Was Sue Ellen going to become the "new" J.R?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by tommie, Dec 29, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Wives always learn, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost
    Sleepy

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,857
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I think perhaps so -- and that was a great, very natural development. Too bad nuDALLAS was too discombobulated to last long enough to see that through.

3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    Interesting idea. Given her history with THE man (J.R.) and having a front row seat to his manipulations it would have been fun to see Sue Ellen in a different light. I'm not saying for her to be as ruthless as JR in those early years but a strong Sue Ellen protecting her son, Southfork and the legacy that was carrying the Ewing name. I always like to reference one of her early scenes;

Sue Ellen was bred to marry into wealth, it's what mamma always wanted for her girls. But as the years went on she became much, much more. Her tumultuous years with JR taught her to be strong willed yet, his death again brought on her drinking habits. But who could blame Sue Ellen? As far as I was concerned she was entitled to own falling off the wagon again.

If TNT Dallas had continued and Christopher was dead I believe it wouldn't have been a bad idea to have Bobby and Ann leave the ranch - for good. Have Sue Ellen become the new steward of Southfork. I suspect she had a deep affection for the ranch, much like Miss Ellie, protect it at any cost. I'm reminded what she said to Bobby in TNT Dallas, "Miss Ellie would be ashamed."

And the Sue Ellen I know? She would not have stood idly by and allow someone like Judith Brown Ryland to dig her claws into her son.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson
    Question

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,804
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    We had already seen how vengeful and pragmatic she could be on OldDallas. This was an upgraded version of that Sue Ellen, and I guess the same happened to Bobby.
    She certainly didn't stand idly by - the more she got involved, the more conflicted she became.
    But I've never seen a "new JR" in her just because she chose to support John Ross.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson
    Question

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,804
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    That's just so typical of Sue Ellen.
    I think that, above all things, she was an unreliable person - bosom buddy or enemy, the other characters often didn't know where they stood with her.
    J.R., on the other hand, was probably the most reliable Dallas character, because they could always count on him to screw them over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    That's why I so loved the character. One moment I felt pity for her. So strong is that pity I just wanted to wrap my arms around her and protect her. On the other hand she could spit venom with the best of them...that's when I felt like throwing a bourbon & branch in her face, just so she could taste the alcohol she was so craving for. I don't believe enough credit is given to Linda Gray for her performance. I mean nearly 40 years later and I'm still craving the fine Sue Ellen Ewing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    Original Member Since:
    July 2015
    I wish that they would have focused more on Sue Ellen in the TNT Dallas instead of stuff like that ridiculous drug cartel plot. I liked her character here, and I would have liked to see more of her governor campaign storyline. She had some good scenes with John Ross and Ann (kitchen argument, hard advice about Emma, etc.). It was sad that Larry Hagman was lost so soon, so that we didn't get to see more scenes with her and JR (it kinda looked like they were becoming friends/allies). But one of the few things that I really liked about the TNT Dallas was that it showed that Sue Ellen could still be an interesting character without being dependent on scenes with JR.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    I am one of the few that appreciated the character of Ann. Okay, so some of her story was sloppy in the writing department; courtroom drama to name one but that aside I thought Brenda had good chemistry with Patrick and Linda. The problem was the writing department always considered this version of Dallas was going to be about the next generation and nothing more with guest appearances from JR, Sue Ellen, Bobby and others.

What those fools (writers) did not bank on was the backlash from viewers as evident when we tuned into episode 1 then deserted the series from that point on. Dallas IS/WAS/ALWAYS about the Ewing family, and that includes the Krebbs and Barnes family. Did the writers/producers/showrunner firmly believe no one would want to watch a bunch of wrinkle old farts still fighting over Ewing Oil? In my world yes. Did I wish to see how John Ross, Christopher, Lucas, Pamela Rebecca and Margaret fit into all this? Damn right! Dallas lends itself to generational storytelling. It's what made the Lorimar Dallas so good. The grandparents, the kids and grandkids.

I too liked Sue Ellen in this version. Like JR she was a scene stealer. Linda has breathed life into this character for 40 years. I say more of Sue Ellen, not less.

• Agree Agree x 3