1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Unrecasts.

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by TJames03, Jul 15, 2017.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +419
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    She made the comments section...:D It's actually a great topic, since it's something so unique to soaps.

Sandi Ferguson (now Sandra Lee Robinson) played the first adult Amanda Cory on Another World, and the show hired Christine Tucci, then Laura Moss as recasts...only to bring Ferguson back to the role eventually, to great success. Similarly, Matt Crane began playing her brother Matthew after a case of SORAS, and after Crane left, they hired Brian Krause and Jeff Phillips as recasts...neither of which really caught on, so Crane returned. The re-hiring of both Ferguson and Crane took the Cory kids back to their 1980s roots as the show was heading into the late 1990s.

Ellen Wheeler famously played AW's twins, Marley and Victoria first (and got an Emmy for it). After her departure, they had Rhonda Lewin play Vicky (only), then Anne Heche and Jensen Buchanan played both twins. Buchanan negotiated herself a deal to play only Vicky after a while, but the show wanted to bring Marley back, so....one fiery accident later, Ellen Wheeler returned to AW playing no-longer-identical twin Marley.

The twins' mother, Donna Love, was of course one of the more famous "un-recastings". The role was created for Anna Stuart, and it showed! The show recast her with Philece Sampler in the late 1980s, and the writers wrote a very different version of Donna in order to play to Sampler's strengths. Fans did not like the new direction of the character--Soap Opera Digest famously voted the change as "Worst Recast" of 1988 with side-by-side pictures of Stuart and Sampler--so when Stuart became available again, the show wisely brought her back and wrote her as the character everyone remembered.

....and that's just one soap!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,407
    Even though there was a long gap the first time--and firings since then--I would give Eileen Davidson an honorable mention for being able to seamlessly step in and out of the role of Ashley Abbott. Her work on DAYS, while multi-layered and engrossing twenty years ago, now seems a bit OTT to my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,487
    I never liked either of the Ashley recasts, even though Brenda Epperson could have passed for ED's body double. Sometimes hiring someone who looks a lot like the original will help, but not always.

A "worst recast best forgotten" would have to be when Y&R hired Darius McCrary to play Malcolm Winters. Though I think Shemar Moore is insufferably full of himself, he did a good job with Malcolm--and McCrary was saddled with a very different version to play. When Y&R got Moore to come back for a brief return, I was reminded that without Moore playing him, Malcolm is best left out of town.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,407
    The only thing I can figure with that one is that someone thought it would be "cute" to reunite Little Richie (Devon) with his cousin Eddie Winslow, in a FAMILY MATTERS redux. But it was a hot mess from the moment it was announced. I guess the good news is they didn't recast Little Nate with Jaleel White :eck: :lol:

• Like Like x 1