World Cup Qualification Round USA Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    The following 6 USA soap operas have already qualified for the finals of the World Cup:

[​IMG]
    Dallas, Peyton Place, Falcon Crest, General Hospital, Knots Landing and Dynasty

Now we need to select the final 6 USA soaps to qualify.

The qualification process will be the same as for the UK soaps qualification.

Forum members are each asked to nominate up to three USA soap operas that they would like to see competing in the finals of The World Cup of Soap Operas. Once the nominations have been completed, I will collate them and post the final list for everyone to vote for the shows they would like to go through.

Nominations are now open for you to suggest 1, 2 or 3 USA soap operas you would like to be part of the qualifying vote. Any USA soap opera is eligible, past or present, daytime for prime time. You may give reasons for you nominations if you like but this is entirely optional.

Nominations will close at midnight Monday 15th July.

Apologies for the title of this thread but it won't let me put USA in capital letters.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Medals:
    My nominees

1) The Colbys - Dynasty spin off
    2) The Young and the Restless - longest running soap on American daytime worthy of a long service accolade.
    3) Flamingo Road

• Like Like x 5
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    So pleased you nominated these 3 soap operas as they were on the short list for consideration for automatic qualification.

4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    1. Guiding Light - The longest running TV soap in history. Broadcast for 57 years and for 15,762 episodes (18,262 episodes beginning in 1937 if you count the radio broadcasts). For reference, the current longest running soap opera is Coronation Street which has only broadcast 9,812 episodes.

2. Savannah - Much underrated series from the 1990s that had all the ingredients of a hit including a murder mystery and unknown paternity of a major character but was broadcast when prime time soap popularity was on the wane.

3. Titans - Another attempt to revive the prime time soap genre in 2000 which was better than its ratings suggested. Even having Victoria Principal as its star couldn't save it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,097
    Medals:
    1. The Yellow Rose

David Soul, Cybill Shepherd, Sam Elliot and Mandy Winger in an oil and cattle soap that stayed true to the dusty western atmosphere of the DALLAS mini-series when the original went more upmarket. Includes some of the most achingly evocative dialogue in all of soap: "Two hundred thousand acres. Looked just like this before any man laid eyes on her. Could stay this way as long as we live or it could change. Depends on us. I had never known I was big enough to have that kind of power.”

2. Dark Shadows

Brilliantly insane, 60s daytime vampire soap, hypnotically slow and often genuinely scary - rubber bats and all.

3. The Monroes

Shortlived '90s soap with Greg Sumner married to Maggie Gioberti. I think their daughter was having it off with the President.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    From the titles mentioned so far I'd say Dark Shadows and The Colbys are the most beloved cult shows, if the amount of discussion on soapchat is anything to go by.

I'll nominate 3 series that realistically don't stand a chance to win, or even get far in the knockout game, but in case they're being placed opposite a series I've never seen (like most of the UK soaps) I'd still have a chance to vote.

1. Valley Of The Dolls
    upload_2019-7-9_17-59-19.png
    Certainly not the best of the lot, but its adult themes and Sally Kirkland as the show's leading lady makes it a real soap oddity.

2. Hyperion Bay
    upload_2019-7-9_18-5-56.png
    The 90s soap that nobody likes, but I really enjoyed most of it - the characters and the setting. I was very disappointed that it didn't get a second season.

3. Tyrant
    upload_2019-7-9_18-12-0.png
    The scale of the story, the number of characters and the topic that seems too relevant and gruesome for ordinary escapism might indicate that this is not a soap opera in the traditional sense of the word.
    But the feudings and power struggles, the love affairs, illegitimate children and most importantly the totally dysfunctional family makes it a very cinematic soap, and far more melodramatic than, say, The Sopranos.
    And let's not forget that the classic soaps wanted to do these things - Moldavia, and all the Rambo and James Bond stuff that happened on Dallas and Falcon Crest - but they simply couldn't show the graphic action and violence that was commonplace on Tyrant and, to some extent, TNT Dallas too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,334
    Medals:
    That's odd, I tried to change it to USA for you and it didn't work...

8. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,729
    Days of our Lives
    Melrose Place
    I don’t supposed Glee counts ;-)
    I’m glad you nominated Titans, thanks :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    1 - Central Park West: in my opinion, the first 13 episodes are almost perfection. And as Darren Star himself said, the show is a real 90's time capsule with the fashions, the pop culture references (Bret Easton Ellis appears as himself) and the soundtrack (including Moby, Massive Attack, Everything But The Girl). It's such a slick production which is really heightened by heavy use of location shooting and it's one of those soap ensembles where there isn't a dud among the cast. The revamp has it's charms but it's the 1995 episodes that I love.

2 - Sunset Beach: Santa Barbara was my intro to US daytime soaps but Sunset Beach was the first one I watched religiously. And I loved it. It was tongue in cheek, off the wall and sharply written. It also had a plethora of really memorable characters like Olivia, Bette, Annie, Greg, Cole and gave us such iconic storylines as Operation Insemination and the Rosario Jewels.

[​IMG]

3 - Melrose Place: while Sunset Beach was my daytime go-to in the 90's, Melrose was my late night delight. When it settled into it's groove, it also had one of those ensemble casts where everyone was an asset and produced iconic characters like Amanda and Kimberly, who are still referenced today. Seasons two and three were soap gold. The wheels started falling off after that (as has been much discussed on here) but it still had it's moments. The less said about the CW continuation, the better.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    I'll definitely include this one during the selection voting round. To me, CPW will always be the 90s Dynasty that could have been. Mariel Hemingway's departure shook the perfect balance of the show, what came after that was enjoyable enough but it wasn't the cutting-edge NuSoap anymore.
    Shame, because it had the potential of becoming a successful long-running prime time soap, same goes for The Monroes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Medals:
    It is a great show, but it is not the longest-running. Of the four, it's actually the second-youngest. General Hospital premiered in 1963; Days of Our Lives in 1965; Y&R premiered in 1973; and The Bold and the Beautiful is the 'baby' of the bunch, having premiered in 1987.

Ironically, I'm not going to nominate any of those four!

1. NBC's Another World. (1964-1999) A great example of character-driven storytelling at its peak, it spent much of its 35-year run exploring the dramas between characters of different economic strata. The core families of Corys, Hudsons, Matthewses, and Frames had lives that intertwined for better or worse. It was the first soap to transition from live broadcasts to tape; the first to transition from black-and-white to color; the first to expand to hour-long episodes (and even expanded to 90 minute-episodes for about a year). They were the first soap to depict an (illegal) abortion, and the first soap to write an AIDS storyline. It's also noteworthy for many cast members who went on to greater fame like Ray Liotta, Eric Roberts, Kelsey Grammer, Anne Heche, and Ed O'Neill.

2. CBS/ABC's The Edge of Night (1956-1984) In a sea of romantic melodramas, EON carved a niche as the only crime-based, mystery soap. It was touted as a daytime version of Perry Mason, though it had storylines that unfolded over months, sometimes years. In this era of instant gratification, a soap that stretches out a storyline pay-off for a longer time is quite thrilling to watch, since clues are dropped all along the way and rewards the savvy viewer who picks it all up. It was said that EON's mystery format made it equally popular with female and male viewers, a demo no other soap went after in the 1960s and 1970s. It's also the place many people saw Larry Hagman for the first time in a pre-I Dream of Jeannie role, as well as a pre-Melrose Place Marcia Cross and pre-Full House Lori Loughlin.

3. CBS's As The World Turns (1956-2010) The first soap to premiere in a half-hour format (just barely--The Edge of Night premiered the same day), it was a runaway success from day one. It attracted the highest ratings of any soap in most of the late-1950s through the early 1970s. It was well-known for its strongly traditional "family dramas" format, with the Hugheses being the central family for the entire 54 years. It basically invented the "supercouple" in the early 1960s with the immensely popular Penny and Jeff, and even had a primetime spin-off named Our Private World featuring ATWT's main villainess, Lisa. The show was the first place most of us ever saw actresses Meg Ryan, Julianne Moore, Marisa Tomei, and Ming-Na Wen.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,872
    Medals:
    Hmmm. A UK soap World Cup and a US soap World Cup.

Could an Australian one also be on the cards? I do hope so!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    The next qualification round will be Australian soaps, followed by the Rest of the World, before all the qualifying soaps compete against each other. There's still a long way to go!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Medals:
    I nominate:

1. Beverly Hills 90210
    I love this show. I know it's aimed at a teen market. But it is a soap opera and I loved following the characters for all these years.

2. Desperate Housewives

It is a little twisted and has some dark humor/comedy too. But it's a soap opera in the sense that the stories are on going from one episode to the next.

3. Army Wives

This show follows the lives of a bunch of army wives while their men are at war. There is also one man who is a stay at home dad while his wife is in the army. It is basically a soap opera.

Honorable mentioning to: All My Children.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,729
    Oh gosh how could I forget Desperate Housewives?! Definitely that.

Don’t suppose Smash counts as a soap? If it does, that’s in for me too please :)

16. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,872
    Medals:
    Most of the ones I'm familiar with and enjoy are here, but there's one conspicuous absence...

1. One Tree Hill

One of my more profound viewing experiences. It ticks a lot of boxes: Knotsy emotional connection to the characters; attention to the small things; championing the underdog; smart writing; some snappy lines - and some ugly ones; all paired with a healthy dose of teen angst. It wasn't afraid to go dark, and it wasn't afraid of the audience disliking its characters, one of whom had perhaps the most interesting journey of any character I've seen on television. Ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    One of the unexpected bonuses of this World Cup is that it's identified so many interesting shows I've never seen but now they have come to my attention I plan to change that. I'm going to add Central Park West to my list of shows to check out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    No, I can't agree that Glee can be considered to be a soap opera. :mo:

19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    I've not heard of Smash so I did an online search about it. It was nominated for a Golden Globe as Best TV Musical or Comedy series rather than best TV Drama series so I don't think it is generally considered to be a soap opera so I'm afraid I'm not going to include it in the vote.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    Medals:
    1. Santa Barbara
    2. Revenge
    3. The Bold and the Beautiful

• Like Like x 3