Watching Capricorn Crude

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Willie Oleson, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    upload_2019-4-5_6-45-12.jpeg
    The Shapiros & Spelling were the ones obsessed with Dallas!!​

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    At the end of the episode I hoped that Peter Larson turned out to be gay, but I don't know why…
    Not as an ironic twist or to improve the episode or to make things more difficult for Cliff, I just felt the moment was right.
    Of course it was JR who sowed the seed…

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +878
    The Yellow Rose of Texas!

4. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +878
    Jock is capable of doing what's necessary. Whatever is necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    these recaps belong in the pantheon of Dallas review greatness with Dallas Decoder and the underrated and tragically dormant Dallas Reviewed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    Big drama at Southfork, but the men are away, therefore the women take over.
    There's a storm and the Ewing plane crashes with Bobby and JR in it.
    upload_2019-4-7_4-25-26.png
    This is the set up for a "what if" drama because the story doesn't really focus on the fate of the Ewing brothers.

Miss Ellie is in charge and I must say she's doing a great job, considering the horrific circumstances. Jock hasn't fully recovered yet and Miss Ellie suspects that he can't cope with a tragedy like this, therefore she orders the women to behave as normal as possible until there's more news about the missing plane.
    During dinner, everyone's beating around the bush in order to spare Jock, Pam struggles to control her emotions (which was the most normal reaction imo).

Sue Ellen is alarmed when she overhears Lucy talking on the phone, trying to track down her father.
    upload_2019-4-7_4-56-57.png
    A nasty confrontation ensues, Sue Ellen shows her true colours, and Lucy gleefully rubs it in.

Miss Ellie is upset when a reporter inquires a statement regarding the missing plane, and possible casualties.
    She puts Ray in charge of the Southfork machinery, no-one is allowed to come near the house otherwise Jock is going to find out that there's something going on.
    upload_2019-4-7_5-19-16.png

Sue Ellen wails in self-pity but she doesn't want to suffer alone, therefore she decides to humiliate Pam. Sounds like a plan, however, her reflexes are not as fast as Lucy's and that's why she experiences the full force of Pam's bitch-slap.
    upload_2019-4-7_5-28-11.png

Somehow, one particular reporter (actually it's the same one who made the call to Southfork) bypasses the security, but Miss Ellie chases him away by pointing a rifle in his face.
    She doesn't know that Jock has overheard the whole argument.
    upload_2019-4-7_5-47-52.png
    This is such a wonderfully melodramatic scene, I bet it looks even better in black & white.

Ray locates the plane, thanks to JR's boy scout skills (ha!) - I can hear their voices but I don't see them.
    upload_2019-4-7_5-54-13.png
    I suspect those dialogues were recorded in the studio!

"Maybe this time we're going to be a real family".
    upload_2019-4-7_5-56-51.png
    "What do you mean, Miss Ellie? We are a real family. We are aaall Ewings!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    p.s were there any bloopers in this episode? I thought I picked something up but maybe it's just my imagination.

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    There's something peculiar about this episode. It only has one interesting storyline (besides Muriel's off-screen introduction) and it just feels stretched out to fill the episode.
    I wonder if that was the reason to make this episode look as lively as possible.
    There's a lot movement and playful camera angles and, well, frankly, much ado about nothing.

upload_2019-4-9_1-32-45.png
    Liz Craig is getting fisheyed.

"We are gonna have a wonderful Washington flight".
    "I'm looking forward to it".
    upload_2019-4-9_1-37-17.png
    "Just wait till you look back on it!"

The affair is now a fact, I checked the other disc to see if I had missed an episode, but the 6 weeks time jump becomes relevant in the last scene.
    upload_2019-4-9_1-40-34.png

It's raining men, hallelujah.
    upload_2019-4-9_1-46-1.png

DALLAS continues to showcase all kinds of fabulous locations, this week it's the Casa Madrid restaurant.
    upload_2019-4-9_1-51-16.png
    Pam needs to talk to Sue Ellen, something that can't be mentioned at Southfork. Sue Ellen is justifiably annoyed when it turns out to be something that takes less conversation than the amount of words it took to explain why it couldn't be mentioned there and then.
    How bizarre that the writers decided to expose one of their own soap staples.

upload_2019-4-9_2-9-28.png
    Cliff's voice sounds very different in this scene, more suave, I think.

What the devil is that big metal stork doing in the dining room? Or is it hinting at the upcoming storyline?
    upload_2019-4-9_2-14-46.png

I'm still trying to figure out just how big The Store really is.
    upload_2019-4-9_2-16-54.png
    It almost looks like Judith Krantz' SCRUPLES.

And yet another great set, this could have been a scene from Mad Men.
    upload_2019-4-9_2-23-56.png
    This is when JR learns about the pregnancy, the music turns sinister as he approaches the mirror.
    upload_2019-4-9_2-26-7.png
    But that's only because they want to surprise us with JR's exclamation of joy.

There's more reveal of smoke and mirrors tactics when Pam decides to dress for Bobby's party instead of wearing the dress in Paris.
    upload_2019-4-9_2-32-23.png
    So, really the only thing that matters is that she's allowed to go to Paris. And that they really really love each other very very much.

Sue Ellen thinks that JR only cares about his precious heir no matter who the father is, eventhough he questions the likelihood of him being the father.
    This seems like a strange contradiction, although it was in response to JR's very telling non-reaction when she said "I've been just as faithful to our marriage vows as you have".
    Either way, Sue Ellen is holding all the cards now because the alternative, JR becoming the subject of ridicule, is unthinkable.
    And I have to say, it's more convincing than her revenge movie.
    upload_2019-4-9_2-58-40.png

• Winner Winner x 6
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,295
    Medals:
    This is when DALLAS first relocated from Texas to Los Angeles (well, the preceding plane crash episode is, but it's not so noticeable) with the introduction of the cardboard patio at Southfork so yes, it does have a different feel. They haven't quite got the sound right and sometimes it feels like they're inside when they're outside so it seems weirdly claustrophobic to me.

Ha! I really like the shifting shape of The Store.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but that's a really interesting moment -- JR's natural impulse after finding out he has a child on the way is to look at himself in the mirror. Something about moulding the child in his own image, perhaps.

Two facts I really like about this nameless blonde: she's played by someone called Liberty Godshall who then became a writer on thirtysomething and MY SO-CALLED LIFE. She was also a producer on NASHVILLE (I don't like that fact quite as much).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Medals:
    I always enjoy the scenes they film on location in Dallas. There are many breakfast scenes out on the patio where the wind is blowing hard enough that you can tell it's a struggle for the actors to keep their hair in place and talk over the wind.

To me, this only adds to the realism and makes for an even more entertaining show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,035
    Medals:
    There was one episode after they first went off location when they really tried to make Fake Southfork look real -- with lots of wind and whoosh!

Sadly, that didn't last too long. But it can be done.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    upload_2019-4-15_18-31-3.png
    My heart skipped a beat because I thought this was Jimmy Monahan #3, but he's not.

Bobby, Pam, Lucy and Joe "Not Jimmy" Newcomb are in the Mustang Club, and the crowd is being entertained by the ambitious, up-and-coming country star Garnet McGee.
    upload_2019-4-15_18-40-10.png
    Ray is there too because he happens to be her boyfriend. I had no idea!

Lucy, obviously inspired by Garnet, decides that she wants to be singer but JR and Jock are having none of it.
    upload_2019-4-15_18-41-36.png
    Say about dangerous drifter Willie what you like, but at least he believed in her.
    And then suddenly Bobby notices that I'm screenshooting them - it made me feel a little embarrassed.

If Dallas moved to California then I guess this is also not the original Southfork land?
    upload_2019-4-15_18-52-17.png
    Come to think of it, it looks more like Westfork now. Gary would just love that tree!

The surprises and twists & turns is what we like in soaps, but knowing what's going to happen can also enhance the viewing experience.
    upload_2019-4-15_19-2-58.png
    Jock gives Ray a section of Southfork, a present to celebrate Ray's 20 years working on the ranch. Working, yes.
    Well I'm sure he would have been working there if he was Miss Ellie's son but then he wouldn't be one of the employees.
    I think there's something cruel about this scene, it reminds me of how the Peytons treated Steven Cord eventhough he wasn't an outsider at all.
    The Peytons were more brutal than the Ewings, but it's the same idea (I think).

Married or not, being a couple for a week or a year, there has to be the picture in a frame.
    upload_2019-4-15_19-28-50.png

Papi Ramos is very busy doing...something...with the decoration.
    upload_2019-4-15_19-54-9.png
    I have no idea what this is supposed to be. Easter, Christmas? The Day Of The Triffids?

Ray tells JR that he loves Garnet but JR doesn't take it very seriously. To be fair, they have a history of "sharing" lady friends and Ray has never been serious before.
    But it also shows that JR wants everything, literally, and at all costs.
    In this case, the cost is a record contract with Down Home Records (run by Dan Ingalls).
    upload_2019-4-15_20-13-40.png
    I assume this is a fictional record company, however, there was a soap song released on the Down Home Records label.

Sue Ellen pretends to be the understandig wife.
    upload_2019-4-15_20-22-23.png
    And then Miss Ellie pretends that this is not a bad situation at all. "JR is so lucky to have you".
    Claudia Blaisdel would call her "the most dangerous Ewing of them all".

Bobby is doing homework in his bedroom, and he looks so adorable in that velvet apricot-coloured sweater.
    I had one of those, but mine was vanilla-yellow with black.
    upload_2019-4-15_20-32-48.png
    And then Pam ruins the idyllic scenery because there's something going on with Ray and JR. Panic, panic, panic.

This was the first "Ray" episode of Capricorn Crude.
    upload_2019-4-15_20-39-32.png
    Yep!

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +593
    How did Bobby not tear a hole in the paper sitting drawing with nothing but the soft covers of the bed underneath :confuse:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    Felt-tip pen? Or maybe he was marking holes for the construction plan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I'd almost forgive him for ruining perfectly good plans, he looks so cosy swept up in his project :innocent:

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    Bobby's best college buddy Taylor "Guzzler" Bennett has arrived in Dallas, and he looks like he just walked off the set of a Doctor Who episode.
    upload_2019-5-2_22-31-49.png
    Since the crew moved to California I assume this is not downtown Dallas anymore? I see an evil palm tree at the end of the street.
    Guzzler is very playful, very busy, very energetic and very everything else.
    Bobby invites him to dinner at Southfork, and Guzzler entertains the Ewings with his joviality and stories about his busy, successful life.

I vaguely remember this episode from my first watch back in 2002-ish, but even if I didn't then the underwhelmed expression on the face of Dallas' moral compass would have been the indication that there's something "too good to be true" about this jolly visitor.
    upload_2019-5-2_22-50-18.png

JR thinks he's too awful to be true.
    upload_2019-5-2_22-51-56.png
    "I'm gonna go upstairs, I can't stand any more of that name-dropping. Next thing you know, that actress is gonna be Farrah Fawcett-Guzzler".
    What's so funny about this scene is that the camera follows Sue Ellen walking towards the living room, but we still hear JR grumble.
    "I never heard a man talk so much in my whole life. Babbles on like a blooming idiot".

Bobby and Guzzler are discussing Bobby's new construction business (although he hasn't even built a bird box) and thanks to Guzzler's enthusiasm he sort of manipulates Bobby into offering him a partnership.
    upload_2019-5-2_23-12-11.png
    It almost looks like the first stage of the cul-de-sac.

JR has to deal with some unhappy business associates, and in order to keep them in line he dangles the carrot that is the oil on Southfork land.
    It just so happens that Bobby and Guzzler decide to build a shopping mall on that very section of Southfork, behind closed Ewing Oil doors also known as the Red File Land.
    JR panics and tries to persuade Jock and Bobby to build the mall elsewhere.
    upload_2019-5-2_23-29-6.png
    It's very funny to watch him clutching at straws. But ultimately it's going to be Miss Ellie's decision.

It doesn't take long before Jeb Ames & co find out about the Red File Land fiasco, and in that moment - when he tells JR that Bobby must be stopped one way or another - he becomes one of Dallas' most fascinating characters.
    upload_2019-5-2_23-36-47.png
    It's how this craving for (more) oil can turn men into murderous bastards, the real JRs, as it were.
    Surprisingly, JR slaps him in the face, it's one of those "oh!" moments, even more so because JR isn't a very "physical" man, at least not as much as Bobby and Ray.

Anyway, JR finds out about Guzzler's many business failures and he informs Pam, hoping she can change Bobby's plans - but she decides to confront Guzzler first.
    It's a great scene without melodrama and without excuses. Guzzler's matter-of-factly "confession" makes it all the more poignant.
    upload_2019-5-2_23-58-17.png
    "I was a big man on campus, it was the high point of my whole life. I could never be that again...I kept trying and failing….I can't figure it out. Somehow I just...burned out young".

But wait! There's a twist! Bobby knew all along. He wasn't going to be conned by Guzzler, he wanted his best buddy to feel like he was being part of something big.
    Guzzler leaves Southfork (a business emergency, gotta dash!), Bobby pretends to believe him and Guzzler pretends not to notice it.
    It was the most merciful thing to do, and maybe that's what friends are for.

upload_2019-5-3_0-10-50.png
    But I don't think he's going to pay the bills for the taxis and the dinners.

• Winner Winner x 5
  17. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,295
    Medals:
    I used to hate Guzzler -- I couldn't see past the stupid hair and the stupid trousers and the "women are like snowflakes" speech -- but as I've gotten older, I've found him very moving, this speech especially:

It's a great performance. I think the actor died soon afterwards, maybe even before the episode aired.

Wow, yes it really does!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    I know Lucy likes men and wayward boys, but to watch her swoon over Guzzler was a bit too much.
    Oh, that's very sad...(and to think that I was kind of relieved that Ken Kercheval didn't appear in this episode).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    it’s like Will Durant said, fantastic episodes and spectacular recaps thereof exist via geological consent, subject to change without notice!

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  20. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +878
    Very high on something?

Coke can have that effect.

That's such a poignant statement. Before he said that I thought Guzzler was just a braggart.. Then he said the things he did in that quote and I started to really feel bad for him.

Out of the episodes where a whole story is told and concludes by the end of the episode, this is one of the better ones. "Lessons" was very good too and "The Fourth Son" as excellent. This one about Guzzler has great performances by Patrick and Victoria. "Lessons" is one of Charlene's best performances. "the Fourth Son" has excellent acting from Jim Davis and especially Steve Kanaly. It all goes to show how great it is to have an ensemble of such talented people like Dallas did. They had a lot of different characters whom any particular episode might focus on. It keeps things fresh and helps them avoid overexposing one actor by always relying on him as most shows tend to do.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1