Was Sue Ellen going to become the "new" J.R?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by tommie, Dec 29, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    Wives always learn, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,146
    I think perhaps so -- and that was a great, very natural development. Too bad nuDALLAS was too discombobulated to last long enough to see that through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Interesting idea. Given her history with THE man (J.R.) and having a front row seat to his manipulations it would have been fun to see Sue Ellen in a different light. I'm not saying for her to be as ruthless as JR in those early years but a strong Sue Ellen protecting her son, Southfork and the legacy that was carrying the Ewing name. I always like to reference one of her early scenes;

Sue Ellen was bred to marry into wealth, it's what mamma always wanted for her girls. But as the years went on she became much, much more. Her tumultuous years with JR taught her to be strong willed yet, his death again brought on her drinking habits. But who could blame Sue Ellen? As far as I was concerned she was entitled to own falling off the wagon again.

If TNT Dallas had continued and Christopher was dead I believe it wouldn't have been a bad idea to have Bobby and Ann leave the ranch - for good. Have Sue Ellen become the new steward of Southfork. I suspect she had a deep affection for the ranch, much like Miss Ellie, protect it at any cost. I'm reminded what she said to Bobby in TNT Dallas, "Miss Ellie would be ashamed."

And the Sue Ellen I know? She would not have stood idly by and allow someone like Judith Brown Ryland to dig her claws into her son.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,447
    We had already seen how vengeful and pragmatic she could be on OldDallas. This was an upgraded version of that Sue Ellen, and I guess the same happened to Bobby.
    She certainly didn't stand idly by - the more she got involved, the more conflicted she became.
    But I've never seen a "new JR" in her just because she chose to support John Ross.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,447
    That's just so typical of Sue Ellen.
    I think that, above all things, she was an unreliable person - bosom buddy or enemy, the other characters often didn't know where they stood with her.
    J.R., on the other hand, was probably the most reliable Dallas character, because they could always count on him to screw them over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    That's why I so loved the character. One moment I felt pity for her. So strong is that pity I just wanted to wrap my arms around her and protect her. On the other hand she could spit venom with the best of them...that's when I felt like throwing a bourbon & branch in her face, just so she could taste the alcohol she was so craving for. I don't believe enough credit is given to Linda Gray for her performance. I mean nearly 40 years later and I'm still craving the fine Sue Ellen Ewing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    I wish that they would have focused more on Sue Ellen in the TNT Dallas instead of stuff like that ridiculous drug cartel plot. I liked her character here, and I would have liked to see more of her governor campaign storyline. She had some good scenes with John Ross and Ann (kitchen argument, hard advice about Emma, etc.). It was sad that Larry Hagman was lost so soon, so that we didn't get to see more scenes with her and JR (it kinda looked like they were becoming friends/allies). But one of the few things that I really liked about the TNT Dallas was that it showed that Sue Ellen could still be an interesting character without being dependent on scenes with JR.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    I am one of the few that appreciated the character of Ann. Okay, so some of her story was sloppy in the writing department; courtroom drama to name one but that aside I thought Brenda had good chemistry with Patrick and Linda. The problem was the writing department always considered this version of Dallas was going to be about the next generation and nothing more with guest appearances from JR, Sue Ellen, Bobby and others.

What those fools (writers) did not bank on was the backlash from viewers as evident when we tuned into episode 1 then deserted the series from that point on. Dallas IS/WAS/ALWAYS about the Ewing family, and that includes the Krebbs and Barnes family. Did the writers/producers/showrunner firmly believe no one would want to watch a bunch of wrinkle old farts still fighting over Ewing Oil? In my world yes. Did I wish to see how John Ross, Christopher, Lucas, Pamela Rebecca and Margaret fit into all this? Damn right! Dallas lends itself to generational storytelling. It's what made the Lorimar Dallas so good. The grandparents, the kids and grandkids.

I too liked Sue Ellen in this version. Like JR she was a scene stealer. Linda has breathed life into this character for 40 years. I say more of Sue Ellen, not less.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,778
    She's my darling and I love her and will love her no matter what. She is and always has been a scene stealer and I agree that Linda made her and should have been given more credit. As for becoming the new JR, I don't think so. A because there is only one JR and B because she has too much good in her. Having said that, I saw shades of him peeping through in the new TNT, but it made me sad because I wouldn't want her to become a new JR, I wanted her to be Sue Ellen and all she could be as herself. With JR gone however she may have felt, given the show continuing that she had nothing left to lose. But I personally wouldn't want that for her.

10. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    I don’t think so. I don’t think she was headed to be a miss Ellie type matriarch either, but not JR, maybe unless she felt forced into it. Given what they did I’m not sure what they were doing with her character. With Christopher gone I think bobby would have turned into a recluse at best and the company would have been hers alone. Im not even sure where Ann would fit into things. I was looking forward to John Ross’s sister. She must have had money and power bum mentioned she’d help John Ross. But I’m sure they’d have messed that up, but she could have been a great JR IMO.

11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Of course I'd have to suffer the consequences and watch TNT Dallas to revisit the story, but my impression was John Ross was going to somehow use his half-sister to perhaps break JR's Will. This would allow him to get his grubby hands on Ewing Energies - again. But I'll put my hand up and admit my mistake if another kind soapchater who I know recently watched TNT Dallas (and loved it) could elaborate.

12. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    I agree he was going to use her (how or to what end I don’t think they revealed) if nothing else to give him an advantage somehow against his enemies (nearly everyone) and add to his small list of allies (Judith, Emma, CIA operatives). To do that this sister would have had to have some money and power of her own. I looked forward to seeing her.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,146
    Sue Ellen was fated from time immemorial to become the gothic queen of nuDALLAS, inhabiting her sizeable attic apartment atop Southfork, imperiously perusing the activities on the lawn below through a circular window we can never quite locate on the exterior of the house, nursing another in an eternal series of glasses of "club soda".

It was her destiny.

[​IMG]

Exhale... Why don't they let me make these things..?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    It didn't sound like John Ross's sister had money from the description from the cut out scene where he meets her at a bar - I got the impression she was either a waitress or a bartender, but that might be wrong. I think he was going to use her as leverage in JRs will somehow.

15. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    That could be true, some how pry Sue Ellen’s share of South Fork Oil out of her hands, but then why not use Cally’s child - of course maybe this was Calley’s child. If that’s true, shows even more how little CC understood Dallas - moments of Lucy working as a waitress slumming, a few moments of Miss Ellie talking to Teresa - this was not an Upstairs, Downstairs sort of show. This was all Upstairs.

I didn’t root for Elena at the end and cry for our poor heroin. I wanted her locked up for being involved with a foreign drug cartel, aiding a known baby killer, and getting Drew and Chris killed. Life in prision and John Ross raising her baby.

I’d have wanted JR’s little girl to walk in like Alexis Colby and look her brother’s (in this case brother to Alexis’s children) enemies in the eye and say I’ll f*** you up, except in a very posh way.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1