Vote for your best Showdown

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Julia's Gun, Sep 11, 2019.

?

Who had the greatest showdown on Knots?

1. Val slapping Abby - Season 3 (China Dolls)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Lillimae confronts Joshua on that roof - Season 7 (Rise & Fall)

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Greg confronts Laura about leaving to die - Season 8 (Gift of Life)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Abby Scale - Paige & Abby's showdown before she leaves (Down came the rain 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Abby & Karen's final showdown - Season 9 (Down came the rain 1)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Gary throws Abby off the ranch - Season 5 (So shall you Reap)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Olivia confronts Abby about the babies and refuses to come home (S7 Alterations) - I Hate you!!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I've been thinking of classic showdowns on Knots that stick in my mind. My favourite is Abby and Karen's final scene. With all the years of animosity between them, there was a lot of stuff that could have been dragged up. But I think they did it perfectly. Karen references the key ones: stealing Gary, trying to steal Meg and cheating her out of Lotus Point, but the scene ends perfectly - Abby getting emotional and asking for a favor was a lovely curve ball that managed to touch Karen, and Abby's final half-smile as she goes out the door was great too.

I've come up with a poll of the major ones. Which one comes top for you?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,872
    Medals:
    It's not in the list, but the first one that sprang to mind for me was the racetrack showdown between Gary and Ben during the Seventh Season ("I am their father, Gary").

It felt like it had been a long time coming. And speaking loudly and openly about the twins' parentage after so much whispering and collusion felt both wrong and so very right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Ooh, i'd forgotten that one. It's years since I last saw season 7. I just watched some of 'Alterations' - a great underrated episode from that year too (where Olivia runs off to live at the McKenzies). I feel a re-watch binge coming on!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    From that list I just had to pick the famous rooftop scene, but I also like all the Karen/Diana confrontations.
    And also when Abby had her "Sable Colby" moment, and threatened to drag Valene and her precious babies and her precious Ben into court.

And the big emotional showdown in Will The Circle Be Unbroken. It felt like something that could never be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +634
    It's hard to pick one because there were so many great ones to choose. I finally went with Gary throwing Abby of the ranch because it was one of the few times Abby seemed really shook. The chickens had come to roost and Gary and Olivia turned on her. Donna Mills did a great job and there was a real sense of urgency.

Two other scenes I'll throw in as honorable mention both involve Abby. One is when she totally humbles Paige with her, "Everything I have I worked for. Everything you have you were given" speech. Paige was a newcomer to the series and needed to be taken down a peg and Abby was just the one to do it.
    The other scene was when she confronted Gary about his leaving a chunk of Empire Valley to the twins. Earlier in the season Abby had convinced everyone she was the hero who helped get Val her twins back, and Val even paid her a special visit to thank her. Abby played the blushing, humble hero. In the scene with Gary her claws came out and she even referred to the twins as "Val's bastards." I love to see Abby unleashed!:D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    Medals:
    I voted for Gary throws Abby off the ranch. As a "Gary & Val" fan, I should have been happy to see her go, but at the same time, it was impossible not to feel bad for her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,887
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    She was a parasite, Gary was lucky to get rid of her. Besides sure she spent a lot on mascara and eyeliner.

8. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +634
    He was lucky to be rid of her(even though he took her back), but the scene was so well executed and acted, I couldn't
    Help but feel a little sympathy for her either.
    Knots Landing: the most underrated show in the history of television, imho.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    Yes, I guess it should feel like a moment of anticipated comeuppance, but for some reason that's not exactly how it looked.
    I'm not sure if I felt any sympathy for Abby, maybe it was the situation itself - the ending of their relationship/marriage - that created a feeling of sadness, rather than satisfaction.

10. Jeff

Jeff Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I voted for the Abby/Olivia confrontation about the babies. The look on Abby's face when Olivia tells her that was priceless. Abby was in control up to that moment and all of the sudden the tables turned, and she had to walk away quietly. There was nothing she could say to convince Olivia otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1