World Cup Qualification Round UK Soap Operas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    As mentioned yesterday, the following 6 UK soap operas have already qualified for the finals of the World Cup:

[​IMG]
    Coronation Street, Brookside, EastEnders, Emmerdale, Crossroads and Hollyoaks.

Now we need to select the final 6 UK soaps to qualify.

The qualification process will be similar to Ome's "Members' Chosen Theme" thread.

Forum members are each asked to nominate up to three UK soap operas that they would like to see competing in the finals of The World Cup of Soap Operas. Once the nominations have been completed, I will collate them and post the final list for everyone to vote for the shows they would like to go through.

Nominations are now open for you to suggest 1, 2 or 3 UK soap operas you would like to be part of the qualifying vote. Any UK soap opera is eligible, past or present. You may give reasons for you nominations if you like but this is entirely optional.

Nominations will close at midnight Monday 1st July.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    I'll nominate first so everyone is absolutely clear what the process is.

My nominations are:

1. The Archers. I've never listened to a single episode but I think it deserves to be in the contest as it's the UK's longest running soap opera, starting almost a decade before Coronation Street and broadcasting almost twice as many episodes.

2. Empire Road. Probably long forgotten by many but this was the first (and possibly only) UK soap opera to focus predominantly on the lives of black and Asian characters. It ran for 2 series at the end of the 1970s and stars included Norman Beaton (who became better best known for starring in the sitcom Desmonds) and Julie Walters in an early TV role.

3. Pobol y Cwm (People of The Valley). I've decided this soap should be included here rather than in the soaps not in the English language category because it is a UK soap even though it is made in the Welsh language. It is one of the UK's longest running soaps that has been on air since 1974. It is broadcast on S4C and is consistently the most watched show on that channel. Again, I've never seen this show but it's role in UK soap history makes it deserving of a place in the finals.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,097
    Medals:
    I have only the vaguest memories of it but it had a great theme song by Matumbi.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    Howards' Way
    Footballers Wives
    The Brothers

• Like Like x 5
  5. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +667
    I nominate Casualty, which I would classify as a soap opera; it's been on the air for 30+ years and definitely deserves a nod.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    Eldorado: it was awful at the beginning. Like really bloody awful. But I love it for the spectacular fiasco that it was. Plus it was different from any other British soap at the time. It's setting was unique yet relatable. It looked like the Spanish resorts you'd visit or see on TV. And it had some great characters who kind of nearly pulled it all together in the end. I've said before, the premise was good but the execution was a mess. However, with a little more time to iron out the kinks, I think it could've lasted longer. I think it deserves a place for it's notoriety alone.

Family Affairs: the often overlooked Channel 5 soap. It had one of the most diverse casts of any of the British soaps and had a regular presence of LGBT characters long before Hollyoaks took over that mantle. They also had one of the best British soap villains in Pete Callan. I also found the obvious backstage drama with the cast culls and show revamps to be intriguing. It wasn't afraid to try edgy storylines either and I see it as something of a bridge between Brookside ending and where the British soaps are today, in that they had a mix of the OTT (killing off most the titular "family" in a boat explosion) and gritty issue driven plots (the Costello daughter abuse arc).

Footballers Wives: I was torn between this and Night & Day but I figured N&D wouldn't get a mention from anyone else, so I may as well throw my support behind something that stood a chance of qualifying. Footballers Wives was such OTT campy goodness. Like the British bastard child of Ben Carrington and Alexis Colby.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Medals:
    I nominate:

1. "Downtown abbey"
    2. "Victoria"
    About young Victoria's life.

3. Is "the crown" a british or american series?
    If British, I nominate that too.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    Carrie, as Willie nominated Footballers' Wives too, I can also include Night & Day as a nomination for everyone to vote on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    Thanks Angela. I misunderstood what way these qualifiers were working. I'll state my case for Night and Day then so. It was such an exciting show when it launched. It had a great cast of both new and established actors. The writing was sharp. The look was edgy. The soundtrack was amazing. The filming and editing was slick. The storylines were offbeat. It was such a great soap. But it wasn't an "ITV" soap, so it didn't rate well and was shoved off into late night to die. I still think it would've survived had it aired in Channel 4 or E4 instead. Half of the cast would wash up on those channels anyway as Hollyoaks took in the bulk of those left unemployed after ITV pulled the plug.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    The Crown is a Netflix production so although the series is set in the UK, I think it's more of an American series. Personally, I don't consider it to be a soap as it depicts real life events rather than being a work of fiction. Further, the episodes generally don't always follow on from each other and often many years have elapsed between them, so there isn't a continuous progression of an ongoing storyline or theme like there is in a traditional soap opera. However, if it's nominated when we come to the US Soap qualifications, it will be up to forum members whether or not they want to vote it through to the final stages of the contest.

11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Medals:
    I just checked IMDB and it lists "The Crown" as a UK/USA production. I think since the topic of the show is the British Monarchy and the majority of the cast are British it fits better to be nominated as a British series rather than an American one!

12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    After the nominations are completed, everyone will vote on which of the nominated soap operas will go through to the main contest. Although, you can nominate the same soap operas, it won't make any difference to the final list of nominees or the final vote.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    It's produced for Netflix which is an American company so I consider it to be more of a US production than a British one. However, if others feel it is (a) a soap opera and (b) a British show, I'll happily change my mind and include it in this qualifying round.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Medals:
    I have watched the first two seasons of "The Crown" on DVD this spring and I really enjoyed the show. :)

Although it does portray real people and real events and has a historical aspect (as does the "Victoria" series although that one portrays people who have been dead for over a century, while the Crowns main characters are still alive in real life) I do consider it:
    a) a drama series = soap opera
    b) a British show.
    Yes it's american too but like I said before it has a British cast and is about the British monarchy. What can get more UK than that?

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    Not every production with (melo)drama in it is a soap opera. It can have the characteristics of a soap but I think we should consider the format too.
    In the old days we would have called The Crown a mini-series, like North & South series 1 and 2 and 3.
    Just because everything's tagged as "season" these days doesn't make it a soap.

• Like Like x 1
  16. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,097
    Medals:
    THE CROWN's too classy to be a soap but it's as addictive as one.

1. SPRINGHILL - fantastic, mad 90s soap about a working-class Catholic Liverpool family -- think the Grants on BROOKSIDE -- with dark secrets, and a strange supernatural edge. Some great TV writers cut their teeth on it: Paul Abbott‎, ‎Frank Cottrell Boyce, Russell T Davies.

2. GEMS - 80s afternoon fashion soap, like a(n even more) low budget version of CONNIE. I mostly remember it for a freakishly good performance by Georgina Hale.

3. Speaking of CONNIE, if that counts as a soap, I'd have that as my third choice. If not, then it'll have to be ...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,159
    Medals:
    That trailer looks really good!
    So 80s it hurts? It reminds me of the NZ soap GLOSS.

18. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    Medals:
    The talking heads to camera thing is so 90's. I rewatched a bit of This Life a while ago & had forgotten they employed a similar technique. I wish there was more of Springhill to watch online as it looks great but not great enough for me to fork out €60 for the DVD release that only covers a portion of the series.

I often wondered if the creators of The Bold and the Beautiful drew inspiration from this show? There are even brief segments in the Gems intro, from the "glamour" shots to the jazzy saxy intro, that are similar to the B&B intro, although B&B is slightly more high octane.

19. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,729
    1. Downton Abbey
    2. Upstairs Downstaurs
    3. Acorn Antiques

• Like Like x 3
  20. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count: