announced to his family that he is gay."
    "Uh, no Alexis. You caused me to have a miscarriage and almost killed me in the process. I don't think I'll meet you alone in an isolated cabin."

"Dominique, why are you so hell bent on joining this family? Everyone who does ends up insane, dead, or worse, dull as dishwater. Besides there's nothing ever to do except sit on couches and flip through magazines."

If Krystle revealed her intelligence this way it would force the writers to come up with smarter, more creative ways to advance the plot.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Medals:
    :clap::clap::clap:

6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Or just a little more of this?:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Agreed.

Even reading some of Alexis' lines - during season 6 premiere - made her look dumber...​

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    She certainly didn't seem dumber in the boardroom in Season 1!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Bigger shoulder pads!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,678
    Medals:
    Well I mean I don't know about making her smarter but they could have made her less insipid. I have just watched an episode of season 5 that almost made me puke. Pregnant Krystle sitting at night in the Solarium. She's in a peach negligee number looking over interior design sketches and swatches for Krystina's room. Lord knows why, all they did was change anything that blue to pink and called it a day. But that's beside the point. Krystle then starts talking out loud, I guess to God about how she wants to have a good and happy home for her child and her family or something along those lines. Then she says that's all I have ever wanted.

Is that all she ever wanted? Even with Mark, or Matthew? or Luke or John?

11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Medals:
    Luke Fuller?
    John Zorelli?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    It is true that Krystle had a storyline in season 2, Evans still played it as a three-dimensional character, and the antagonism with Alexis made scenes between the two Mrs. Carringtons compelling.
    But the seeds of Krystle's destruction were already sown early on in episode 2 of season 2, in this scene

Steven is still the same and so is Blake, but while Krystle is insisting that Blake change toward Steven, she has forgotten that she was taking contraceptive pills because she wasn't sure she wanted to be tied to this man for life. In fact Blake finding the pills is the reason he raped her. But here she is crying in desperation because she is pregnant not because she is horrified that she is tied to this man who raped her a few nights earlier, but for a completely different reason.

Earlier at the lunch table Blake, after a confrontation with Fallon, had said he wished he never had children, and tells Krystle "that night that I forced you ...the night that I wanted you to have my child, it was even a bigger mistake than you thought. The last reward that I need is another child. And you were quite right to be angry with me." Krystle, already suspecting she is pregnant, is upset, and tells him "we've been through this," to which Blake categorically states: "yes, but it's settled now, really settled. I was wrong and you were right. I don't need another child." Krystle looks in horror and is visible shaken as he utters these, and it is the same desperation when she announces she is pregnant in this scene. Two episodes in the season, Krystle now wants the child that came out of this rape, even after Blake has (accidentally) killed Ted Dinard and even after she found out about his violent temper years earlier with Roger Grimes.

The original Krystle would not have been so quick to announce her pregnancy from this Blake before mulling it over and considering options herself or with a trusted confidant (but alas, her friends had quickly disappeared). Yet since the plot calls for her to lose the child, courtesy of some red-tartan clad shooter, already her personality changes to wanting a child, even from this man, no questions asked.

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Medals:
    Hmm, interesting point. What would you have done to solve this?

14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Sometimes I think it's a simple as this:

Husky-voiced Krystle = good
    Squeaky-voiced Krystle = bad

It's not so much what she says or does, it's how she says or does it. And we all know that after S.A.D. kicked in circa Season 3, joined with the increasingly-fuzzy scripting, Linda could no longer focus or rein herself in.

Joan Crawford, for all of her moral sins, sometimes helped up-and-coming starlets by telling them to read the phonebook out loud, but to make sure their vocal pitch was deep and low, to bring down their overly-girlish squeak... Somehow, Linda did the opposite during DYNASTY. And while I can't blame her solely, given the creative pathologies that surrounded her on the show, her slipping into shrill automation didn't help.

Linda just seemingly wasn't able to control herself anymore.

[​IMG]

15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    But she said in an interview around year 3 (available on youtube--just kinda lazy to look it up right now) that she wasn't comfortable the first two years, and she got more confident by year three. I have the impression that the direction/production of the show was more demanding and more actually, directing, the first two years of the show, and then when they came up with what they considered the formula for success (the 50s studio feel, the gowns, the camp, the melodramatic music carpet) they only cared that this formula is adhered to by all. The formula is what Douglas S Cramer alluded to (I think in the E True Hollywood Story) and said they didn't feel they had a hit until then. "Being on the #1 show" meant everything to the Dynasty brass, and some of the actors too, to the detriment of all else. I don't think Evans was one of them, but I think she was willing to go along with the malaise that passed for creativity in the show's worst years.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    I would have had her talk about her doubts with someone, anyone. That other person would have even asked her whether she really wanted the child now, or she was merely threatened by Alexis' return. The events could have been the same. But how we got there would have made the difference.

17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    Medals:
    Oh, I'd like to see that --- was that the special which featured John, Joan and Linda, as well as Doug Cramer, from early in shooting Season 3 when they're all so bright eyed and bushy-tailed, just before things started to go wrong?

18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    Yeah, it is while shooting at the studio, and I remember Forsythe around as well. I think it is for some TV segment or a morning show. I will post it when I come across it.

19. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Medals:
    Nick Toscanni? True, he wasn't supposed to come in till later, but he could have been brought in earlier.

Course I'd still have it so that Krystle decides on her own that she truly wants the baby, and that if Blake didn't want it, she'll keep it for herself. Thankfully, Blake decides he wants the baby too, so it looks like the wedded couple are on a slow recovery... until the accident.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  20. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    I think the one you mention is the TV Guide special

but the one I reference with Evans talking about she is finally not putting pressure on herself and relaxing is this one

But they are both from early season 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1