TV bitches (presented by Kate O'Mara)

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Willie Oleson, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,132
    Medals:

and there's also part 2, 3 and 4

I guess there are different interpretations of the word "bitch". In this top 10 they seem to focus on strength and determination, rather than pure villainy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,132
    Medals:
    I've watched the other parts (2-5) and it's a little disappointing, to be honest.
    There are characters from comedy shows and of course Miss Piggy again, so it's very much like that rubbish list that was published by E!
    Kate O'Mara was a great speaker but in these clips she looks particularly un-entertaining. I kinda wish I hadn't started this thread.

I must say I was intrigued by the actress from Emmerdale Farm, Claire King. I think I would have loved her!

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    Medals:
    She was fabulous and has recently made a comeback to the show. I don't watch anymore as I lost interest in all the UK soaps quite a while back but when I was a kid she was amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    If memory serves, the show was from when they'd pretty much exhausted the "I Love the 70s/80s/Top 10 this/Top 10 that" format. There were some great shows along the way, especially the music ones, but in the end, it just became a bunch of talking heads pretending to remember whatever clips they'd just been shown for the first time. Interesting to hear from the writer of CONNIE though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,132
    Medals:
    Yeah, like Mojo on YouTube. Sometimes I can't resist watching them but it usually makes me feel like
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    Thanks very much for sharing this. I used to quite enjoy the Top 10 series when it originally aired on Saturday nights on Channel 4. I was only in my early teens when they aired and I think the shows may have been my first taster of Dynasty actually. They aired similarly soapy themed episodes which I think featured more fictional characters from dramas than the Bitches episode like Top 10 TV Bastards (feat. JR, Dirty Den, Jason Turner), Top 10 Kings of Soap (feat. JR again I think, Blake) and Top 10 Soap Queens (feat. Alexis again, Bet Lynch, Angie Watts).

She was outstanding during her original run but they've unfortunately turned her into an OTT panto villain since her return.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    I watch Mojo or Miss Mojo if ever they have a list that interests me, though usually I avoid them. But a lot of times, whenever I look down in the comments, it seems like everyone is wildly disagreeing with said list or asking "Why isn't such and such on the list?!" Gets a little old after a while...

8. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    I remember how weirdly crappy the DALLAS (and maybe DYNASTY, I can't really remember) clips looked in those shows in the pre-DVD days. Often they seemed to be lifted directly from cable reruns and the picture was sort of zoomed in on as if to block out the cable TV logos at the bottom of the screen. I remember a producer person saying at the time that DALLAS clips were prohibitively expensive to use; maybe that explains it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    Oh, I remember getting into a right old argument about that show with someone on the forum who was outraged when Sue Ellen wasn't automatically crowned the winner.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    Yes, I remember occasionally seeing things like "Courtesy of UK Gold" as a caption on clips used on Channel 4 docs that featured the soaps.

If my memory serves me correctly, Bet Lynch was number 1, followed in no particular order by Alexis, Sue Ellen, Angie Watts, Dot Cotton, Hilda Ogden and Charlene from Neighbours and Sheila Grant. I can't recall the last two but I'm going to hazard a guess that Meg from Crossroads and Annie Walker might have made the list?

• Like Like x 2
  11. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    That sounds about right, though it might have been Elsie Tanner instead of Annie Walker. But I do remember riding to Sheila Grant's defence.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    It being a Channel 4 show, they had to include at least one Brookside star and who better than Sheila.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    I watched this last night. It was a nice selection of clips and synopses of some of my favourites. I was kind of surprised by the rankings (Dorian from Birds of A Feather ahead of our Alexis?) but apparently it was a public vote. It was also a reminder to get my finger out and finally watch Connie and also add She Devil to my ever growing "to watch" list.

What struck me was how dated that type of show feels now. It was only broadcast in the early 00's so it's not that long ago but I don't think any channel would get away with a 90 minute special describing women as bitches now. Also, that clip of Stephanie on So Graham Norton, where he shows that full frontal photo of her from Playboy. That was a regular occurrence on his show back then but he'd be dragged over the coals for doing the same today.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,132
    Medals:
    I get that feeling from many 2000's shows, maybe because we think it shouldn't look dated yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    Just watching that segment on Connie, it feels like a very reductive term. Connie was many things, not just a bitch -- that's why the show worked. And that's what Stephanie Beacham was so good at playing, complicated characters who weren't just one thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Milescolby

Milescolby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +71
    At the risk of going a little off-topic, all hail Angie Watts and Sheila Grant! The sheer mention of those names makes me all kinds of nostalgic - they were the real deal UK soap queens of the 80s IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    What house is this?

18. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Medals:
    I think these kind of 'Best of' shows and polls have played a part in why Kim's return was so misjudged. For 20 years she was mostly remembered as this outright, full-on villain. As the clips above show she certainly had those moments of extremes and camp but they were fleeting and spread out over a 10 year soap stint, she was also more than those things and could be for great periods of time a largely grounded character. The misconception of her being just this one thing combined with the task of bringing back a character after 20 years to a show that has moved on, a show that tends not to look back upon itself, I think lead us to what we got. Thankfully things have calmed down since her initial return and we're starting to see glimpses of the old Kim again.

I think you would have loved mid 90s Emmerdale!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,132
    Medals:
    British and Australian tv series have always been very popular in Holland, but somehow these British soaps never caught on - I think they only showed a few years of Coronation Street and Eastenders.
    It's possible that Eastenders was shown between the seasons of Howards' Way and I remember watching the first episode, expecting something equally glossy (or at least "glossy" by European standards) - but this was obviously not the case, so at that time I figured it wasn't for me.

I don't know anything about the other British series and I don't visit the UK soaps forums very often, but from the little I've read I think I would have liked Crossroads (although I'd be hard-pressed to give a specific reason).

• Like Like x 2
  20. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Medals:
    As you see in the Kim segment of the TV Bitches show, the actors and press liked to play up the idea of Kim's era of Emmerdale as being Dallas with dung, forgetting that Dallas was set on a ranch so had plenty of its own sh*t.

I'm currently serving 692 episodes in Wentworth Detention Centre for Women, but I'm thinking about starting a new life in Tarrant once released.

I've never seen a full episode of Crossroads.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1