1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Daytime Soaps - Vintage Years - 1980s Bold And Beautiful

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Alexis, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    I think I have decided on The Young And The Restless. I have to somehow make it happen.

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Try to get your hands on some of the episodes with Eddie Cibrian. Or, failing that, on Eddie Cibrian himself.

3. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    Why'd ya think I got Sunset Beach?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    And he's just for starters. Sunset Beach really was jam packed with hot guys.

upload_2018-12-12_1-4-15.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    This scumbag did things to me....

I wish.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    I prefer Eddie Cibrian for dessert.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    And for the main??

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    I'm gonna pass....

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Y&R like many of the more well known soaps will be hard to find. Realistically I’d say focus on finding 97-2004 which was the last truly amazing year it had. Even then it’ll be spotty in my experience looking.

You can find complete runs for Passions, Sunset Beach, GH spin off Port Charles (which was really good), I believe Santa Barbara is out there, GH from 80s to present day, Ryan’s Hope from 75-82 and of course DAYS from 80s until now.

Y&R is my personal favorite so I wish it had more available. I’d rewatch the entire thing but I really wish I could rewatch the 90s. I have several weeks from 1997-1999 and it was just so good. Different from the others but it’s style worked so well before they started trying to revamp it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,737
    When it came to gorgeous men on Sunset Beach, I prefered Sam Behrens!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    It wont play on my device?

13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,989
    I honestly just saw it on their page - it's also apparently available on the app Tubi.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Y&R was still in the hands of William J. Bell in the 90s, and it was a classy, well written soap. Same with B&B until 1993. B&B started going campy and having multiple personality disorder once Bradley Bell took over, and Y&R also lost a lot of its stability once William J. Bell passed the baton there too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Y&R continued to be good when his protégés Kay Alden and later Jack Smith took over. When they really started to suffer was in 2005 when they started bringing in other people. It’s a shame just how bad the show is. The transformation they’ve attempted makes no sense considering the show was so successful. I’m not saying freshen it up, but they’ve tried to drastically to change it as if it was some failure of a show. B&B is horribly written but with Ed Scott producing the show at least looks and feels like B&B.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    I doubt I will be getting The Young And The Restless now... After more investigation large chunks of the available episodes are in French. It would also be extremely expensive to buy whole year blocks.

Sunset Beach will have to suffice for now. And it has already shipped, so should be with me soon.

17. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,972
    Thanks for letting us know. I have watched this show already as someone kindly copied it on DVD for me back in 2006. The quality of this one seems lots better though.
    If it was available on an official DVD release I would buy it just to complete my SMG collection. :)

18. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    Bumping this thread!

Since The Young And The Restless is out of my reach I just caved and ordered the first 2 sets of The Bold And The Beautiful on DVD. I am quite aware that these will only cover the first 50 episodes out of about 900,0000 episodes. However I am not even interested in anything past about 1996. I don't know if these sets are even being released anymore. I just saw that there are at least 4 sets available and that's fine for now. The sets I bought are the Australian releases not the German ones.

What I would really love to see is from about 1989 through to 1996. I don't think I am going to get that far though. I had went down a rabbit hole on YouTube and there is some really brilliant soap there during those years on B&B. It's totally different to how it is now. Everything about the show is better then, the writing, dialogue, the look of it and the acting. All the stuff with Ridge and Caroline, and then Taylor and James. Brooke and Ridge going to Europe. This whole period just seems so good. Now the show feels like it all takes place in about 4 rooms and nobody ever goes outside or beyond those few sets. Back then they did such a good job of creating this whole soapy universe.

Have any others bought any of these boxsets? I remember discussing them a few years back with people here, though I don't remember who?

19. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    B&B was in fact, as you said, in its golden period in these years. The show also actually focused on fashion and fashion shows, which has now become a mere pretense for the setting. I also liked the Macy/Thorne/Brooke triangle actually, although it had a dumb resolution. The show was able to keep twisting and turning the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor with more and more complications, misdirection and false hopes, to a very engrossing result. See if you can the episode where Brooke marries Grant as Ridge tries to stop her at the marina, but literally the ship (they were married by the captain) has sailed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    There's probably not even a full years worth of episodes actually released as there are only 25 episodes per set. I think possibly just 4 sets. But that should be a fun little jaunt anyways.