1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JingeBellsROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Medals:
    They were bosom buddies...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    Should have mentioned: from episode 081 onwards, that's where I started watching his uploads.
    All his previous uploads (1 to 80) are poor quality. You'll need to search for the ep number with the leading zero.
    81 -> 081
    Hope that helps:)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Medals:
    It certainly does. Much obliged Kevin Willie. :hat:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Blizzard Channing

Blizzard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    With the upsurge in interest in S&D and a few of you currently watching, I decided it was time I picked up where I left off. Ended up watching quite a few last night. In one of the episodes David goes to Sydney to see Patricia and meets her outside the hospital where Wayne is recovering after his accident. It's a tender moment between them and actually these two have pretty good chemistry. Looking forward to seeing how that all plays out.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Blizzard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    I'm wondering, for those of you that have already seen the whole series, what would you say are the glory years of the show? It's pretty good from the get-go, and I hear it gets into some more outrageous storylines near the end, which I'm also totally down for btw. But what would you say were the years the show was really at it's height? I don't know how long a season was or if they even had seasons? I'm on episode 45 at the moment and I'm not sure how many it goes up to, but I'm wondering around what time would be seen as the peak of the shows success and quality (assuming the two went together)?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Medals:
    They had one season per year. The series took a break over the Australian summer, and threw in some wonderful cliffhangers to leave the characters - and audience - hanging until they came back (like their American counterparts, the cliffhangers got increasingly outrageous, and there were Dynasty-style multiple cliffhangers too).

But as it ran for most of the year each season ended up having around 175 episodes. So there are six seasons. The final season is the shortest, at just over 100 eps.

It's all really enjoyable. There are a few misfires, more frequent towards the end of the series, but it's highly enjoyable for most of the run.

I'm very fond of the middle years: Seasons Three and Four. Or 1984 and '85, if you prefer (Season Three begins with episode #353) There were some outlandishly fun storylines, a couple of which the series is fondly remembered for. I could go on but I'm wary of spoiling it for you.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Blizzard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    Oh goody, I look forward to those.

That's good to know, and rare actually! I can see this getting more addictive as it goes on. Even this early on in season 1 you can sense the potential for great drama, the set-up and how all the characters are connected is a really solid basis to build on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,486
    Medals:
    I've never been sure quite what happened when but I remember the first Morelle era being particularly exciting. I found the later years a bit of a slog personally, with Abigail and lots and lots of horrible “comedy”, but it’s been many moons since I watched that period.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    Hmm...I remember two particular summer "stops" and yet I didn't experience S&D as a season'd series. Same with Peyton Place, btw. The story had different stages or chapters but that could be 50 episodes or 150 episodes.
    Yeah, Alexis' Australian family members was fun, but I think these first episodes are really very good. The moral dilemmas and the fragility of it all, the opportunity to explore the characters and their motivations. The shocks, the food and the shameless hunxploitation. The seventies hangover atmosphere. Just love it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    Should she be considered stunt-casting? I remember her as being not one of the most interesting characters.
    But at some point she had a vision of Amanda and I must say it looked really spooky!

Karen Fox however, she's quite a character!
    [​IMG]

11. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    And after watching episode 100 I feel a new chapter has begun. Some feuds will end, some others will intensify - but the innocent days are definitely gone.
    Patricia is at the top of her conniving bitch game, and of course that requires a slimy henchman.
    upload_2019-7-5_0-7-56.png
    Be afraid, all of you sons and daughters.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Medals:
    When I read this, I "heard" it as narrated by Percy Rodriguez. Then my knees started trembling.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blizzard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,580
    Medals:
    Oooh that was a good episode I just watched. The triangle is finally in full swing. Sensing that something is going on between David and Pat in Woombai, Beryl decides to pay a surprise visit. The honeymoon is over and Patricia is furious, and David is acting guilty as hell. It's all so delightfully awkward. The episode ends with Beryl, tired of Pat being fake and trying to butter her up, telling her to cut the crap, she knows what's been going on. Beryl then proceeds to throw down the gauntlet, she has no intention of giving up her man without a fight. Things are hotting up!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    Barbara literally bitch-slapped Pru out of the story, well I hope she's gone for good.
    I didn't dislike her for who or what she was - I even secretly rooted for her for a while, thinking she was a more extreme version of Angela, but likeable enough to come round at some point.
    But no, she kept going on and on like a broken record, the same old digs in every episode without showing what she really felt.
    Her confrontations with Angela were kinda of fun but as a manipulator she really sucked. Actually, that's not entirely true - and this is the worst part of it - because John kept going back to her despite the fact that there was zero chemistry between them.
    Jill and Wayne are also very different characters, but I can believe the attraction even when Wayne behaves like a total asshole. Their early episodes allowed them to create some kind of foundation, but with John and Pru it's never been convincing for one single moment.
    The only justification I can think of is that John's supposed to possess this childlike innocence - incidentally, his "shirtless-for-the-heck-of-it"-days seem to have gone now.
    His transformation from Palmer rebel to Hamilton yuppie is interesting and even creates some awkward conflict, but his current outfits (covered in suits and polo shirts and sweaters) deprives us from the spontaneous striptease moments.
    Patricia's absence is starting to show, like one of the missing elements. There have been plenty of great episodes that don't feature Patricia, but there's a difference between not-showing and not being available at all.
    She will be back, and hopefully she's going to bring the handsome Paul Shepherd with her. So I guess she's doing me a big favour right now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Medals:
    There was yet another callback to that first dinner party in episode 73 when Patricia, keen to get John onside, sawed at a croissant with her knife while alluding to their initial relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    Treacherous little me continues with the dailymotion uploads. To stop watching is not an acceptable alternative at this point.
    I recognized James Shepherd's mansion, is Patricia going to live there or is it being re-used as the Morell residence? (and then she'd be living there anyway).
    Fiona is on the warpath - the hatred's dripping from the screen - eventhough it wasn't really Patricia's fault that Wayne bulldozered the graves, she only told him to take action or not.
    She tells Gordon about the money and the affair, I don't think Patricia is going to weasel her way out of this one.

I'd like to see more of Victor Hardy, he's a colourful character, especially when he butts heads with one of the male Palmers.
    Bill has changed his mind and wants to see Susan again. A spouse in jail (for many years) is a disastrous scenario for a soap series, I wonder how they're going to tackle this situation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,465
    Medals:
    That's it then. I'm never going to catch you up. :(

But that's ok. I'll enjoy your posts as hints of the good things still to come my way.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    I don't know, I'd take a break if Netflix was going to stream the last seasons of The Affair and The Americans (ahem, how influential are you?;))

Incidentally, is JROG still watching?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,883
    Medals:
    I just cant do Dailymotion. It's so much worse than YouTube. No..... I will just have to be patient and wait for them to come back on YouTube. Hopefully in the right picture format.

20. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,180
    Medals:
    You only have to search once: "sons and daughters episode (for example) 88"
    Then c&p when you do the next episode, change the 8 to 9. Actually that's exactly how I do it on YouTube.
    I'm secretly hoping that's the reason for the break. If it's true what Mel O'Drama said - that he chose the wrong (default) setting - then he could mass-reupload them using the correct setting for the 4:3 video format.

• Like Like x 1