Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JingeBellsROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    The cliff-hanger of episode 144 literally made me gasp. Move over, Matthew Blaisdel.

Why does the (imaginary) typing pool close to Di's office always sound like a crackling campfire? And it also looks hotter because their faces are usually redder in that office. Must be coincidence, but still…
    Speaking of faces, what's up with John's chapped lip? Is it because of too many hours spent on the beach or is it the result of too much lip-licking?
    Surely it's not supposed to be the injury from the bar fight that happened 20, 30? episodes ago - a soap doesn't have to be that consequent.

Beryl is really living it up in Sydney - party at Woombai, afternoon champagne sessions, brunch with Hal Mason, scarlet nail polish and let's not forget her fabulous new hairdo.
    I'm glad that they gave Hal a personal storyline, the actor has much screen presence and with this character I feel anything is possible.

I'm still not sure what to think of Paul Shepherd. He's so velvety and melodramatic, sometimes he reminds me of Adam Carrington.
    Rosie's granddaughter Gail looks and behaves exactly like another fictional tv character, I can't remember who it was but I instantly liked her because of that.
    upload_2019-7-17_3-7-15.png
    Right, no staircase whatsoever. but then we still have to deal with the mysterious passageway that connects Kevin's bedroom with...what?
    upload_2019-7-17_3-19-27.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    Isn't it great when that happens?

Perhaps he's been kissing the girls in the typing pool.

I don't know if it's because I posted the Robin picture earlier, but whenever he does his petulant pouty freeze frame face I keep seeing Burt Ward. Sometimes all that's missing is for him to punch his own palm.

You ain't seen nothing yet, Willie.

[​IMG]

If you remember I'd love to know.

Hmmm. Kevin's mysterious passageway. This could take some exploring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    LOL, and hanging out with the bohemians too.
    Poor David took a nasty tumble, so I've changed my avatar to support him.
    That Bates guy needs a proper punch in the face.

Can't believe it took Gordon so long to throw her out, he's such a masochist. Ironically, it wasn't even his decision anyway.
    Unlike the US prime time soaps, S&D isn't uncomfortable with singles at all. Let's see...Wayne, Susan, Jill, Fiona, Charlie (sort of), Allan Pascoe - and the Hamilton marriage has never looked very romantic and domestic, apart from a few candlelit dinner scenes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    I won't be surprised to see Kevin back on your avvy again soon. Last night I watched an episode where I felt so bad for him followed by another episode in which I wanted to stand up and cheer him.

As you can see, I've changed my avatar and signature to show I'm rooting for the absent Barbara to return.

Yes. She's really done a number on him, and I suspect she chose someone who was so placid and easygoing to begin with so that she could get away with whatever she liked.

Those candlelit dinners are the equivalent of Sable Colby taking a bath. A euphemism to show that when all else fails Pat will offer herself to Gordon in order to confuse him and maintain her hold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    So...who's still watching, and "where" are we?

6. Blizzard Channing

Blizzard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,598
    Medals:
    Ooohh, I just watched a good episode. This one:

I was starting to miss Patricia so it was great to have her back and on top form. Some really great scenes this episode between her and Gordon and also Gordon and Barbara, who I'm really starting to appreciate in a big way. I can see some monumental showdowns between her and Patricia in the future and I can't wait. Poor old Gordon, you'd think he'd be wise to Patrica's ways by now, but he keeps coming back for more.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    Tomorrow I'll start with episode 162.
    Paul & Gail's storyline feels a bit shoehorned in, like, something has to be happening there too.
    Rob and Angela have been neglected a little bit, therefore they decided to drop two (related) bombshells.

The Beryl/David/Patricia storyline continues to be mega-addictive drama, also because it affects the people around them.
    After a period of subtle manipulation the story requires that Patricia drops her guard and becomes her confident, pushy self again.

Wayne can't decide whether he's a victim or a villain, but it's always funny when he's stamping his foot. "You've never cared about me!"

It was good to see Gordon and Fiona patching up their friendship, drama isn't only about negative situations.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    My last episode was 164. So only ten episodes left of Season One. I usually try to have a little break at the end of a TV season to allow it to resonate, even if it's just forcing myself to wait until the next day. Is my willpower going to be strong enough?!

I too am loving Gordon and Barb this time round.

Yes indeed. Her return stirred thing up in the best possible way. And you've got some greatness to come.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:

Even though I've seen it, I can't remember this storyline at all. I'm enjoying it. Both characters are very likeable.

I'm not finding Wayne as interesting this time round as on previous watches.

Agreed. And baby Davey's Christening is a great example of balancing "love and laughter, tears and sadness".

10. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    I liked him when he was involved with Jill, but now it's nothing but extreme mood swings and I have no idea what motivates him.
    But his OTT outbursts make me giggle.
    I found the tough cookie Gail more interesting than the fragile little princess she's become after the incident with Wayne (not sure what happened there).
    Paul is too sweet, too soapy, too fake to fully experience the effect of being sucked into a soap world.
    With Gordon and the Palmer men the drama seems much more tense.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Medals:
    I'm way way behind you guys (episode 27) but my God, I'd forgotten how good it is. Even the score is so good in comparison to other Aussie soaps. There's a piece that plays at the beginning of episode 24, over the recap of John & Bill touching hands through the glass that segues into Patricia smoking on the couch & it's so majestic that it sounds like a film score as opposed to a soap.

What I love is how the three worlds slot together seamlessly. It doesn't feel forced when characters hop between the luxe world of the Hamilton mansion to Fiona's boarding house to the working class surrounds of the Palmer home.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    These last 2 episodes made me so very happy, my cheeks hurt from all the smiling.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    Aha, a boring cliff-hanger. Finally an excuse to watch something else.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,914
    Medals:
    I think I am only on episode 86... I need to catch up quickly!

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    It's not a race:lol:
    That was good stuff, with all those things going on at Woombai.
    Well, that didn't work. I've tried a movie and a new netflix series and I hated both.

16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    Which episode? Surely you don't mean the season finale?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    No rush, Alexis. I like that we're watching several different stages as it's a reminder how fast-moving this series really is.

Probably good, too, that you're pacing yourself. I'm starting to feel a little burnout from watching so quickly.

It certainly was.

18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    I'm glad you're enjoying it so much, Carrie. Like you, I'd forgotten just how good it was.

I'll be interested to see if your opinion stays the same as it goes along. Mine has changed a little towards the end of Season One.

19. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,236
    Medals:
    No, not that one (and I already know what's going to happen). It was Kevin's exam, also because his constant moping about the inevitable failure is getting a little tiresome.
    Turns out that I didn't really want to watch something else, I just thought I did. Even if I liked that movie I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway.
    It's the opposite for me. Last night I went back for a few more episodes (the Beryl/David/Patricia aftermath) and it was getting really late and I wanted to sleep, but somehow I found myself glued to the screen, not necessarily for the story development but because I couldn't stop watching them. And the Australian scenery makes it even more appealing.

I wonder if there are going to be any significant differences in the first episode of season 2, maybe some fabulous new hairdos?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    Ah. I wondered how you'd feel about that. The tone of the cliffhanger was very much the kind of territory that Neighbours would make their own a few years down the line. But Stephen Comey's charisma carried it through for me. I particularly enjoyed the moment where the invigilator asked when Kevin had made the notes, and you could see him silently wrestling with his conscience for those seconds. Should he run with the lie or come clean?

I'm not at all tired of the series and could probably watch more than I currently am. Like you, I feel the pull with the "just one more" hook.

But I'm finding watching this much TV quite physically draining. It's rare for me to watch more than an hour and a half of TV during the evening, but because it's on YouTube, I find it a bit too convenient. The ritual of sitting down on the sofa with a herbal tea and popping a disc in the player is missing. So I can do it without thinking about it. I'm probably watching several hours a day at the moment. I know I should stop but I can't. And now I've started doing it in the morning before work. Maybe I need help.

But in good news, isn't Domine the most adorable kid to appear on TV? I'm usually either indifferent to or irritated by TV toddlers, but she's just so happy and smiley and chatty. She's stealing every scene in which she appears. I am a bit concerned about her ice cream intake though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1