Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kevmac, Mar 23, 2017.
Did I just say the nazi treasure plot was "dumpy"??
I too failed to read the word "soap" in the thread title. :forgive:
... I kinda like it .... you've invented a great new descriptive.... "Dumpy".
"Trump rambled on in his usual fashion, waving his dumpy little hands, as per....."
Works for me.... ?
No need to apologise, Angel..... All themes are gratefully received...
My favourites Soap themes
It was my favourite show growing up.
2. Knots Landing
I loved the show, the theme song is great.
3. Guiding Light
I was addicted to the show, my favourite daytime soap opera.
From "my" period of Guiding Light love....the most polarizing version of their opening titles, about ten years prior to the clip above:
For GL to go from their quiet, gentle opening to this spectacle was like...well, Miss Ellie suddenly break dancing and spinning on her head.
The producers behind Guiding Light, as well as The Edge of Night, Another World and others would often tell the showrunners that they wanted to change the opening titles to copy other shows. In the GL case, they were trying to chase the teenagers that had flocked to watch General Hospital.
Another World got a hack showrunner who decided her daytime soap would try to copy primetime show ER, so she tossed out the brilliant opening sequence that I cited upthread and replaced it with this:
Hmm....not so very awesome, to put it mildly.
1. Dallas : Not just because of how epic the tune is and how much I love it, but also the excitement and adrenaline that went with knowing that Dallas was starting. More so the first time around watching it as a kid, but still even now.
2. Falcon Crest : Love it for how sweeping, dramatic and majestic it is. I remember when I was young, before I even started watching Falcon Crest, having the tune going around in my head and thinking what is that music.
3. Dynasty : It's beautiful and, like the others, it takes me back to my youth.
I do love the theme to Knots Landing, probably season 4 the most cause I love the strings. I'm not so keen on the sax, if they did a version that was just strings and horns it would probably rate higher on my list.
I've never really liked The Colby's theme tune much.
Although I like a lot of the UK soap themes too I prefer the 80's primetime ones.
1. Dallas - best theme tune in the world.
Don't really know about the others - I like Knots and Howard's Way.
I would say not! This one is my favorite:
I like all things Another World, and one of the things you can't help but notice in this long-form version of the end credits is how large the cast was in the 1985 period. Soaps had such larger budgets back then and so much going on. Then again, by 1987 about 2/3 of that cast had been turned over in favor of new characters, which speaks to how fast they could burn through plots (and characters).
And semi-OT of this: the Today V/O promo with Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley was Today as I grew up with it; the current Today of 32 years later (I was 4 then) is nowhere near that.
Bumping this up: here's another of my favorites-- the 1981-93 theme of As The World Turns, especially on the closing credits. The visuals help immensely too, with that extra-large globe spinning in the middle of the screen, and the three rays of light jutting out from that globe from top-right, bottom-left, and bottom-right. Here's, IMO, a great example of that from the bottom of Mar. 1986.
These were my favorite versions of the Guiding Light theme:
Per the likes I received on that long version closing sequence from Another World in '85, I'd like to show here what the opening was like that was used with that theme song. When I first saw this as a boy, I thought it was incredibly scary, but now, having revisited it some years back from a defunct site called The World of Soap Themes, it's actually not that scary at all, at least to me, and, like the theme song, the opening is my favorite of all the openings that AW had in its long run on NBC.
One note though: the title track used in the premiere version of this opening from 9/7/81 is far lower-pitched than what it would be for the remainder of the lifespan of this opening on AW.
Twin Peaks (Is it soap?)
As The World Turns (1981-93)
The Young and the Restless (2017)
The Bold and the Beautiful (2017)
Three by Bill Conti:
North and South (1985 miniseries)
Dynasty (original version)
Falcon Crest (Season 1)
- I grew up with Dallas, and it has become a big part of my life, still Dallas remains my favorite series of all soaps. Furthermore, I can just not say so much about it, Dallas was already a legend itself.
02. Knots Landing
- Even though I have never really seen the whole series, but I found the theme of Knots Landing always very beautiful, I always found it sounds very jazzy, it's a tune that has stuck in my head for years. I hope to see the complete series one day.
- Like Dallas, Dynasty was also a big part of my life with which I grew up. The theme song of Dynasty really had something of richness and glamor, which are constantly being played in my head.
There were also a few others I considered to put in the top 3, but this was really my first choice.
Separate names with a comma.