1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JingeBellsROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    Oh my goodness. The first half of Episode #248 was a tour de force. Someone finally ranted at the dysfunction and selfishness. It was pretty bloody epic and I wanted to stand up and cheer.

Speaking of accents, #248 also had a fabulous (and I think genuine) South Wales accent. For a moment I thought it was Ruth Jones. Or Gladys Pugh.

I'm infatuated and hope we see the Welsh comedy neighbour again. Brian's occasional slip aside, this is only the second Welsh accent I can think of in Aussie soaps after 96's Councillor Alderman Mrs Bullock.

(^OK - she doesn't actually speak here, but I don't need much of an excuse to post this scene).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,214
    Medals:

And that's toddler #2 that's been bumped off. Not that it should interfere with Patricia's plans, of course.
    Things are getting gloriously nasty at the Healeys, with or without the help from our beloved villainess.
    Dark clouds are hanging over Woombai as well as the animosity between Paul and Patricia intensifies. Margaret, who has discovered that she's been strung along, is calculating her options - and somehow this creates a bond between her and the viewer.

Melbourne takes the #1 spot for shocking changes: David Palmer has dyed his hair. I know, I know, it was a very 80s thing to do but still...David, of all people?
    Too bad that Angela and the creepy kid storyline has been nipped in the bud, but he's gone now so, whatever.

How I hate to call it a night, everything's so very exciting right now!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    Yup. Even Jaws stopped at one.

And she was so cute as well.

Doesn't it just.

I didn't really feel this storyline, and I've realised why. It wasn't organic and incestuous enough for this series. Everything on S&D is about things, people and events being connected and related in multiple different ways. The creepy kid was really just an external force who didn't have all these levels of connection with people. This "story of the week" plot-driven stuff works for The Young Doctors or Neighbours. But his behaviour didn't ripple out to affect enough characters to be truly effective on this series.

And it gets even more so!! It feels very lean at the moment. There's not a wasted moment. No filler. No dead wood. And everything means something.

The last episodes I've watched have introduced some of the soapiest of clichés and it's all to the good.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    I'm curious to know how @Richard Channing's viewing is going.

Are you still watching, and what point have you reached now?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    #251 had such a great example of the ping pong bitch slap. It looked and sounded pretty authentic too. Could there be some method acting going on?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,214
    Medals:

That was some good drama, with the fire and all that. Jill's mother's day gift for Fiona took me by surprise. Big time.

I'd be so rooting for Kevin and Peter as a romantic couple, but I know that's not going to happen. Oh well, at least the chemistry is there - not just because they're two guys, but because of the circumstances and...stuff.

Patricia and Wayne's "waterproof" schemes and little charades can be quite cheesy sometimes, but it does bring out the "Caress Morell" in Margaret Dunne.
    Margaret is very, very greedy, and personally I find that more interesting than whatever it is that Patricia has in store for Martin. Nothing good, that's obvious.
    The sister-feud itself is exhilarating, Richard Channing is going to love all the bitchery.

"Speaking of bridges, I gather you burned a few".
    Sometimes it feels as if the actors are having a ball with it, and I don't object to that at all.

The Hamilton mansion almost looks like Central Station, according to Wayne.
    Indeed, I have no idea why Bert and Brian had to follow Fiona to the city, or at least I would expect Bert to have a place of his own.
    Then Fiona & Company move into the mansion, and then it gets waaayyyy off-topic when the relatives of the friend of Fiona are thrown into the mix.
    I understand why Brian and Jill have to be there, they're part of the plot development.

It was a bit embarrassing to see David Palmer being floored by Martin Healy - well I guess these things happens when you dye your hair.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Blizzard Channing

Blizzard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,587
    Medals:
    Oh yes, I'm still on a steady diet of S&D every night. I'm at episode 140. I must say I'm pretty impressed with the plotting and the pacing on the show. There's always enough going on to keep you engaged, and they are pretty good at having things simmering in the background for when the time is right. What kind of drama is going to go down at Woombai now that Fiona is at the helm? And we haven't scratched the surface yet of the power plays at Ramburg that will inevitably ensue.

I'm continually impressed with how Patricia goes about things, and I think the writing for her is pretty clever, and consequently so is she. I'm surprised by Beryl's trajectory, maybe not leaving David, although that was a surprise, but the way she's kind of left her family too. I know we don't know her that well yet, but still, she didn't seem the type to be missing out on the birth of her first grandchild etc. And now she's going on a date with Hal Mason! Speaking of him, I'm quite enjoying the few triangles that are going on at the moment. Which reminds me, Johnny hasn't been without a love interest since the show began. He went straight from Jill to Angela, to Prue, back to Jill and then onto Di, without even stopping to catch a breath!

I'm also quite enjoying the Rob/Angela/Paul triangle. I wasn't that keen on Paul in the beginning. A bit too peppy. But I started to like him more when he arrived at the Hamiltons and basically blackmailed Patricia into letting him stay by telling her he knew about her affair with David. Patricia's meddling to break them up has been fun but now that he's onto her I'm hoping to see some more of that fighting spirit. Paul is a wonderful character. I love his softly spoken voice and although he's certainly sweet he does seem kinda ballsy too, which I'm sure will come in handy when things really get cooking at Ramburg.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with you @Mel O'Drama when it comes to Susan and Lynn. If they ran away together tomorrow I'd be fine with it.

Lastly, am I the only one that thinks Beryl's mum looks like and owl?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,214
    Medals:
    And that's just the foreplay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    :yep:

Spot on. The pacing is great. The writers really have the knack of having lots happening without giving the audience burnout. It can feel deceptively slow, but in a good way.

It did seem very out of character for her, but I suppose that was the point.

Or even to take some penicillin.

Glad to hear it. There's goodness to come.

This, too, is good to hear. Paul has emerged as a character who I find quite fascinating.

It can be arranged, @Richard Channing. We just need to come up with a Patricia-esque scheme that makes it seem like their own idea.

Nope.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:

Ha. The same thing crossed my mind too. They'd make a nice couple. Can you imagine what Lynn's dad would have to say about it?!

Isn't he just?!

Oh god, yes.

11. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    Incidentally, Brett Climo has his own fansite. And it's run by one of @Willie Oleson's compatriots.

I found this an interesting interview...

http://www.brettclimo.nl/About_Brett.html

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:

The double-crossings, framings, murder accusations, guilty secrets and blackmail have gone into overdrive. It's marvellous.

They had fun with the Grace Bros. Removals sponsorship in #256. Branded packing boxes all over ********'s place and a ruddy great lorry with a logo on parked outside. It's reminded me how good it is to see the full end credits. They were frequently cut short when I watched them on UK TV in the Eighties. I'd always assumed it was for time, but read in more recent years that it was because of the sponsorship placement at the end. The Grace Bros. name has always made me smile. Can anyone see it without thinking of Mrs. Slocombe?

That pretty pink strapless wedding dress is ingrained in my mind from the book cover. Although it looks even less glamorous in the actual series due to the el cheapo non-staging of the wedding. Though that feels appropriate here, with the marriage being one of convenience. Or is it?

We did at least get to see the outside of a church for a service held in #257. And a very cute church it was. It looked like it was made out of Lego. But who wears ochre yellow to a funeral? Someone who's barely managing to conceal their pleasure, I suppose.

Patricia has to be admired for her capacity to play mental chess and keep all the pieces where she wants them. Following through on her promises, but always on her terms, like a cat letting a mouse go in order to catch it again.
    Poor Margaret.
    Poor David.

Even looking for a job has given Patricia some great innuendo-laden dialogue:
    Kevin has turned all Hardy Boys and is doing some detecting. Margaret didn't count on David's son having a background in journalism, did she?! And there's always, always a frisson to any Kevin/Patricia scene. It's one of the most fascinating relationships on the show.

Meanwhile John has become one of the series' less sympathetic characters on his return. He's got a new assertiveness to him, which should be interesting. But it turns out that the naivety is an essential part of his character and he's quite unlikeable without it. The main reason is that it seems to highlight the limitations to Peter Phelps's acting range. New John shouts. A lot. And it's no fun to watch as a viewer. Not, sadly, in an uncomfortable, challenging type of way. It's just a little irritating and tedious. It's also taken away the complexity of the triangle with Jill and Brian. I felt more concern for John's feelings when he was off-screen.

If anyone had any doubts that country air is good for full and lustrous hair, they only have to look at Rosie. It's wonderful to have her back and the relationship between Rosie and Fi is really working for me. The small details are wonderful. The dishwasher drama may be over, but there's still this:

Rosie (looking forlornly at her knitting)
    Fiona (looking forlornly up from her hand-held video game)

Almost as exciting as the dropped stitch is that Rosie has a secret. And it seems to be a Ninth Season Fallon type secret.
    Ironically, my memory is failing me completely on this one and I don't know what it's about. You can bet I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.

• Like Like x 2
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,490
    Medals:
    Mention of the end credits reminds me - although you may already know - that the credited makeup artist, Patricia Hutchence, was the mother of Michael Hutchence.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    Thanks for this. It's one of those titbits that I didn't know I'd forgotten. And even now I can't remember how I knew in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:

Gordon has a dark past. An original sin, if you will. And it’s put the cat among the pigeons.

But from the heart of darkness... a silver lining: Wayne's Celica convertible has just landed. Now we're in classic S&D territory!!

Gordon’s biggest sin, though, was there for all to see in the guest cloak space (AKA the study) during his wedding. Who wants to hang a fur coat on a wire coat hanger?

Speaking of the study, Paul has been away from Dural too long. He seems to have forgotten the rules of the house and how Wayne operates.
    We’re past the midway point of the 1983 episodes now, which means it’s time for Season Two: Phase II.

Mid-season character tweaks are underway and it's good news/bad news.

Peter is the last Healy standing, and even he is on the way out. David’s cellmate is set to replace him both at The Terrace and in the show, as someone for the Palmers to focus their nurturing skills on.

Matt Kennedy seems to be everywhere suddenly. As a character he’s mildly interesting. As a doctor he’s somewhere between unethical and perverted. His omnipresence, post-amnesia makes little sense, which I think is why I’m finding it difficult to take to him.

Stephen Morrell, on the other hand, is in many ways the ideal new S&D character. On the surface there’s his enigmatic aura and matinee idol good looks (he looks very much like he belongs in a 1940s Ealing. And in close up he’s got something of a young John Le Mesurier to him). But it’s his placement in terms of interpersonal relationships that means he’s hit the ground running: Barbara’s brother; a business partner of Gordon’s and a suitor of Patricia’s. It’s an explosive combination, and I hope Patricia making Barbara miserable on her wedding day is a taste of things to come.

Stephen is also buying Patricia’s home, and there was a belated explanation for that gloomy set that didn’t match the opulence of the exterior.

Stephen: "There's a lot of work to be done on the interior."
    Gordon: "She was in the throes of renovating when she took ill."
    Stephen: "Wondered why she'd set up camp in one dingy corner of the house."

Lynn is back. Cue the girly giggles. Her first lines on returning:
    Kevin [to Davey]: "I bet you hardly recognise this place."
    Lynn: [chortle] "I do." [giggle]
    Kevin: "Wait ’til you see the new footie I gotcha."
    Lynn: [speaking whilst half laughing] "He hasn’t grown that much, Kevin" [guffaw]

There’s some marriage drama going on, which will hopefully minimise the maddening laughter.

Beth is back. The sex industry brings a little edge to the show... and to Fiona. Hackles are raised, and the truth seems set to explode into the open.

I’m struggling to keep track of who lives where at the moment. And John’s hair scares me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,214
    Medals:
    Haven't watched many episodes these last couple of days, life in general has a way of sabotaging the Really Important Things, like watching S&D.
    I've spent an entire evening/night doing my Clothes Songs top 10, and the next day there were some very unexpected visistors (not from outer space, thankfully).
    I got a lot of work to do this weekend, but will try to pick it up a.s.a.p.

But I'd like to comment on Angela and Paul's affair. It's a prime example of creating a situation without any consideration for plausible human behaviour and logical plot development, especially about the way Angela decides to deal with the situation - and even expects other characters to support the insanity of it all!
    However, once the situation has become a fact, none of this matters anymore, and the story rapidly changes into high-octane soap.
    To cut to the chase: the success of the US prime time soaps mostly relied on good writing, hence why I still consider Knots Landing and Peyton Place (and some parts of Dallas and Dynasty) the creme-de-la-creme of SoapLand.
    Somehow this doesn't always apply to Sons & Daugthers, there's often a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" vibe going on e.g. the writing can be subpar, but the soapy results are to die for.

Oh well, at least Beryl angrily objects to the immorality and insanity of it all**, so at least they acknowledge it. But that doesn't change the fact that they want to get away with it.
    Ironically, Angela's curent amnesia is one of the more believable versions: not just because of the miscarriage, but also because of the disillusionment of her (initially) "brilliant" plan and the guilt over the mess she's created (or at least that's my interpretation of it, but that could all change in the next episode!).

Wayne and the fake biological mother scheme is almost as bollocks as the Krystle/Rita plot, and I feel the show is gradually moving into OTT soap territory.
    It's a lot of fun though, and I like the actress who's playing "mother".

**I assume that was the very justified bitch-slap Mel O'Drama referred to in one of his earlier post. The whole argument is exhilarating.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,490
    Medals:
    After a bit of a hunt around, I've just found a tightly-wrapped plastic bag full of sequentially-numbered home-recorded DVDs at the bottom of a cupboard. Is this ... could it be ...? I took a disc at random, slid it into ye olde DVD tray, held my breath and then ... and then ... a freeze frame of Barbara Hamilton looking cross in sepia! Yes! I've found my collection of every episode of Sons and Daughters that I bought off the internet about ten years ago when you could still do that sort of thing! I'm going in ...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,214
    Medals:
    I thought these things only happened to @J. R.'s Piece :lol:
    Yes! Yes! Yes![​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    If you hang around anywhere near this thread it's got to happen. Resistance is futile.

Looking forward to your comments, James.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,473
    Medals:
    On reflection, I really like the way Angela's approach was written. I read it that she's managed to justify it so well into the hardwiring of her brain that she not only views it as harmless, but she almost feels she's providing a service in keeping both Rob and Paul happy. Often in life, people only think of situations in terms of how it affects them. If a conduct has potential consequences then it's a question of either changing the behaviour or rationalising it. Angela's chosen the latter... probably because changing the behaviour would also have consequences that would affect her more directly in the short term (i.e. she'd have to have a grown up conversation with Paul and she'd lose out on extracurricular nookie).

At the time, I said this...

Since these episodes, there's been a scene in which Angela has passed comment on men in general and Rob in particular, and it's a very telling one (you may have seen it already. I've lost track of where it was). Very akin to the situation where she questioned why Beryl would want to make Rob unhappy with the truth, her comment about Rob made it sound like his fault that she was obliged to cover it up. There's always a way to project so that it's someone else's fault, and Angela is good at finding it and being the victim in it all. It's a fascinating side to her character.

That's the one.

Yes. And it's also an extreme reflection of Angela's capacity to avoid responsibility. As soon as things came to a head, there's a convenient bout of amnesia. It's for real, of course, but it does show how deep her desire to avoid reality is.

And, I think, the soapy results can seem more acceptable because of the slightly raw almost improvised vibe. It's all unplanned and anything could happen.

And that's the other thing. As long as it's fun, it's doing what it set out to do.

• Like Like x 1