1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JingeBellsROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:

For the first time, I've found myself muttering out loud at one of the characters' actions onscreen. I've done it twice now, almost involuntarily. Both times something like a longhand version of OFFS.

After the accident with his lorry, I felt for David as he watched things go from bad to worse. It was nicely played by Tom Richards who brought a little pathos to things but in a very subtle way with his facial expressions. And I believed he was genuinely regretful not for himself but for what he was failing to do for his family.

But then Pat shows up, talks down to him and Beryl, then David immediately takes her side by agreeing to do what she wants regarding the wedding. That alone was enough to irritate. But what has compounded this is that his first thought afterwards is about how to get everyone to cover up to make it look like their decision rather than Patricia's. I get that he doesn't want to upset Angela, but for the love of God. After all Patricia's done, it just doesn't make sense. Had I been Beryl I'd have been straight on the phone to Angela to set her straight after David blamed Beryl's "condition" for changing the plans. I sort of love that I've gone from concern to annoyance regarding the same character in the space of an episode or so (and don't even get me started on gullible Gordon).

It's almost like the Bobby and Pam lack of communication thing where the writing is contrived but the performances sell it. And because S&D has been so strong on character, when the writing takes a more plot-based, almost one-dimensional tone it feels a little like the characters have betrayed the viewer as well as the people with whom they're interacting. Which somehow makes it even richer in terms of character.

It must be working, because my blood pressure has been right up.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blizzard Channing

Blizzard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    Oh, it never occurred me to do that. I'll have to have a look.

I wouldn't say there's nothing to like about her. In fact I kinda do like her. I think she does love in her own strange and possessive way. And I did feel for her when she broke down crying after David went back to Beryl. I don't find her totally unsympathetic.

But I guess she is just getting warmed up and hasn't reached her full potential for evil just yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Every time I see the big Ramberg "R" logo outside the building and in the foyer, I immediately think of...

[​IMG]

It gives me hope that we'll see some exciting superheroics and supervillainy there. Perhaps when it's time for action John will give his shorts another airing. I quite miss them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Enjoy. Be warned that some may contain mini-spoilers about events in the episode, so you may want to wait until the closing credits. Unless like me you view them as little teasers of things to look forward to.

Well put. I agree on all counts.

And this is very true also. But I can't say more. :ms:

5. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    Fiona's intent to counter-vote all of Patricia's votes purely based on the fact that she doesn't like her is kind of silly. They are both appointed to protect Paul's business interest (protect from...what, exactly?) and in case Patricia happens to make the right decision then Fiona should go along with it.

But the clever writers justified it with their very first Ramberg case: the acquisition of Southern Freight. Patricia's motive is personal, and not in a good way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:

Spot on. But seeing Patricia get Paul onside despite that has been a joy to watch. They've done a nice job of having Fiona just a little bit overconfident and almost smug in her relationship with Paul. While Patricia is doing this careful dance with Paul, Fiona's just been making little digs about Patricia all over the place and seeming to take it for granted Paul would instantly be on the same page as her because she knew him years before. And (in a nice bit of writing) Paul has commented on just that fact. To him, Fiona seems like the one with the problem.

Hal has said that of the two, Patricia is by far the better businesswoman. And I can believe it. It's very personal between Patricia and Fiona, but Patricia is managing to serenely glide and appear professional on the surface while Fiona is flapping for all she's worth.

I'm rooting for Fiona, but I can fully understand why Hal and Paul would think Patricia the better bet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    Although Patricia almost blew her cover when Paul overheard the dishwasher argument. And that's another appeal of Sons & Daughters: they can combine Big Important Storylines with common household issues like a dishwasher.
    And then when Paul finally unravels Patricia's "performance" she even manages to weasel her way out of that one. Not storming out of the room, no, they face the problem and deal with it, Knots Landing style.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Blizzard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    I haven't read the last few posts but have seen the name Paul mentioned a few times. I just watched the episode with the reading of the will, where Patricia is told she is now a very wealthy woman. I'm very intrigued to meet Paul now, as he seems like he will be quite an important character, caught in the middle of Pat and Fiona's feud and an unwitting victim of Patricia's manipulations.

Wouldn't hurt if he was a total hunk too. Let's see!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    That sentence - "a very wealthy woman" - is the only phrase that's used regarding how much she's inherited. And (very mild spoiler) it's used more than once. And it's a phrase that could mean very different things to different people.

And maybe even more besides that...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blizzard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    Lynn's maternity wear continues to cause concern. I know she makes it herself, and they certainly do look homemade, but do they really have to be so atrocious? The sooner she has this baby the better.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    I'm not enjoying Lynn this time round. She seems to have two default settings: giggly or whiny.

12. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    I find Beryl unsympathetic now she's staying, oops, I meant living with Fiona. Not because I think she's wrong - and that's the weird thing about good guys vs bad guys, and how we react to people's behaviour.
    I think the backlash would have happened anyway, but Patricia is responsible for the fact that it's happening now. And yet she couldn't be more gracious and friendly and understanding, even (or should I say, especially) towards her enemies.
    Their decision to stand up to the big baddie appears to backfire again and again, the wonderful soapy result of bad timing and being on a totally different wavelength as their nemesis.
    It makes the whole scenario delightfully unpredictable, and it allows to viewer to explore the characters from different angles. After all, we are the judge and jury.

In the meantime, the Palmer household is becoming a cosy little bunch again now Kevin and Lynn have decided to move back in.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    What's going on in this cabinet?
    upload_2019-7-16_0-40-18.png
    Is the messy display of the books pseudo-casual because it's essentially a man's room? Although it's not really Gordon's domain anymore - it's been a hospital room and a wedding dressing room and now it's Patricia's chain-smoking room.
    Either way, I have an aching urge to properly rearrange those books - it's quite distracting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    Or you could just lean Charlie a little and tilt your head. Far easier.

15. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The Hamiltons also appear to own three copies of the same green gardening book...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:

I'd love to see a floor plan of the Palmers' house. The layout has long confused me.

Currently staying are David, Kevin, Jill and Rosie. Technically, Lynn and the baby are also still living there. And David has invited Gayle to stay on "the folding bed in the spare room with Rosie". Weren't John and Kevin sharing a room at the beginning?

Rosie and Jill's arrival has shaken up the dynamics in that house. It's a good thing, but feels a little weird. As though the property has become a halfway house for characters who are in between storylines. It feels more noticeable here and a little more forced somehow than in previous stints when Manly Terrace, Woombai and Dural have become so "eclectic".

Willie commented earlier in this thread that visiting characters felt like they were appearing in a spin off. But now - to me at least - the boundaries have become less defined. All the characters have greater freedom of movement. Travelling from Sydney to Melbourne and vice versa is suddenly not as inconvenient or as significant as it was 100 episodes ago. It's as though the writers have recognised the limitations of having the cast in two factions.

Just a few episodes ago, Beryl and Wayne met for the very first time. Something that was acknowledged in the script. Besides that, and Susan aside, I'm struggling to think of other characters who haven't interacted in this post-wedding era. No matter where their original base of operations was. It's like everything is out in the open. Paradoxically, in broadening the canvas, it feels that the canvas has become smaller.

But at least this way the writers get to have their cake and eat it. Beryl staying with Fiona gives her enough distance from her family to feel significant. And with other characters flying round like there's no tomorrow, it makes the lack of physical contact between Beryl and her estranged husband seem even crueller. Because we know they could be together in the space of a scene if they really wanted.

#142 has been a landmark episode for Patricia, it turns out. Amidst the chaos of a breathtakingly Olympian series of manipulations, Patricia suddenly hit us with a moment of weary reflection. A moment that's made all the more confusing because it's shared solely with her scheming companion Wayne:

This is immediately followed up with her speaking contritely to Rob. One of the people who she's now acknowledged has been hurt by her actions:

Then comes the coup de grâce. And it's devastating.

The thing that gave this scene such resonance is that I completely believed what Patricia said to Wayne. And to Rob. Is it coincidence that Patricia's honesty gave her exactly what she wanted? Under most circumstances I'd say absolutely not. But the scenes with her looking and sounding burnt out and fatigued have clouded things. And I can honestly say I have no idea where Patricia's motives lay in her conversation with Rob. Was it a new tact for her manipulations? Was she on the verge of giving up and then found a new resolve? Did she lull the viewer into a false sense of security, just as she would Gordon or John?

There are so many hidden facets to her, I may never know. But I have to keep watching to see if I can find out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    Me too. The staircase is in the hallway, but Kevin and Lynn go upstairs via the (indoors) kitchen door, and apparently it's also the main access to the bathroom.
    I can't see this house having two staircases, therefore I assume that the hallway covers the entire width of the house.
    Come to think of it, do we even know for sure that John and Kevin's bedroom is on the first floor?
    What's Rosie doing there?? (I'm doing episode 138).
    Yes, it always makes sense that someone (anyone!) would stay at Fiona's, and at least the Sydney mansion has enough room to accomodate various guests.
    The whole place has a sense of "holiday", a mini-resort as it were.
    Excellent observation.
    Well, take Angela for example. She's so used to her mother's ongoing meddlings that whenever Patricia does appear to be genuine it almost feels like a very special treatment.
    Patricia is also a master in telling half-truths, rather than being a one-dimensional "moustache-twirling" villain.
    I've noticed that whenever her wicked schemes come to fruition, she almost never does the smug and devious JR/Alexis smile. Her face doesn't reveal anything. Because of that, despite knowing what she's up to, it's far easier to give her the benefit of the doubt when she pretends to be understanding and supportive.
    Contrarily, her outbursts of anger are always particularly powerful and menacing.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    I seem to remember in the opening episodes when the police came to speak to John, the bedroom was just across the hall. But maybe that's just a sense I got from the direction. Often when watching, the set feels very much like a one-storey house.

According to the S&D site, the house is here.

It's far deeper than it looks like in the establishing shots where it looks really small. But the front of the house (assuming this is the house) looks very much like a one-storey bungalow.

The same thing she does at Woombai and Dural. Lots of dusting and dishwashing.

Goodness me. I need to pace myself a bit.

Thanks. It's a similar situation to when John was cleared of murder and everyone discovered who he really was. It was a step towards mainstream soapdom. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for the long run.

Definitely. She's so difficult to read with that poker face of hers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,178
    Medals:
    Oh, fabulous. The wonders of google map.
    But not the set. The living room is only two steps away from the hallway, the kitchen is very close to the living room, and looks out on the backyard.
    But I think you're right, the bathroom and bedrooms are probably situated on the left.
    upload_2019-7-16_17-42-10.png

Incidentally, the front door doesn't face the street, but the Hardey's place.
    upload_2019-7-16_17-46-44.png
    Aha, she ran away from the evil dishwasher.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,464
    Medals:
    I've just seen that these cups are now at Susan's. ******** was drinking out of one when visiting ****** who is now staying there.

• Funny Funny x 1