1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming

We are very close

Dismiss Notice

Unintentionally funny scenes

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Lastkidpicked, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Addict EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,284
    Medals:
    I don't know if it's the 99 cent Margaritas or my acerbic sense of humor (which is shared by many on this thread-- you know who you are! ) But some of the scenes in Dallas are supposed to be dramatic and they come out funny instead.

Let's just set the scene:

Bobby is getting ready to marry Pam for the second time. What Bobby and Pam don't know yet is that Jenna is pregnant with Bobby's child.

Ray finds out about the pregnancy and becomes more drunk and more angry as the wedding approaches.

Bobby, J.R., and Ray are dressing for the wedding when Bobby and Ray start arguing about how Ray has been treating Donna. J.R. is visably stunned at how angry Ray is becoming. Bobby is totally oblivious and tries to give advice to Ray about Donna, mentioning that Donna is pregnant and Ray should show more consideration.

In a drunken tirade, Ray says "Consideration? What about your consideration? You lecture me about my pregnant wife? You are walking down the aisle with Pam while Jenna is carrying your baby!"

And the camera pans out to reveal that Pam has walked into the room just in time to get gobsmacked by this news.

BHWAHHAHAHAHA! Damn it Son! Can't you at least look around the room before dropping a bomb like that!?

I know it was supposed to be dramatic and everything, but with the music ratcheting up, the look on J.R.s face, and the white dead dove looking thing on Pam's head, I actually laughed out loud! Sometimes re-marrying your once dead husband is more complicated than it sounds, amirite, Pam?

So after watching it again, and laughing even harder, I just have to ask:

Do you know of any scenes that are supposed to be serious but are unintentionally funny?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Addict EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,284
    Medals:
    UPDATE:
    This just gets better!

Right after I posted that we figured, "Well, let's watch the next episode."

And here's J.R, still at the wedding, calling Jenna on the phone.

Jenna: I'm not going to Bobby's wedding. I just can't
    J.R.: Not as a guest. . . As the bride!

I'm rolling! Only J.R. would have the gravitas to figure, "Well, we're already dressed up here! Might as well have Jenna jump in and marry Bobby. I mean we'll just scrape Pam's name off the cake. . . Or change it to Jenna. The M in Pam can be the two N's in Jenna. Ya, this will work just fine. Get Jenna over here!"

It's just too (unintentionally) funny! I can't stop watching.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,646
    for me, it's hard to beat Lucy performing at the talent show at the Overcomer Club in Austin at the behest of her semi-kidnapper, the dastardly Willie Gust. The episode is silly enough to start with, but this scene takes it to another level with its profound out-of-syncness.

Lucy's lip-syncing is barely on the same planet as the soundtrack. On the soundtrack we hear the audience clapping completely out of time with the music (unless it's some kind of polyrhythm too sophisticated for my ears) and in the latter part of the song, the people in the audience appear to clapping to yet another different beat unrelated to the music or the clapping we hear. It's preposterous.

What on earth was going on in the editing room that led to this making it to air?!??

(note: I believe that's actually Lucy/Charlene singing on the soundtrack - if the Ewings knew she had such talent they might have encouraged her to pursue her dreams in the Garnet episode)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,218
    Lucy standing stoned over Sue Ellen after she fell down the stairs. Not sure if that was meant to be as funny as it was? Or funny at all? But golly it was a hoot

And in the mini series Lucy standing on the stairs talking to Pam, moving her hands around like she was a model. I found that hilarious

Jordon Lee’s drawl whenever he pronounced ‘Ewing Oil’ and the way Naldo Marchetta pronounced Jenna and Charlotte made me giggle and copy every time. Presumably not intentionally funny but caused me great hilarity

• Like Like x 4
  5. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Medals:
    When Sue Ellen reveals that it's Kristin who shot JR. From Linda's delivery of the line "And when I was showwwering, you hid the gun in the closet," to her angrily grabbing the phone from JR and saying she wasn't going to go to jail for Kristin, it was too funny.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,298
    Medals:
    Harry McSween to JR "It sure is good to have the support of law-abiding citizens like you Mr Ewing"

Swami

• Like Like x 3
  7. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Pam dancing to a disco-ified version of the Dallas theme song in one of the mini series episodes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +301
    1. I thought the scene where Johnny Dancer beat up Clif was funny. Cliff trying to be smug and Dancer just backslapping him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,797
    Medals:
    Cliff's facial expressions in that scene were hilarious! Cliff looked like a guy who had never been in a fight in his life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,701
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,701
    Medals:
    1. Carter McKay doing anger.
    2. Bobby (after Pam) romancing woman by filling their dwellings with balloons and flowers.
    3. As stated above Johnny Dancer beating Cliff.
    4. Mark Grayson's lack of tact in pursuing Pam.
    5. The Ewings always able to find parking so easily.
    6. Clayton falling down the stair after attacking JR.
    7. JR forgetting who Lee Ann De La Vega was after romancing her decades earlier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I forgot all about Clayton falling down those stairs.

13. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,746
    Medals:
    Nothing will top the cringeworthy scene of Sue Ellen in her Miss Texas costume singing People.

It was pretty dire.

Also never liked Momma / Miss Ellie doing her best Sue Ellen drunk impression when she saw Claytpn with the woodentop.

Garnet McGhee and Lucy singing.

Jocks loud suits especially the powder blue and yucky brown ones.

Sue Ellens turban

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,298
    Medals:
    Also, during that sequence, Bobby seemed to be pulling faces as if he had entered a gurning competition.

Swami

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +742
    George Kennedy was so one-note and wooden on this show. I can’t imagine what they were thinking - “Oh the main characters on the show and the viewer demographics are getting older. Let’s bring in George Kennedy!”

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,797
    Medals:
    Sue Ellen's response to Bobby and Ray coming to take her home from the bar was unintentionally funny. One of them, Bobby I think, punched the guy she had drunkenly mistaken for Dusty, and knocked him out. Sue Ellen screamed: "You killed him! You killed him"! Then she started hitting Bobby and Ray with her purse. It was pretty funny.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,646
    in the first episode of the first full season, Pam is upset that Bobby is headed to an 'oilman's junket' in Las Vegas, apparently in his old 'PR' role, which he'd promised to leave behind on their way back from New Orleans as newlyweds months back.

...that is, until he lets her know she's coming along. She leaps into Bobby's arms in ecstasy as the Dallas theme music kicks in triumphantly. We see stock footage of downtown Las Vegas followed by Bobby and Pam in the atrium of a hotel that's clearly in Dallas (you can see the Reunion Tower through the windows), as the theme plays on. It's as unintentionally funny as it is glorious!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,298
    Medals:
    All told, what can surpass JR's contribution to the brawl in "The Dove Hunt", smashing his glass over the head of one of Tom Owens' boys?

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,797
    Medals:
    How about all the gold Jock is wearing in the "real power" scene? Jock was sporting so much gold that the brothers in the hood would be envious! Take a look:

As one of the youtube comments remarked: "Takes a certain kind of man to carry that much bling and still come across serious. One in a million."

BTW, how much do you think a new watch like that cost back in 1980? I can't tell for sure what brand it is - does someone here know?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Franko

Franko Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The dichotomy between early years Pam's occasional cut-a-bitch demeanor and how Victoria presented it (often in a downright childish fashion) is good for a laugh.