Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,859
    Medals:

Never thought I would say this, but I'm beginning to think that season 3 is the best one so far. It's messy, very messy, and it's doing weird things to brains - but in way that great soap has to do. The plotting is tight, twisty and extremely addictive, and neatly counterbalanced by heartrending drama.

The end of the Morrell marriage brings out the beast in Patricia. Like a wounded lioness she lashes out at everything and everyone because they all have to pay for what they have done to her (!!).
    Robin has a change of heart about the blackmail and tells Wayne and Amanda that they're off the hook, but that's not at all how Patricia sees it.
    She uses the threat of Robin's soon-to-be-released-from-prison vengeful wife to blackmail him into reinstating their original blackmail scheme!
    I have to admit, I got some sadistic pleasure out of it - also because I still haven't forgotten how Wayne and Amanda got themselves in that mess in the first place.

Patricia has moved back into the Morrell mansion, and it looks like a modern version of Hansel & Gretel and the wicked witch.
    But then...hurrah! A fabulous staircase moment!
    [​IMG]
    Wayne and Amanda decide to escape from the clutches of the court and justice and start a new life where no-one can find them.
    They don't bother with details like new identities or anything like that, oh no, they're far too busy starring in their typical eighties sightseeing montage.

It's interesting to know that photoshopping was invented by the creators of Sons & Daughters.
    The very idea of the photographer sneaking into Gordon's bedroom to make pictures of him while he's asleep is downright hilarious. I just couldn't stop laughing.

Big drama at the Palmers when Beryl confronts David with his infidelity.
    Now, it's very easy to say that David is the bad guy in this scenario because Beryl is still the same lovely Beryl. But she's not my wife.
    He didn't marry a charity tycoon, he married a housewife. What Beryl does is not just "doing something" outside the house, her wealth really changes the dynamics of the Palmer household.
    His reason may seem painfully chauvinist and old-fashioned, but a reason nonetheless. Besides, it's his story, his reasons - not mine.
    The fact that he immediately replaces her with Margaret, the wannabe-Beryl, makes it easier to interpret this as a cut and dried adultery storyline. But I think it's much more than that.

Either way, David moves out and Beryl goes to spend some time with her parents. A few days later, Beryl's kitchen looks like a post-Apocalypse nightmare.
    Andy helps John with the ironing. Maybe I'm going to like him after all.
    John is sitting in the living room, eating an orange. I hoped nothing would happen and we could just watch him eating the whole orange. So...slow. Like Jill.
    Because sometimes poignancy is in the nothingness of the scene.

But then another thing happens! A plane crash, and it turns everything upside down.
    Tom Richards gives a great performance of someone who's in shock after an accident. Shock doesn't always result in hysterical behaviour, sometimes it just looks almost normal.

My favourite part of all this is how it affects the relationship between David and Doug, and they have some great scenes together.
    From "You're a poor excuse for a man, David Palmer" to "Let me know how it all works out, son".

Matt Kennedy performs another shock-therapy: Dee Morrell's video will. Patricia succumbs. It's f**king brilliant.

It's time for Tony to exit, I'm going to miss him. Not as much as Rob and Angela, but more than Kevin and Lynn.

David proposes to the severly injured Margaret. I couldn't hold back my tears anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,859
    Medals:

Patricia's been shipped off to the funny farm, and everyone in SoapLand Downunder gets a moment to relax.
    Baby F is just as adorable as Plan C and Plan D, but the situation with Jill and Terry remains uncomfortable.

Why Robin is still living in the apartment is a mystery to me, is he still PR-ing Lisa Cook's fashion show at Woombai?
    Anyway, Kathleen shows up and of course she stays.
    The writing is getting a little unbalanced and bizarre at this point.
    Within the time span of two episodes, Robin's feelings towards Kathleen changes from fear to anger to disinterest to concern to support to admiration to annoyance.

Robin tells Jill how he really feels about her, she says "...ooh, I don't know"...and then kisses him back. It's like watching a grand piano falling out of the sky.
    But the triangle is now a fact, so, mission accomplished I suppose.

Heather O'Brien, with her perfect, 1950s housewife-look, uses her foot to turn off the television. There is something inappropriate and incredibly sexy about it.
    In the very next scene, uncle Jim is on all fours on Beryl's doorstep, his behind facing the camera.
    There goes the neighbourhood!

Andy also gets involved with a funny farm, but we don't get the opportunity to discover for ourselves what it's all about.
    I'm a sucker for shady cult & philosophy stories, but it looks like they're going straight for the action part.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,859
    Medals:

Two characters need to be rescued, and there's something logic-defying about both situations, but for very different reasons.

Thanks! I thought I recognized the soft-spoken, husky voice but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
    I'm not sure if she wants Robin back to love him or to destroy him, and at this point it doesn't really matter anymore because Robin isn't connected to anyone (Lisa Cook, maybe?)
    But she's very watchable so I wouldn't mind finding out.

In retrospect, Wayne's scheme on how to use Kathleen to drive Jill away from the apartment seems outrageously convoluted and time-consuming.
    Kathleen knows how to be effective, Jill didn't even bother to pack her things.
    And since that was the plan all along, and since I don't think there were serious plans to develop a Jill/Robin romance, it almost feels as if it hasn't happened at all.
    It could have been Margaret or Patricia's dream.

Ha! But they haven't opened the third letter yet. He might just as well re-resurrect off-screen ("Sorry about that second letter, Jill. Love, Brian").
    Well, the Palmer set looks kinda empty so I guess it was a matter of logistics.

I wonder how many characters haven't been on every S&D set yet (apart from the O'Briens, of course). Margaret even suggests that Patricia moves in with David. Now I ask you!
    The way Barbara describes the how's & why's feels a bit infotainment-ish. Was this a thing at that time? The Bagwan became a hot issue in the late 70s and early 80s, but (here) that had more to do with the fact that some Dutch celebrities had converted to the controversial religion. They didn't disappear or anything like that.

In essence, it could have happened to any S&D character, but the "need" to rescue Andy Greene requires a lot of emotional investment, and I'm feeling pretty unconfident about the interest.
    It doesn't really help that we never saw Andy suffer after his mother had died, and how he ended up with them in the first place. We don't see them (apart from a bunch of school kids) or what they are doing, or why.
    It's not a bad idea at all, but they have made no effort whatsoever to make this storyline the tiniest bit suspenseful.

Well at least that was funny.

New Hairdo Alert!

It must have felt like a real gamble to write an entire new family into the series, also because it's much more difficult to move these characters around.
    They've been given a fair amount of emotional baggage in order to keep them operating on their own for a while, and even in my last viewed episode a piece of yet-to-be-explored-history
    pops up during a brother and sister argument.
    Jim O'Brien comes across as a ladies' man, that could be really interesting especially if some those ladies are sworn enemies.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,295
    Medals:
    Ooh. I hadn't even considered the "destroy" possibility. Although I get the impression with Kathleen that they're one and the same thing.

:D

As far as memory serves I don't think Amanda has been to Beryl's yet. But I could be wrong about that. Maybe she went to visit Lynn and I've tuned it out.

They really played up the angle that Barbara felt overly responsible for Andy because of the Roland Armstrong connection, and because of Helen's death. I think it seemed a little out of character for her.

It was very similar to soap's other Pat...

[​IMG]

Once seen, I couldn't unsee it.

Couldn't it just? :cool1

5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,295
    Medals:
    Dear God. The S&D Channel's videos have vanished again.

[​IMG]

6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,295
    Medals:

Karen Fox is all over the series at the moment. Scheming, interfering and generally just making her presence felt. She’s joined forces with Wayne with some bonking on the side. Jill has inexplicably joined Karen’s high flying top end company on the strength of her experience covering the front desk at Woombai.

It seems the writers wanted to move right onto some adversity between Karen and the newly returned Patricia. It’s been fun in a middle years Dynasty barge-into-your-office/prickly-phone-call kind of way, with lots of soapy superlatives thrown around.

Patricia on Karen:
    Personally, though, I’d have preferred more exploration of the Irene/Karen dynamic first. Karen’s got her fingers in so many pies that she’s seeming almost super-villainous. I want to see her humanity. We’re touching on it in Karen’s relationship with Todd, which has a WASP-y kind of affection to it. She badly needs more of this to keep her the right side of caricature.

It is wonderful to see Patricia back. It strikes me that she’s kind of S&D’s Elsie Tanner, leaving the series dramatically for periods of time before returning with new colours. This time round there’s a new kind of vulnerability to her. It’s different to her post-breakdown(s) vulnerability. She seems almost broken in some ways after her experiences with Matt.

Perhaps Rowena Wallace’s own exhaustion is being utilised in her performance, adding to Patricia’s character rather than being a hindrance. It’s no secret that she was experiencing burn out by this time and she does seem to have lost a little weight.

Whatever the case, the almost frail air to Pat means that it’s more surprising when she pulls the rug out from under her enemies. Such as coming to dinner with Karen, Gordon and Barbara at her most charming, and choosing just the right moment to drop that her new rival company had beaten Karen’s to a major new account.

Barbara was killing me in #472. Laughing out loud at Patricia outFoxing Karen and struggling to regain her composure when Karen glared at her. And then all that bike stuff. Describing motorbikes as being “only like a horse with a motor”. Climbing on one in the showroom and making raspberry sounds. It’s almost like a brain virus storyline. The whole motorbike storyline was ridiculous. It’s pure filler with all the subtlety of Adam West’s Batman series. But Cornelia Frances threw herself into it with such gusto the fun rippled out to me. Please, though, I hope we get some meaty Barb scenes soon rather than just playing wacky Auntie to Andy.

Meanwhile, Patricia is working side by side with Luke Carlyle and Mike O’Brien, little realising this is exactly what Luke’s father Roger had planned all along. All the pieces are in place for one of the series’ key storylines.

Beryl and David were on again. Then off again after Patricia said a couple of sentences to David. Leila Hayes has been great That great phone scene where David coldly said to go ahead with the divorce and Beryl put on a brave face (well, voice). Then coming off the phone to find Leanne in a pink elephant costume and waving her off with a laugh that then turned to tears. With just a little glance at her wedding ring. Perfect!

Speaking of Leanne: I don’t remember her. At all. The introduction to her character felt very temporary. I expected to dislike this “Beryl fosters a homeless kid” storyline, but she’s turning out to be very likeable and has good chemistry with others. Much like a female Tony Parker. There’s a hint of the Bobby Simpson to her (even the fostering premise is very Home And Away… another reason why H&A could be considered S&D’s spiritual successor on The 7 Network). Leanne’s even given new interest to Jeff’s alcoholism storyline (S&D and social issues aren’t a good mix. They invariably feel too shallow, transient and ill-informed to hold water. At least this storyline isn’t as laughably half-hearted and tacky as Lynn’s three episode anorexia nervosa storyline).

Oh Heather. The cardinal rule of soap is that you never say how glad you are things are going well at last. It’s just asking to be told that your daughter wants to marry an imprisoned rapist and your son is a light-fingered alcoholic.

It’s good to see Terry back, even if prison scenes always feel like a spin-off. Or a crossover with PCBH. After the revelation about Terry’s chest, he now has no facial hair. I wonder how Willie feels about this turn of events? Personally I think he looks great.

The Irene and Todd storyline is enjoyable. The actor playing Todd is very likeable, swinging between arrogant and flippant and vulnerable and tearful. There was a beautiful moment in which they spoke intimately and he admitted he was scared that I found very moving. It’s struck me that he looks like the one from Robson & Jerome that isn’t Robson.

And speaking of people who look like people, Roger Carlyle has long reminded me of David Hunter from Crossroads. With a touch of the Ian McKellens.

Roger is in cahoots with Karen Fox. They've just said something dramatically soapy. And that’s as far as I’ve been able to watch. We all need to send out good vibes for the return of the S&D channel very soon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,480
    Medals:
    Has the Sons and Daughters channel suddenly vanished??? All the episodes I've watched are now missing from my history and I can't find any trace of the channel anywhere. What's going on?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,859
    Medals:
    No, it's still there. I always save my next-to-watch episode in my Favourites List, and the one I was going to watch today is marked as "private", not "deleted".
    I had hoped the uploader would communicate the reason and also an indication of the time these videos will be unavailable, like he did a few months ago.
    You can check here for updates:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOaAsEY-PlDMGYjQMAZZP_w/community?disable_polymer=1

9. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,480
    Medals:
    Ok, I've gone to the YT channel via your link and there are no videos or playlists anymore?

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,859
    Medals:
    I believe that's what happened last time, too. After all, if they were still there for us to see then we could watch them.
    But I honestly don't know if the videos have been removed altogether, or simply set to "private" for whatever reason (holiday, perhaps? I guess some uploaders prefer to oversee what's going with their channels).

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,859
    Medals:
    The silence is deafening, both on YouTube and here in this thread.

I'm not handling this very well, I'm afraid. Sure, there are a million other things to do and to watch, but I just can't enjoy any of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,480
    Medals:
    Me either. My addiction has gotten quite serious.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,388
    Medals:
    Thoughts and prayers.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,295
    Medals:
    The sole remaining video on the S&D channel led me to peek at the petition to get the series released on DVD (seems there's not huge demand for it, as it's been running for two years and has just over 300 of the 500 signature target).

In the section where people give reasons for signing, one in particular caught my eye. Beryl would be very proud of young Kev, I think.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,388
    Medals:
    The boy always knew how to put pen to paper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,859
    Medals:
    We had joy, we had fun, we had S&D on YouTube...

After two years:brick:….maybe I should take a long break from SC too, as everything here reminds of this immense tragedy, and I need time to grieve.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 4
  17. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +181
    It's not too late - we need to think like Patricia. Plot deviously... There must be someone we can sleep with, blackmail, or burn some letter that gets them sent to jail.......

Or perhaps if we just message the uploader and get them to post them privately via facebook? (It worked with Knots for a while....?)

Like you all I am suffering severe withdrawal symptoms. Is there a support group that can help us?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,388
    Medals:
    Oh no! Oh, I'm so sorry! That truly sucks.

Of course, there are bootleg DVDs available, like the ones I bought ten years ago, but they're not cheap (although not that astronomical either, all things considered), and I can understand people not wanting to fork out for the whole thing when you're already halfway through the series.

• Like Like x 2
  19. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,388
    Medals:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,791
    Medals:
    Absolutely gutted. I had been avoiding this thread as I didn't want spoilers but had been doing an episode almost every night. I had made it episode 120-something and was just loving how it was all going with Patricia coming into the money and her scheming. I liked the addition of tall and lovely Steven too. I suppose it was all too good to be true. I had no plans tonight and was genuinely excited to have a S&D binge tonight. :(

I guess it's back to Sunset Beach for me, and then in a few weeks I will be back in Collinsport for Dark Shadows.

It was fun while it lasted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1