1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,138
    p.s. both Jackie and Joan have been name-dropped.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,876
    I don't know if it's the name, the aeroplane theme or the ruggedness, but something about Bill Sanders screamed Return To Eden miniseries to me.

It's so much fun keeping track of which characters are irritating you the most.

Oh yes. You're so very close to the end now, you absolutely have to finish it.

It would be fascinating to know what conversations were going on behind-the-scenes in the producers' office and the writers' room around this time.

You're right of course. But I had a big dose of Fiona Fatigue in the latter part of the series, so my tolerance was fairly low.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,138

Wayne has stolen a brainstorm session from the writers' room and uses it for his own devious plotting.
    upload_2019-12-28_19-19-34.png
    The whole thing just screams "Eric Cartman".

However, the situation is not that black and white. There are a few mentions of Wayne and Patricia's past, and we know Alison is lying.
    Of course, Alison is not responsible for everything Wayne has done, and Wayne will always justify his actions and blame someone else (then again, so did Patricia - over and over again).
    But there is some truth in it that Patricia has helped creating this monster.
    And now she's laughing at the weakness of this monster. Humiliating, taunting, saying the worst things possible.
    Not that he doesn't deserve it, but her constant smugness, far worse than Patricia ever did, makes it hard for me to feel sorry for her, knowing that Wayne is faking his weakness and is in fact carrying out his post-Tick-debacle threat to Alison: I give you my word that, from now on, I won't rest until you're destroyed!
    And then there's her relentless meddling in Charlie and Todd's relationship, allegedly to protect her friend from financial and emotional harm - but of course she's only thinking of The Number One.

Also, one of Wayne's schemes involves Todd in white tanga briefs, and that's another thumbs up from me.

Craig is doing fine as the lovable guy we want him to be in his scenes with Beryl, Gordon and Fiona, and even his scenes with Andy can be somewhat amusing.
    He's found his father and half-brother but I'm not sure if there's enough time to tell that story.
    But when he and Andy team up with the cocky Greg Hudson it becomes an irritating boyband.
    upload_2019-12-28_20-1-44.png
    It's Saturday night and Greg decides to call one of the girls he's met since he's arrived in Sydney.
    I couldn't help but seeing a potential gang rape here - but none of the girls are available so…

There appears to be a new love triangle in development - Wayne, Sarah and Michael - and this time Wayne plays "hard to get", which makes him the more interesting guy.
    So, basically, Sarah is a blond Katie O'Brien.
    Caroline is pregnant but she doesn't want to see Doug anymore. Could Bill Sanders be the perfect replacement? Or is too late for...everything?:yikey:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,138
    upload_2019-12-29_5-10-37.png

I...I...later. Just can't, not right now.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,138

I had planned to finish it last night, but the addictiveness of the episodes made it so much easier for me, despite the physical strain caused by this 22 eps mini-marathon.
    I admit, a sense of melancholy and excitement about the end of this epic soap journey may have influenced my viewing experience, but even from an unbiased point of view I thought it felt like proper soap.
    Sure, it wasn't completely without schmaltz e.g. Gordon, Beryl and Robert's happy family scene - because we already know it's going to be a happy ending for them - and the "history repeat" in the mansion probably looked better when I watched it the first time.
    Surprisingly, my favourite happy ending was Doug & Caroline.

The abortion/not-abortion was presented in a very emotionally manipulative way: Beryl's letter, and Caroline's obligatory visit to a children's playground.
    But the lack of emphasis on the possibility of Down's syndrome actually made it stronger - albeit unintentionally, because it seems more like a plot device to bring Doug and Caroline together.
    If he could accept this then she needed no more convincing.

I have witnessed quite a few "I'll destroy you!" threads in soapy context, but it really happens in Sons & Daughters.
    You. are. finished. So says Wayne Hamilton to his ex-stepmother.
    In another scene Alison tells him "I'm gonna make you sorry you were ever born!"
    Wayne's reply "Now that's very 50s B-movie" sort of echoes Gary Ewing's "Come on Abby, this isn't 1956".

Dammit. A Debbie jump-scare. Didn't see that one coming. I had almost forgotten about that hysterical voice.
    Andy Greene's soapy fate is that of a single dad, I thought it was sweet.

So, the only unsolved business is the ramification of Susan's death. I think I expected it to happen, or hoped it would happen, and yet I was surprised when it happened.
    I can imagine what will happen to Wayne, but Wayne also knows that it was Alison who lured Susan to Sydney - and Dural.
    You could say that Alison is partially-indirectly responsible for Susan's death.

I got a little teary when they showed the B&W stills in the end credits, and it's a strange thought that I'm not going to watch Sons & Daughters today. Or tomorrow.
    On the other hand, I am now officially the second participant in our future Sons & Daughters Top 10. It's definitely something to look forward to.

Lastly, I want to thank @James from London for helping out after the YT uploads were taken down. A blessing in disguise, as it turned out, because now I could watch the episodes in their original format.
    More importantly, the S&D convoy has made this most-wanted rewatch a very soapchat-interactive experience.
    Also ta! @Mel O'Kalikimaka who masterfully AlisonCarred me into watching those first episodes (despite your claims that you have nothing to do with it:D)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,876
    Good Lord, Willie. You are truly a hardcore soap viewer. :box:

Yep. I'm surprised.

Oh goodness, yes. I think I wrote volumes on the blatant stance taken at the time.

Yes, that is a great point.

And also a line from Sammy Jo to Krystle "I heard that line on TV recently. A very old movie." Or words to that effect.

It is, isn't it? Another surprise.

I enjoyed the unsolved-ness of it. It continues to resonate and fascinate in a way that Beryl and Gordon simply don't.

Isn't it just the perfect soap ending? And doesn't it make all those hundreds of hours' viewing - and even more posting about viewing - worth the investment?!

I can't wait. Though I must confess some of those plots and characters are already dimming for me.

Hear, hear!

Chin Chin, Willie.
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on completing your S&D journey. But what am I going to do without your regular insights into our favourite characters?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,138
    Which I'm about to read right now.
    It certainly does.
    A few days ago I had to go back 10 pages to quote parts of your post, and I read one of my own comments regarding the death of a certain character. I honestly couldn't remember who he was. But then again, it happened in the wicked & wild season 4.
    I hope the others who are still watching will keep the thread alive. Personally, I'd love to complete the bitch-slap archive, but that's not possible without the YT videos.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,876
    I love that this thread is full of wormholes, and how different eras of the series run alongside each other on the same page.

Same here, and I'm sure they will.

That's a shame, as it was such a fun way to recap them. But clearly none of us are magicians (if we were, the entire series would be out on blu ray, with a cast commentary for all 972 episodes).

9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,138
    I think that was another (and maybe less lovable) side of Beryl. And I enjoyed Lynne silently rebelling against it.
    She loved the wealth, but in the S&D world that wealth often proved to be fluctuating fortunes. It was everything or nothing, and she had told Doug that she wanted stability (even if that means a less glamorous lifestyle, I guess).
    When Susan was staying with them I got the feeling that Caroline and Doug were becoming the new "Beryl and David".
    Yes, exactly - the image. The argument itself was the same whimsical stuff that I never liked, but I'm a sucker for camera-pans-out-in-goodbye-scenes.
    I have been thinking about it today, and I decided that it wasn't a good idea.
    Come to think of it, the cover of the Pat The Rat DVD doesn't make sense since there's no official "Patricia" in the picture.
    Absolutely.
    I also liked that moment when she stopped Wayne and Charlie from driving the car. I found it so awkward and desperate and humiliating.
    Me too!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Congratulations Willie! Way to go!! I think we should start a top list soon otherwise you two might forget and the rest of us will take ages to catch up lol ;-)
    I might of missed it, but I was looking forward to your writing about the exploding vacuum cleaner scene?? Did you laugh?

• Like Like x 2