1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JingeBellsROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,485
    Medals:
    Well, I'm assuming it's the front page because it's got the newspaper logo (The Herald) on it, which makes it's a really odd-shaped paper. And then the headline is above the title of the paper, which is also kind of weird ... but maybe I've got it wrong and it isn't the front page but a sort of middle page spread, with the name of the newspaper just there for some reason. Hmm, I'm not sure now ... Maybe they just do these things differently Down Under.

2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    8B9AF8E6-DD73-43DB-9058-571809F1CD00.jpeg 948CD6A9-7609-40E8-9460-5CE0170429CF.jpeg 60959FCE-C277-46CD-AC6F-5CC0B4B700CD.jpeg
    Sorry I wasn’t clear. I watched every episode from the beginning from when it started here in Feb 86 but by then most of the best press was over. So I had a mission on my hands to try and find all these magazines secondhand :)
    Leila looks fab, such fun!
    I can’t wait for the voting poll for this show on here. Exciting! Can’t wait! Lol
    Best actress
    1. Rowena Wallace
    2. Kim Lewis
    3. Leila Hayes
    4. Cornelia Francis
    5. Anne Haddy
    521624D1-F4CD-4349-B236-BE35100560FA.jpeg 5342F75B-5B37-44FC-A394-C843A8F5547D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    I agree it's a very shoddy layout. I was looking for mistakes in the text, like that other strange front page news article (too spoilerish to post it right now).
    Come to think of it, I find it odd that it took the NZ tv channel so long to air this popular show. I think Europe was only a year behind the Australian broadcasts.
    Or was it also possible to watch Australian TV?
    Restrain yourself, VF3!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Oh. How tragically true.

That's understandable. But nope. It's quite juicy.

Oh.. tip of the iceberg.

I agree. It's been great to be able to read these articles.

You've put so much work into your collection. It truly is impressive.

Ha ha. While Lynn drove me to distraction, Antonia seems like a really sweet person. But in a good way.

Ah. I thought you meant the actual font of the headline, which to my eyess does look a little variable in terms of width/size. Let's face it, it's just all round weird.

It crossed my mind, like Willie, that '86 seems quite late considering Australia and NZ are next door neighbours.

My ITV region began airing S&D about two and a half years after it began in Australia, and that gap got bigger as the years went on. The final episode first aired some three and a half years after it was first broadcast in Oz.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    C7D606E8-E906-4AE8-8EB3-A8EFBEEE0A64.jpeg 2B9D8465-6E9C-4249-95D0-C6363FD01B00.jpeg 1BDBFEBB-B4DF-41CE-8B33-35EB26342F05.jpeg

Thank you for your lovely comments :) Glad the clippings are helpful

Antonia does seem really sweet. I remember the June 1988 TVNZ 24 hour Telethon. I’d just gone to Australia for the first time (where I met Abigail). TVNZ advertised previously the big stars from overseas coming including Leeza Gibbons and Corries Chris Quentin (where they met and soon after married). But when I returned just in time for the Telethon, I discovered on live tv that Antonia AND Kim were in Hamilton (a city in the north island)!! I had no idea they were coming. I would’ve gone there instead! I was rather devastated at the time. I had to make do with seeing nanosecond clips of them on telly. So disappointing

TVNZ was behind with a lot of shows. Dallas and Dynasty often seasons started in February when the cliffhangers were in May in the States so we often knew (but not always) the spoiled stories. Corrie at one point was about 2-3 years behind and they eventually played catch up episodes to get us closer. As NZ only had two channels (until Nov ‘89 when it got a third). We had no access to Aussie tv. Neighbours didn’t begin here until July ‘88, a month after Kylie had left! But there wasn’t the internet to view clips. Even now with Britain’s got talent it plays here once a week?! Ridiculous!! People watch it on you tube and know the winner months before we see it. It’s just bizarre in this day and age?!

Funnily though they played S&D here every week night so the whole lot had been shown and ended by Dec ‘89

Here is Sons and Daughters only NZ cover (1987). Rima, Ilona, Mark Ferguson and Lisa Crittenden were all on covers here later as they are kiwis and were on NZ shows

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    AA163E8D-7B73-46BA-80A9-AB1FA1FA9709.jpeg 635E46DA-BED6-4F8E-893F-8F674EFCCBF0.jpeg 7B40B3EE-D27F-408C-9CD6-34951F2334F1.jpeg A131F177-1B50-4CB2-82E5-B61B7998FFE7.jpeg
    All from Aussie TV Week (the best mag!!) 17 April ‘82 - enjoy!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    Oh my! If these season premiere episodes are anything to go by then it could return to season 3 quality. It was a very satisfying aftermath, mostly thanks to Belinda Giblin's performance - and then that unexpected dramatic moment!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    There’s someone in here you like Willie ;-)
    And fantastic shot of three of the leading ladies. They look like the get on like a house on fire :)
    73DC4B03-0A4E-4F75-A3A3-347D470CBD2D.jpeg DB008CD8-E653-4E3A-AD12-70CB8E9BCF30.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    These are great.

Brian Blain has a gift for understatement: "A subtle innuendo of incest" indeed.

It's gorgeous. They all look really close and I especially love how natural Cornie looks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Glad you're enjoying it so far, Willie.

• Like Like x 1
  11. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,485
    Medals:
    Yes, now you point it out, it's obvious. Without Gordy or any of his substitute mums around, Wayne is free to be a grownup villain for once.

Ha!

I'm not sure if it's me being a bit slow, but I didn't even realise Kevin had actually slept with Amanda until some time afterwards. Hopefully, he made more of an impression on her.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    I wonder who came up with that nickname, the writers or Ian Rawlings.
    There's not really a purpose or reason, it's neither friendly nor sarcastic.
    He doesn't use it when he's talking to Gordon, only when he's talking about Gordon. I like it, it's funny.

• Like Like x 1
  13. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,485
    Medals:
    There's something a little disrespectful about it. I'm sure Gordy would prefer to be called 'Father' at all times.(I think Wayne does call him it to his face sometimes - when he's being particularly insolent.) I like it too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    Yes, maybe at first. Their relationship wasn't the very best when the story began.
    Sometimes I find him surprisingly cool.
    If there's one person who'd object to such an inferior nickname it would be butter-wouldn't-melt-in-her-mouth-Barbara.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    7E2DE7E3-3441-4340-8A56-2EB4B5590F23.jpeg
    This is so cute. Check out the little pic of Cornelia. She looks fantastic! Enjoy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Thanks. It's great to see the cast in a different style. That little group picture would make such a great poster.

Interesting that it was Judy Nunn who co-produced the entire event. Between this, the acting and being a best selling novelist it's clear she's filled with drive and energy. And she looks darned good here as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:

I didn't remember this at all, and it wasn't clear to me if she died right there and then.
    I assumed that they only wanted me to believe that she had died, so imagine my shock when they confirmed her death a while later (and without any fanfare).

David blames Alison for Leigh's death and I don't think he has hated her that much before.
    Apart from the this situation, the mourning scenes are pretty low-key but Leigh's not wiped off altogether, and I'm not sure how intentional this was but it kind of felt as if they allowed the viewers to deal with the situation themselves.

Despite this shocking and tragic start of the season there's something about these episodes that feels different from season 4.
    It's less frenetic, even the scenes seem longer and there's more room for non-plotsy character scenes. Of course I have no idea how long this is going to last.
    But I do wonder if season four's roller coaster approach was meant to compensate for Rowena Wallace's departure, as in "make sure the viewer doesn't have time to think about it".
    Bombs, fires, crashes, kidnappings - whatever it takes to bedazzle us.

I agree, and I also like the idea that she is a person of importance as it adds a sense of locale to the S&D universe (eventhough she visited Bella in Melbourne, and as far as I know Fiona's territory is Sydney).
    It reminds me of Allison MacKenzie's fate in Peyton Place 1985 (the reunion movie). I think I prefer the mystery.
    But I assumed she had died shortly after she had stumbled upon Bill Ashley's scheme at Woombai.

Abigail's performance never fails to surprise me. Sometimes it's spot on and sometimes it's just absolutely...not. I never know what to expect!
    And this brings the story back to a very familiar set-up. Barbara is appalled by James' decision and Wayne throws a few hissy fits.
    Nevertheless, the first battles are between Alison and Gordon and it all looks very exciting, but then she changes her mind and plans a different tactic to get what she wants.
    A freeze frame grin is supposed to excite the viewer about Alison's soon-to-be-revealed-scheme but to me this seems unnecessary because there already was something very exciting going on: she demanded an impartial manager for Woombai, which means that Alan Pascoe was going to be fired.

I remember "and to hell with the consequences!"

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    How nice that you can get surprised by such a significant event.

I agree. It feels more meaningful. Glad you're enjoying this new pacing.

I'd guess you're right and it was certainly a factor. Though the nature of a series like this is to gain steam and get a little wilder as time goes on so it could have been a little of that too.

I'd agree with this as well. And Allison MacKenzie's fate remains a mystery for me as I never got round to watching that reunion.

I'd agree. I've been hugely impressed by some nuances and subtleties I'd completely forgotten (or not noticed before) in her performance. But other times it's almost comedic.

Funnily enough, Judy Nunn's character spoke those exact words in an episode of Home and Away I watched this evening. To which the series' prissy Janice type retorted: "Oh Ailsa. You're so brazen sometimes."

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    How very intriguing! I wonder what it's all about.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Oh... it's tempting to say you'll have to watch it to find out.

But as I'm a big softie, I'll tell you: She was persuading her soon-to-be sister-in-law to throw caution to the wind and ask someone out on a date.

• Like Like x 1