World Cup Qualification Round USA Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The Bold and The Beautiful (1987 – Present)
    Set in Los Angeles, the show centres on the Forrester family and their fashion house business, Forrester Creations. The show follows the lives of wealthy people and how love affairs, scandals and betrayals affect each of the family members and their relationships with each other. Since its premiere, the show has become the most-watched soap in the world, with an audience of an estimated 26.2 million viewers.

Central Park West (1995 – 1996)
    Set in New York in the affluent Central Park West area of Manhattan, Central Park West was a prime-time soap opera that centred around the lives of the staff working for the trendy magazine Communique.

“In my opinion, the first 13 episodes are almost perfection. And as Darren Star himself said, the show is a real 90's time capsule with the fashions, the pop culture references (Bret Easton Ellis appears as himself) and the soundtrack (including Moby, Massive Attack, Everything But The Girl). It's such a slick production which is really heightened by heavy use of location shooting and it's one of those soap ensembles where there isn't a dud among the cast. The revamp has it's charms but it's the 1995 episodes that I love.” - @Carrie Fairchild

“To me, CPW will always be the 90s Dynasty that could have been. Mariel Hemingway's departure shook the perfect balance of the show, what came after that was enjoyable enough but it wasn't the cutting-edge NuSoap anymore. Shame, because it had the potential of becoming a successful long-running prime time soap.” - @Willie Oleson

The Colbys (1985 – 1987)
    A Dynasty spin-off. Set in Los Angeles, The Colbys focused on the extended Colby family starting with Jeff who relocated from Denver to California to start his life anew and comes face to face with Fallon, now married to his cousin Miles. A fierce rivalry is sparked between Jeff and Miles and the love triangle spans the series. Miles's father, billionaire Jason Colby, has a rocky marriage to Sable and a long time attraction to Sable's sister Francesca who is Jeff's estranged mother.

Dark Shadows (1966 – 1971)
    An American Gothic soap opera that depicted the lives, loves, trials and tribulations of the wealthy Collins family of Collinsport, Maine, where a number of supernatural occurrences take place. The series featured a vampire, Barnabas Collins and also featured ghosts, werewolves, zombies, man-made monsters, witches, warlocks, time travel, and a parallel universe. Dark Shadows was distinguished by its vividly melodramatic performances, atmospheric interiors, memorable storylines, numerous dramatic plot twists, adventurous music score, broad cosmos of characters and heroic adventures.

“Brilliantly insane, 60s daytime vampire soap, hypnotically slow and often genuinely scary - rubber bats and all.” - @James from London

Days of Our Lives (1965 – Present)
    "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives" are the words that have introduced every episode of one of the longest-running soap operas in the world that is still on air. Set in the fictional Midwestern town of Salem, the show follows the lives, loves, triumphs and tragedies of the Horton, Brady, Kiriakis, Hernandez and DiMera families.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Desperate Housewives (2004 – 2012)
    Set on Wisteria Lane, a street in the fictional town of Fairview, Desperate Housewives follows the lives of a group of women as seen through the eyes of their late friend and neighbour who committed suicide in the pilot episode. They work through domestic struggles and family life, while facing the secrets, crimes, and mysteries hidden behind the doors of their seemingly perfect suburban neighbourhood.

“It is a little twisted and has some dark humor/comedy too. But it's a soap opera in the sense that the stories are on going from one episode to the next.” - @Karin Schill

The Edge of Night (1956 – 1984)
    This was unique among daytime soap operas in that it focused on crime, rather than domestic and romantic matters. In this show the police, district attorneys, and medical examiners of fictional Monticello, USA, dealt with a steady onslaught of gangsters, drug dealers, blackmailers, cultists, international spies, corrupt politicians, psychopaths, and murderous debutantes, while at the same time coping with more usual soap opera problems like courtship, marriage, divorce, child custody battles, and amnesia.

“In a sea of romantic melodramas, EON carved a niche as the only crime-based, mystery soap. It was touted as a daytime version of Perry Mason, though it had storylines that unfolded over months, sometimes years. In this era of instant gratification, a soap that stretches out a storyline pay-off for a longer time is quite thrilling to watch, since clues are dropped all along the way and rewards the savvy viewer who picks it all up. It was said that EON's mystery format made it equally popular with female and male viewers, a demo no other soap went after in the 1960s and 1970s. It's also the place many people saw Larry Hagman for the first time in a pre-I Dream of Jeannie role, as well as a pre-Melrose Place Marcia Cross and pre-Full House Lori Loughlin.” - @Daniel Avery

Emerald Point N.A.S (1983 – 1984)
    The series was set at a Naval Air Station (N.A.S.) in the American South and dealt with the lives of the personnel stationed there. It combined military and espionage-based storylines with plots revolving around family intrigue, romance and scheming for power.

“I feel deserves a place in the next round. Emerald Point N.A.S. was a one season wonder in the 1983 - '84 period focusing on an Air Force unit, in the mould of the big 4. The show featured an actor who also later appeared in the twilight years of DALLAS and another actor who featured in the last third of FALCON CREST.” - @Jock Og

Flamingo Road (1980 – 1982)
    The series took place in the fictional town of Truro, Florida and action revolved around the various characters of the show, most of whom had ties to the very wealthy Weldon family, who resided on ritzy Flamingo Road.

“I’d opt for Flamingo road as I liked John beck and how can you pass on a name like Lane Balou and Lute Mae, who we called slutty May at school” - @Barbara Fan

Guiding Light (1937 – 2009)
    The longest-running soap opera in television history. Starting on the radio in 1937, it moved to TV in 1952 where it ran until 2009. Set in the fictional Midwest town of Springfield, Guiding Light told the story, loves and challenges of the Bauer, Spaulding, Lewis, Cooper and Santos families who formed the backbone of the community.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Hyperion Bay (1998 – 1999)
    The series centred around Dennis Sweeny who, after a successful career in the software business, returns home to open a local division for the company he works for. The series follows the drama when the new meets the old in the little coastal town of Hyperion Bay, California.

“The 90s soap that nobody likes, but I really enjoyed most of it - the characters and the setting. I was very disappointed that it didn't get a second season.” - @Willie Oleson

Melrose Place (1992 – 1999)
    This was a primetime soap opera which ran for seasons. The show followed the lives of a group of young adults living in an apartment complex called Melrose Place, in West Hollywood, California.

“While Sunset Beach was my daytime go-to in the 90's, Melrose was my late night delight. When it settled into it's groove, it also had one of those ensemble casts where everyone was an asset and produced iconic characters like Amanda and Kimberly, who are still referenced today. Seasons two and three were soap gold. The wheels started falling off after that (as has been much discussed on here) but it still had it's moments. The less said about the CW continuation, the better.” - @Carrie Fairchild

The Monroes (1995)
    A primetime soap opera about a political family headed by John Monroe, a powerful and wealthy power broker who is running for governor of Maryland.

“Shortlived '90s soap with Greg Sumner married to Maggie Gioberti. I think their daughter was having it off with the President.” - @James of London

The O.C (2003 – 2007)
    Orange County, California is the setting for this series which centred on Ryan Atwood, a troubled but gifted young man from a broken home who is adopted by the wealthy and philanthropic Sandy and Kirsten Cohen. Ryan and his foster brother Seth, a socially awkward yet quick-witted teenager, deal with life as outsiders in the high-class world of Newport Beach.

One Tree Hill (2003 – 2012)
    The show is set in the fictional town of Tree Hill in North Carolina and initially followed the lives of two half-brothers, Lucas and Nathan Scott and the drama that ensues from their romances.

“One of my more profound viewing experiences. It ticks a lot of boxes: Knotsy emotional connection to the characters; attention to the small things; championing the underdog; smart writing; some snappy lines - and some ugly ones; all paired with a healthy dose of teen angst. It wasn't afraid to go dark, and it wasn't afraid of the audience disliking its characters, one of whom had perhaps the most interesting journey of any character I've seen on television. Ever.” - @Mel O'Drama

• Like Like x 6
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Revenge (2011 – 2015)
    Inspired by the novel The Count of Monte Cristo, Revenge tells the story of an emotionally troubled young woman sets out to exact revenge against the people who wronged her father.

Santa Barbara (1984 – 1993)
    The show revolved around the eventful lives of the wealthy Capwell family of Santa Barbara, California, the rival Lockridge family and the more modest Andrade and Perkins families. Santa Barbara was notable for having a central plot around which many of the others revolve: the murder of Channing Capwell, Jr. This killing took place five years before the series actually began at which point Joe Perkins, jailed for the murder, is paroled and returns to Santa Barbara determined to prove his innocence and renew his relationship with Kelly Capwell, sister of the victim. Over the course of the soap, almost every major character would be accused of the murder of Channing Capwell, Jr. or find his or her life involved in the incident in one way or another from his illegitimate son to his mysterious, presumed-dead mother.

Savannah (1996 – 1997)
    A primetime soap opera from the 1990s. Set in the southern city of Savannah, Georgia, the series revolves around three female friends: naive rich girl Reese Burton, noble Lane McKenzie and scheming bad girl Peyton Richards. Lane to Savannah for Reese’s wedding to Travis Peterson. Travis is soon found dead, and the drama revolves around the whodunit murder mystery and subsequent court case. There is also intrigue surrounding the identity of Peyton's father, later revealed to be Resse’s father.

Sunset Beach (1997 – 1999)
    The show followed the loves and lives of the people living in the Orange County coastal area named Sunset Beach, on the coast of California. Storylines in its nearly three-year run ranged from the traditional to the supernatural.

“Santa Barbara was my intro to US daytime soaps but Sunset Beach was the first one I watched religiously. And I loved it. It was tongue in cheek, off the wall and sharply written. It also had a plethora of really memorable characters like Olivia, Bette, Annie, Greg, Cole and gave us such iconic storylines as Operation Insemination and the Rosario Jewels.” - @Carrie Fairchild

Titans (2000)
    Aviation magnate Richard Williams is engaged to the much-younger Heather but is unaware that she previously had an affair with his son, Chandler. Chandler is unsure whether he should tell his father the truth but soon discovers that Heather is pregnant with his child. Meanwhile, Heather clashes with Richard's former wife Gwen (played by Victoria Principal), who lives in a mansion across the street. After Richard and Heather marry, Chandler's scheming brother Peter finds out about her affair with Chandler and the drama ensues.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Tyrant (2004 – 2006)

Bassam Al-Fayeed, the younger of two sons of an infamous Middle-Eastern tyrant, has been running from his past for 20 years. Now a pediatrician living in the United States, he has an American wife, son and daughter, and no desire to revisit his familial origins. However, when he is reluctantly compelled to return to his home country (the fictional Abuddin) for his nephew's wedding, he is quickly drawn into a taut political crisis when his father passes away in the midst of a growing popular revolution against the ruling family. Bassam must now attempt to use his influence to guide the new President, his brutal and unstable older brother Jamal, to a political solution that will avert a bloody conflict.

“The scale of the story, the number of characters and the topic that seems too relevant and gruesome for ordinary escapism might indicate that this is not a soap opera in the traditional sense of the word. But the feudings and power struggles, the love affairs, illegitimate children and most importantly the totally dysfunctional family makes it a very cinematic soap, and far more melodramatic than, say, The Sopranos. And let's not forget that the classic soaps wanted to do these things - Moldavia, and all the Rambo and James Bond stuff that happened on Dallas and Falcon Crest - but they simply couldn't show the graphic action and violence that was commonplace on Tyrant and, to some extent, TNT Dallas too.” - @Willie Oleson

Valley of The Dolls (1994)
    An updated adaptation of the Jacqueline Susann novel Valley of the Dolls, which follows the trials and tribulations of several women who live in Southern California.

“Certainly not the best of the lot, but its adult themes and Sally Kirkland as the show's leading lady makes it a real soap oddity.” - @Willie Oleson

The Yellow Rose (1983 -1984)
    The lives and trials of the Champion family as they run a 200,000 acre cattle and oil ranch called The Yellow Rose.

“David Soul, Cybill Shepherd, Sam Elliot and Mandy Winger in an oil and cattle soap that stayed true to the dusty western atmosphere of the DALLAS mini-series when the original went more upmarket. Includes some of the most achingly evocative dialogue in all of soap: ‘Two hundred thousand acres. Looked just like this before any man laid eyes on her. Could stay this way as long as we live or it could change. Depends on us. I had never known I was big enough to have that kind of power.’ ” - @James from London

The Young and The Restless (1973 – Present)
    Set in Genoa City, this is the long-running soap that tells the story of the struggle behind the business, loves and lives of the Abbott and Newman families. The Young and the Restless has won 10 Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Drama Series and is currently the highest-rated daytime drama on American television and has consistently been so for over a quarter of a century.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,078
    Medals:
    Central Park West
    The Colbys
    Flamingo Road
    The Monroes
    Tyrant
    The Yellow Rose

• Like Like x 7
  7. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    1. Flamingo Road - One of the great primetime soaps of the 1980s and to consider it as an after thought to the big 4 (Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty and Knots Landing) doesn't do it justice. It created some really good characters and plotlines including the long love triangle between Field, Lane and Constance, and in Titus the show had one of the great soap opera villains.

2. Savannah - Had this show been launched in the 1980s was primetime soaps were at their peak popularity, I think it would have been a massive hit. It was a soap written around a compelling murder mystery and the impact it had on the relationships of the main characters.

3. Guiding Light - Not a soap I've seen but as the longest running soap opera in history and one of the first soaps ever launched, it deserves to go through.

4. The Edge of Night - Again not a soap I've seen but the from the description given by @Daniel Avery when he nominated it and from researching the soap to describe it, The Edge of Night sounds like a creative and innovative show and an attempt to do something new and original with a soap opera.

5. Titans - I only watched this at first because I liked primetime soaps and Victoria Principal was in it. It wasn't great at the start but it steadily got better and was very good by the time they decided to cancel it. It's a pity they didn't give it more time.

6. Dark Shadows - Again, I've not seen it but for years I've read so many posts on this forum about this show that I feel like I have! A supernatural gothic soap opera? You can't get a more original approach to doing a soap opera than that.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    1. One Tree Hill
    For the reasons given in post #5.

2. Melrose Place
    For the turbocharged excitement. And for some of the best cliffhangers ever.

3. The Colbys
    For the sense of event surrounding the launch. For the expansiveness of everything from the writing to the sets. And for that wonderful divorce papers scene between Sable and Jason.

4. The Yellow Rose
    5. Flamingo Road

For the atmosphere and richness they brought to @James from London's Versus threads while they were running (I haven't seen either, but James's comments have put them firmly on my radar).

6. Savannah
    For taking things back to the familial fallouts of the big Eighties soaps. And for the beautiful Southern accents.

In and out:

Central Park West
    For the enjoyable NYC location work, and the promise of those first episodes before the first retooling.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,828
    Medals:
    1. All My Children
    2. Melrose Place
    3. Savannah
    4. The Young and The Restless
    5. Central Park West
    6. Beverly Hills 90210

• Like Like x 6
  10. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,380
    Medals:
    I havent seen many from the list so my list is a very short one

Flamingo Road - For reasons previously mentioned, loved John Beck and pleased to see him on Dallas, Lane ballou and Slutty mae aka Lute mae are fab names and also forgot the wonderful David Selby as Michael Tyrone.

Titans - Mz P! (shame about John barrowman tho)

I have never any of the other shows on the list so dont feel I can vote for them.
    Thanks @Angela Channing - great job as usual and lots of work and effort!
    Love BF xx

• Like Like x 6
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,078
    Medals:
    If only that was the worst part.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    I always felt that both John Beck's characters on Flamingo Road and Dallas (Sam Curtis and Mark Graison) were basically the same person: rich, playboy trying to settle down, kind-hearted, loyal and as we established on the Top Ten thread, both drove very similar, or possibly the same, flashy vintage car.

Come to think of it, David Selby's characters on Falcon Crest and Flamingo Road also shared a lot of qualities.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Medals:
    Fab work, Angela, so sorry to nitpick, but the above quote applies to YR rather than Y&R!

14. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    No, please nitpick.

By the time I got to writing a description for the 28th and 29th soap opera I was going a bit doollally and didn't realise I had posted your comments to the wrong show. Thanks for spotting my error which I have now corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Medals:
    1 - Central Park West: for reasons I've discussed many times on here. Check it out if you haven't done so already. Here's a taster of a standard CPW exchange (please ignore the dodgy video quality, it's all about the venom being spewed)

2 - The Colbys: grand, epic and classy. It may have had it's moments of silliness but it still felt a cut above the show it spun off from, mainly down to the performances of Stephanie Beacham and Charlton Heston, but particularly Beacham as it very much felt like "her" show. This is one of my favourite scenes of her in action (incidentally one of my favourite scenes from any US soap).

3 - Flamingo Road: I struggled with season two but the first year was awesome. It tackled subjects that the other soaps never touched and I also loved how they were straight out of the gate with one of the show's biggest timebombs (Constance's parentage) and allowed tension to build around that (much like Sons and Daughters did with the twins secret at the very beginning).

4 - Melrose Place: a pop culture powerhouse for the 90's

5 - Sunset Beach: as I mentioned, this is my favourite of all the US daytime soaps I've seen to date (although Passions comes a close second and I've a feeling if I ever watch Dark Shadows, it may unseat them all)

6 - Savannah: I loved this when it first aired and I rewatched the first season a few years ago and wasn't disappointed.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,869
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +667
    1. All My Children
    2. Revenge
    3. One Tree Hill
    4. The O.C.
    5. Titans
    6. Desperate Housewives

• Like Like x 5
  18. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    Medals:
    1. Santa Barbara
    2. Revenge
    3. Sunset Beach
    4. The Bold and The Beautiful
    5. Desperate Housewives
    6. Melrose Place

• Like Like x 4
  19. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    Thanks again @Angela Channing for all this time, work and energy you are putting in to this! It’s fantastic!!

1. Desperate Housewives
    2. Titans - so good to see VP in a series again!
    3. Melrose Place
    4. The Colby’s
    5. Days of our Lives
    6. Flamingo Road

I forgot to nominate Glitter with the lovely Timothy Patrick Murphy and the fabulous Morgan Brittany. Oh well.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Medals:
    1) Revenge
    2) The Colbys
    3) Flamingo Road
    4) The Young and the Restless
    5) Melrose Place