World Cup Qualification Round UK Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Yes, and it's been nominated by @Carrie Fairchild and it will proceed to the vote to qualify which will begin tomorrow.

2. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Not a soap opera I'm familiar with (I didn't have Sky channels in 2004/5) but thanks for the nomination and I will include it in the qualifying vote.

3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Thanks Sarah, I note your nominations but you didn't read my post which was 4 before your one.
    :confuse:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,321
    Medals:
    The hilarious thing is.... I DID read it @Angela Channing but thought we had to nominate the ones we liked best...forgive me, I'm having a trying time!!!! :oops:

I can't think of any!!!

5. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    I can't think of any!!!
    I didn't realise I was making this confusing for people.

If you want a soap to be considered for the knock out stages of the contest, it first needs to be nominated and everyone will then vote for whichever nominates soaps they would like to go through. (I borrowed this format from Ome's member's music theme thread). Some soaps have already automatically qualified.

That's fine, maybe all the soaps you like or you think deserve to be in the contest have already qualified or nominated. In a previous post I put together a list of some well known UK soaps that haven't previously been nominated to help prompt memories. There are many others too that are not on my list.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,380
    Medals:
    Does Grange hill count? a school soap opera? lol
    BF x

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,833
    Medals:
    I mentioned this DVD earlier, and when I took a peek at my copy to see if Families was on it, I realised it covers a heap of British soaps, some of which haven't yet been mentioned in this thread.

Anyone looking for nomination inspiration can read the item description for details of some British delights...

https://networkonair.com/drama/1443-soap-box-volume-1

With apologies to Albion Market, I'm going to change my nominations for another fondly remembered series that's on the DVD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    I never considered it to be a soap opera but if it's nominated I'll leave it to forum members to decide by how they vote.

9. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Nominations close at midnight so there is still time to include your favourite UK soaps.

10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Medals:
    Rooms, which is included on that DVD, is due to get a full rerun on UK digital channel Talking Pictures TV starting next week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    [​IMG]
    The 28 UK soap operas nominated by forum members to take part in the vote to qualify for the knock out stages of the World Cup are as follows:

Acorn Antiques
    Albion Market
    Angels
    The Archers
    The Bill
    The Brothers
    Casualty
    Connie
    The Crown
    Downton Abbey
    Eldorado
    Empire Road
    Families
    Family Affairs
    Footballers Wives
    Gems
    Heartbeat
    Holby City
    Howard's Way
    Mile High
    Night & Day
    Pobol Y Cwm
    The Practice
    Springhill
    Take The High Road
    Triangle
    Upstairs Downstairs
    Victoria

Forum members are now requested to vote for which of these soap operas you would like to go through to the next round.

Please select up to 6 soap operas from the list above that you would like to go through to join Brookside, Coronation Street, Crossroads, EastEnders, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks in the next round. Rank you choices from your favourite through to your sixth choice.

You may vote for any soap, including those your nominated. You don't have to remain loyal to your nominees and can choose to leave them out of your top 6 if you prefer.

You can still vote even if you haven't nominated.

Remember you are voting for your favourite soap operas or the soap opera you think deserves to do through. If you don't consider a particular show to be a soap opera, don't include it in your list.

You don't have to vote for 6 soaps but 6 is the maximum.

If you haven't seen all the programmes, I will shortly post a brief description of each soap opera which you may (or may not) find useful in deciding which soap to vote for.

You do not have to have seen a particular soap opera to vote for it you just have to think it deserves to go through based on any criteria you think is appropriate.

You may add reasons for your votes but this is entirely optional.

Voting closes at midnight on Tuesday 9th July.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    The first 5 nominees are:
    [​IMG]

Acorn Antiques (1985 - 1987)
    A parody soap that was part of the comedy sketch show Victoria Wood As Seen On TV. It followed the lives and loves of the staff of an antiques shop in a fictional English town called Manchesterford. It typically parodied soap opera’s low production values, wobbly sets, overacting, bad dialogue and wildly improbable plots.

Albion Market (1985 - 1986)
    Set in a covered market in Salford, in the northwest of England, Albion Market was conceived as a companion soap to Coronation Street. The show focussed on the long-suffering market superintendent Derek Owen and casual traders including lothario cake-selling wide-boy Tony Fraser, his 19-year-old girlfriend Lisa O’Shea, her mum, Lynne Harrison who ran a domestic goods stall, and Lynne’s two-timing no-good husband Roy.

Angels (1979 - 1983)
    The lives of student nurses based at St Angela’s Hospital in Battersea London. The trainees were from different background and had to cope with the trials and tribulations of working in the demanding environment of the National Health Service.

The Archers (1950 - Present)
    A radio soap opera that was originally billed as “an everyday story of country folk”. It is set in the fictional village of Ambridge, England and originally focussed on the lives of three farmers: Dan Archer, farming efficiently with little cash, Walter Gabriel, farming inefficiently with little cash, and George Fairbrother, a wealthy businessman farming at a loss for tax purposes. It is the world’s longest running drama having aired about 19,000 episodes.

The Bill (1983 - 2010)
    The day to day lives of uniform officers and detectives from Sun Hill police station in inner London as they enforce law and order. From dealing petty thieves to violent drug dealers, their lives are never straightforward and often the most frustrating group they deal with is their own colleagues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Nominees 6-10 are:
    [​IMG]

The Brothers (1972 – 1976)
    Following the death of road haulage magnate Robert Hammond, the series followed the trials and tribulations of the company and family he left behind. The company was left in equal shares to each of his three sons and to his secretary who was revealed to have been Hammond's mistress and the mother of his illegitimate daughter.

Casualty (1986 - Present)
    A drama depicting the private and working lives of the hospital staff, patients and others attending a busy accident and emergency department of Holby General hospital. The longest running prime time medical drama on TV anywhere in the world.

Connie (1985)
    Set in the East Midlands garment industry and tells the story of a woman returning to the United Kingdom from Greece after eight years in self-imposed exile. She is determined to claw back control of her chain of high street clothes shops that are now controlled by her stepsister, and also get her foot back into the "House Of Bea", a family-owned garment factory run by her father and stepmother, which is now losing money.

The Crown (2016 - Present)
    A historical drama series about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II and the events that shaped the second half of the 20th century.

Downton Abbey (2010 - 2015)
    a British historical period drama television series set in the early 20th century. The series, set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey between 1912 and 1926, depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their domestic servants in the post-Edwardian era—with the great events in history having an effect on their lives and on the British social hierarchy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Nominees 11-15 are:
    [​IMG]

Eldorado
    A soap opera about the mainly British expatriates who lived in the fictional town of Los Barcos on the Costa Eldorado in Spain. The series focused on their lives, loves and attempts to make a new life for themselves abroad.

It was awful at the beginning. Like really bloody awful. But I love it for the spectacular fiasco that it was. Plus it was different from any other British soap at the time. It's setting was unique yet relatable. It looked like the Spanish resorts you'd visit or see on TV. And it had some great characters who kind of nearly pulled it all together in the end. I've said before, the premise was good but the execution was a mess. However, with a little more time to iron out the kinks, I think it could've lasted longer. I think it deserves a place for it's notoriety alone. - @Carrie Fairchild

Empire Road (1978 – 1979)
    The series was the first British television series to be written, acted and directed predominantly by black artists. A soap opera, similar in format to Coronation Street, Empire Road depicted life for the black, East Indian and South Asian residents of a racially diverse street in the city of Birmingham.

Families (1990 – 1993)
    A daytime soap opera which followed two families; the Thompsons, based in Cheshire, England, and the Stevens, living in Sydney. They were linked through businessman Mike Thompson who walked out on his family and flew to Australia to be with his true love Diana Stevens who unknown to him at the time had given birth to his son Andrew who later went to England where he fell in love with Mike’s daughter not realising they were half-brother and half-sister.

I was reminded of it last night when the posh son popped on ENDERS as an old cop buddy of Jack Branning's. I didn't see much of FAMILIES in its early days when it was half-set in England and half-set in Australia (a bit like the way SONS AND DAUGHTERS crisscrossed between Sydney and Melbourne, only on an international scale). Back then, it starred Jude Law as a posh schoolboy and Sick Boy from TRAINSPOTTING as his best mate. I only really got into it after it dumped the Aussie stuff to focus on a dysfunctional posh (of course) family in which the father has had a secret affair with his new daughter-in-law. The final episode where various members of the family conspire in the daughter-in-law's 'suicide' was amazing, jaw-dropping stuff. - @James from London

I watched the first year or so religiously. The plot was very similar to S&D, with the (half) siblings randomly meeting and falling in love, which reunited the old lovers who were now married to others. It was a little formulaic and an unsubtle attempt to cash in on the Aussie soap craze, but enjoyable nonetheless. - @Mel O'Drama

Family Affairs (1997 – 2005)
    The series originally focused on the Hart and Gates family and some of their friends (including a character played by Idris Elba) and close associates living in the fictional outer London suburb of Charnham.

The often overlooked Channel 5 soap. It had one of the most diverse casts of any of the British soaps and had a regular presence of LGBT characters long before Hollyoaks took over that mantle. They also had one of the best British soap villains in Pete Callan. I also found the obvious backstage drama with the cast culls and show revamps to be intriguing. It wasn't afraid to try edgy storylines either and I see it as something of a bridge between Brookside ending and where the British soaps are today, in that they had a mix of the OTT (killing off most the titular "family" in a boat explosion) and gritty issue driven plots (the Costello daughter abuse arc). - @Carrie Fairchild

Footballers’ Wives (2002 -2006)
    Popular drama the fictional Premier League football club Earls Park F.C., its players, and their wives.

Footballers Wives was such OTT campy goodness. Like the British bastard child of Ben Carrington and Alexis Colby. - @Carrie Fairchild

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Nominees 16 - 20 are:
    [​IMG]

Gems (2005 – 2008)
    Set in a fictional fashion design company based in Covent Garden, London and managed by the Stone brothers, Alan and Stephen, whose differences in outlook and temperament meant that the business was often in choppy waters. The professional problems and personal lives of the employees of the company were the focus of the soap's storylines.

80s afternoon fashion soap, like a(n even more) low budget version of CONNIE. I mostly remember it for a freakishly good performance by Georgina Hale. - @James from London

Heartbeat (2002 - 2010)
    A drama about the 1960s lives and adventures of the police constabulary, medical staff, and residents of Ashfordly and Aidensfield in England. Members of the local constabulary patrol the area, keeping the peace whilst also dealing with local loveable rogues and their own love lives.

Holby City (1999 - Present)
    A spin-off from the established medical drama Casualty and set in the same hospital in the fictional city of Holby. The show follows the lives of medical and ancillary staff of the hospital and the patients they treat.

Howard’s Way (1985 – 1990)
    A series about the personal and professional lives of the wealthy yachting and business communities in the fictional town of Tarrant on the south coast of England

Mile High (2003 - 2005)
    A series about the lives of the cabin crew members of Fresh!, a budget airline based in London.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    Nominees 21 - 25 are:
    [​IMG]

Night and Day (2001 - 2003)
    Set in Greenwich in London and focusing on the lives of six very different families, this soap involved the mystery of a young girl’s disappearance and the impact it had on their lives. The series had and unusual format in that it aired during the daytime schedule with the week’s episodes combined into a longer show with additional more explicit scenes added for a later transmission.

It was such an exciting show when it launched. It had a great cast of both new and established actors. The writing was sharp. The look was edgy. The soundtrack was amazing. The filming and editing was slick. The storylines were offbeat. It was such a great soap. But it wasn't an "ITV" soap, so it didn't rate well and was shoved off into late night to die. I still think it would've survived had it aired in Channel 4 or E4 instead. Half of the cast would wash up on those channels anyway as Hollyoaks took in the bulk of those left unemployed after ITV pulled the plug. - @Carrie Fairchild

The Practice (1985)
    The staff of a GP's surgery in the Manchester suburb of Castlehulme deal with their patients' medical problems as well as their own personal problems.

Pobol y Cwm (1974 - Present)
    Set in the fictional village of Cwmderi in Wales with the action focussed around village pub, Y Deri, and its adjacent small businesses and houses. It is one of the UK's longest running soaps and is broadcast in Welsh. It is consistently the most watched show on the channel it goes out on.

Springhill (1996 - 1997)
    Set in Liverpool, Springhill’s main theme is the battle between good and evil, entwined around a complex family drama. Issues covered included adoption revelation, genetic sexual attraction, bigamy, homosexuality, infertility, surrogacy and murder. Aside from this there was a supernatural aspect, which included elements of religion, Angels, apparitions, witchcraft, time travel and the Second Coming of Christ.

Fantastic, mad 90s soap about a working-class Catholic Liverpool family -- think the Grants on BROOKSIDE -- with dark secrets, and a strange supernatural edge. Some great TV writers cut their teeth on it: Paul Abbott‎, ‎Frank Cottrell Boyce, Russell T Davies. - @James from London

Take The High Road (1994 - 2003)
    The residents of the rural Scottish village of Glendarroch deal with issues including crop failures, parish politics, infidelity, alcoholism and drug abuse.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,321
    Medals:
    OK! I'm going to try to do this (right) this time! :D

From the ones you have listed, my 6 votes go to:

1. The Crown - absolutely fantastic piece of television carried by Claire Foy. Love it.

2. El Dorado - ahhh. Gone too soon, and just when it was getting good!

3. Howard's Way - loved a bit of this, especially the theme.

4. Holby City - was a regular until sexy Owen left.

5. Victoria - have never watched it but love anything about the Royal Family (unless it features Camilla)

6. The Archers - deserves a mention for being on the air for so long and I nearrrrrrrrrrrly got a part on it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    And finally, nominees 26-28 are:
    [​IMG]

Triangle (1981 - 1983)
    Set aboard a North Sea ferry which sailed on a triangular route between Felixstowe, Gothenburg and Amsterdam. The series followed the lives of the passengers and crew.

Victoria (2016 - Present)
    The life of Queen Victoria is chronicled from the death of King William IV in 1837, her accession to the throne at 18 and her relationships subsequent relationships with the influential forces around her.

Upstairs Downstairs (1971 - 1975)
    Set in a large townhouse in Belgravia in central London, the series depicts the servants ("downstairs") and their masters, the family ("upstairs") between the years 1903 and 1930, and follows the slow decline of the British aristocracy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,912
    Medals:
    My top 6:

1. The Archers - I've never listened to it but it's a British institution and deserves to go through based on its longevity.
    2. Empire Road - One of the first soap operas I watched and still have fond memories of this show. During the 1970s there was relatively racial diversity on TV so as a boy it was kind of exciting to watch a show which focussed on black and Asian characters. That aside, it was really well written with compelling storylines.
    3. Pobol Y Cwm - I think it's so important to keep the Welsh language alive and on mainstream popular shows. Although, I've not watched it, I really wish I could speak Welsh to appreciate why this show is so popular and has endured for over 40 years.
    4. Holby City - I watched this show for around 2 years and it had some really gripping storylines and very high production values. I really like even though I'm now no longer a viewer.
    5. Take The High Road - Will always remind me of school holidays when it was on TV in the afternoons and just when I got into the storylines, I had to go back to school so I never was around to see the resolutions.
    6. Springhill - I've not seen this but when I researched it to write a description of this show for the World Cup is sounded absolutely fascinating and I really want to see some episodes now (and I believe it's on YouTube too!)

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,321
    Medals:
    I don't know why Pobol Y Cwm reminds me of @Mo Mouse :D

• Funny Funny x 1