1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Qualification Round UK Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    Yes, that's fine. :)

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,240
    The first season is really all you need (but I agree it's not cheap). There's an exciting overarching storyline that just builds and builds. The second season went completely off the rails -- several recasts (the original cast were almost perfect), sensationalised plots that came out of nowhere -- although I'd be very intrigued to see it again.

You never know, but I doubt it. GEMS pretty much went under the radar.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    Not a lot of love yet for a number of well known British soaps that haven't been nominated so far including:

Doctors (award winning and currently the second most popular soap on the BBC)
    General Hospital (the UK version which starred Tony Adams who went on to play Adam Chance in Crossroads)
    London Bridge
    Albion Market
    Park Avenue (unique as it was the only soap only to have existed on teletext)
    River City
    Waggonners' Walk (radio soap)
    Take The High Road (Scottish based soap)
    Triangle (how can we forget Kate O'mara sunbathing topless in the freezing cold on a North Sea ferry)
    Emergency Ward 10
    Angels
    Mrs Dale's Diary (radio soap)
    Dream Team (satellite channel Sky 1 attempt at producing an original soap opera)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,848
    A lot of Russell T Davies' work tends to veer into the fantastical, so I'd guess that he may have had a hand in the more off the rails elements of the show.

Yes, it's probably a bit of a reach to think the two are connected. In hindsight, B&B probably owes more to Paper Dolls. Gems (if tapes of it still exist) is the type of show I'd expect to see pop up on Talking Pictures TV (like Southern TV soap Together did a while back).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,201
    Can I go for

Crossroads - my Nan loved it
    Acorn Antiques as Victoria Wood is so sadly missed by me and died way too soon

I will also include Angels from BBC in late 70/80s and set in St Angelas hospital starring lots of young actors starting out in their careers like lesley Dunlop, Angela Bruce, Pauline Quirke etc
    have some of it on DVD and enjoyed re watching it

• Like Like x 3
  6. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    Your nan is a woman of great taste and discernment: Crossroads is one of my favourite soap operas ever.

I note your nominations for Crossroads and Acorn Antiques but as they have already been nominated, I'll also include your third nomination, Angels.

I remember Angels being screened on BBC1 at about 6.45 pm which meant it clashed with the last 10 mins of Crossroads. As a consequence, I never watched a full episode of Angels but the second half of each episode was always very good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,367
    1) Howards' Way

2) Take The High Road

3) The Archers

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    Thanks you! I'm glad Take The High Road has been nominated, I have fond memories of watching this show during the school holidays when I was young.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    Still time to nominate and many great British soaps are yet to be chosen to be part of the vote.

Nominations for UK soaps close at midnight on Monday when the vote to see which soaps go through to the knockout stages will open.

10. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +771
    Here are my 3 nominations

1) Coronation Street
    2) The Bill
    3) Howard's Way

• Like Like x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    Thanks @Englishboy. Coronation Street was selected for automatic qualification and Howard's Way, has been nominated previously. I will add The Bill to the list of nominated soap operas. Feel free to nominate 2 other soaps if you like but don't feel you have to.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    [​IMG]

So everyone is clear, the following UK soap operas have been nominated so far:

Acorn Antiques
    Angels
    The Archers
    The Bill
    The Brothers
    Casualty
    Connie
    The Crown
    Downton Abbey
    Eldorado
    Empire Road
    Family Affairs
    Footballers Wives
    Gems
    Heartbeat
    Holby City
    Howard's Way
    Night & Day
    Pobol Y Cwm
    Springhill
    Take The High Road
    Victoria
    Upstairs Downstairs

Additionally, the following have already qualified for the knockout stages of the World Cup:

Brookside
    Coronation Street
    Crossroads
    EastEnders
    Emmerdale
    Hollyoaks

It is therefore not necessary to nominate any of these soaps again. You will have a chance to vote for which of these soaps you want to go through when the poll opens on Tuesday.

If you would like to nominate a UK soap that is not on the above list, (and you haven't previously nominated or you nominated a soap that was already nominated) you may do so (up to a maximum of 3) by midnight on Monday 1st June.

• Like Like x 2
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,240
    I've already nominated but I forgot about FAMILIES. I was reminded of it last night when the posh son popped on ENDERS as an old cop buddy of Jack Branning's. I didn't see much of FAMILIES in its early days when it was half-set in England and half-set in Australia (a bit like the way SONS AND DAUGHTERS crisscrossed between Sydney and Melbourne, only on an international scale). Back then, it starred Jude Law as a posh schoolboy and Sick Boy from TRAINSPOTTING as his best mate. I only really got into it after it dumped the Aussie stuff to focus on a dysfunctional posh (of course) family in which the father has had a secret affair with his new daughter-in-law. The final episode where various members of the family conspire in the daughter-in-law's 'suicide' was amazing, jaw-dropping stuff.

There are a few clips on YouTube but they all look like they've been recorded underwater:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    I never watched Families but I do have a vague recollection of it being on TV and the unique way in which it told its story split between 2 countries.

This World Cup has reminded me that the UK has produced some really good, ground-breaking and innovative soap operas over the years.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,538
    I watched the first year or so religiously. The plot was very similar to S&D, with the (half) siblings randomly meeting and falling in love, which reunited the old lovers who were now married to others. It was a little formulaic and an unsubtle attempt to cash in on the Aussie soap craze, but enjoyable nonetheless.

In terms of Aussie soap pedigree, Plain Jane's Mum from Neighbours was in the thick of it. Patricia Hamilton's secret daughter by Dame Edna was along for the ride. And Young David Palmer ran the diner if I remember correctly.

After the first year or so I stopped watching. The last big plotline I remember was the culmination of the Kane & Abel storyline in which one brother killed the other and then covered up the murder while wooing his sister in law.

I seem to remember we discussed those later episodes a while ago and I'm still very curious about them.

I'm fairly sure at least one early episode has appeared on a Network Soap Box compilation DVD. I wonder if they would consider releasing some boxsets.

Oh - go on then... I'll nominate this one. And a couple mentioned by Angela:

1. Families
    2. The Practice
    3. Triangle

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,511
    I nominate:

1. Coronation Street - big fan and longest running soap in UK
    2. Brookside - sadly missed
    3. Hollyoaks - pure and simply because Linda Gray was in it :)

17. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +771
    Thanks Angela.

Can I also nominate Mile High which was a Sky tv soap which focussed on the lives of an air cabin crew.

It was first shown IIRC in 2004 with a second series screening in 2005.

18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,511
    Oh does El Dorado count?

19. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,234
    I wonder why Howards' Way was not pre-selected? It was a traditional prime time soap and had more episodes than Return To Eden.

20. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,093
    Coronation Street, EastEnders and Emmerdale are the biggest 3 UK soaps and were the most obvious choices for automatic qualification. The for the final 3 places, the total number of episodes broadcast was an important factor: Howard's Way ran for less than 100 episodes whereas Brookside ran for just under 3,000, Crossroads for over 4,000 and Hollyoaks for over 5,000. I also considered how much a soap is discussed on Soapchat as a criteria for pre-selection and Howard's Way is barely mentioned on this forum so on balance I think the soaps I chose have a stronger case for being automatic qualification.

Regarding Return to Eden, although it didn't run for that many episodes, (a mini series and one season), it is mentioned on here more regularly than some other Australian soaps and I felt including it reflected the views of forum members more than selecting another soap from that region.

I'm not saying all my automatic qualification choices were correct and that was why I decided half the soaps would qualify by a completely open nominating followed by a voting process so any other soap that is popular amongst forum members would have a good chance of qualifying too.