Trump wants his supporters called the ‘super-elite’ because ‘we got more money’ and ‘nicer boats’

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by SueEllenRules!, Jun 29, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Trump Wants His Supporters Called the “Super-Elite” Because “We Got More Money” and “Nicer Boats”
    “More brains” and “better houses,” too!

Since Donald Trump entered office 190 years ago, the one thing that’s consistently brought him joy in a job he clearly hates is the campaign-style rallies he’s continued to hold despite already being president. Whether in Louisville, Pensacola, Duluth, or West Columbia, Trump has relished the opportunity to go off-script in the sort of unhinged rants he just knows his base loves. Some of his favorite topics have included: shutting down the government if he doesn’t get his wall, pardoning an Arizona sheriff who engaged in racial profiling and imprisonment of Latinos, fake news, James Comey, crowd sizes, the results of the 2016 election, and all the fabulous parties he was invited to in the 1980s. Another well-loved subject? Derisively describing his critics as “elites,” as he frequently did during those happy, happy days on the campaign trail. To be clear, as New York’s Jonathan Chait notes, these people don’t refer to themselves as “elites.” But on Wednesday night, in the depths of his Twitter-addled brain, the president decided that’s exactly what was happening, and he wasn’t going to take it anymore.

“I hate it,” Trump moaned to the crowd in North Dakota. “I meet these people they call them ‘the elite.’ These people. I look at them, I say, ‘That’s elite?’ We got more money, we got more brains, we got better houses, apartments, we got nicer boats, we’re smarter than they are, and they say they’re elite? We’re the elite. You’re the elite. We’re the elite.”

And he wasn’t even finished! “So I said the other day, let’s keep calling these people—and let’s face it, they’ve been stone-cold losers, the elite, the elite—so let them keep calling themselves the elite,” he continued. “But we’re going to call ourselves—and remember you are indeed, you work harder, but you are indeed smarter than them—let’s call ourselves from now on the super-elite. We’re the super-elite.”

Of course, this isn’t the first time Trump has complained about not being described as “elite”—“They always call the other side ‘the elite.’ Why are they elite? I have a much better apartment than they do. I’m smarter than they are. I’m richer than they are. I became president and they didn’t,” he wondered aloud in Minnesota last week—but it is the first time he’s claimed his supporters should be described the same way. Which is sort of a strange way to talk about people who, less than a year and a half ago, we were told were voting for him because they were “economically insecure,” not to mention America’s “forgotten men and women.” But hey, what the president says goes! And that’s Mr. President Super-Elite to you!

Trump Wants His Supporters Called the “Super-Elite” Because “We Got More Money” and “Nicer Boats” - Vanity Fair https://apple.news/AHXo4TfGIT4C5qUi7GgV77w

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    This is a great opportunity for Democrats to hammer Trump on his arrogance and indifference towards people living in poverty. They should also bring up his tax cuts for the wealthy.

The sad part is many of his poverty-riddled supporters will still believe they're part of the elite simply because their jackass leader said so.

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,465
    Since the '80s, the Republicans have been projecting their own economic elitism onto the Democrats, often using the high profile rich -- Hollywood celebrities who are often liberal Democrats -- as evidence.

So now Trump is blaming the Democrats for disingenuously calling themselves "elites"?

It's a mobius strip of orange madness.

4. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    IMO, economic elitism has nothing to do with ideology. There are plenty of rich liberals who pal around with establishment Dems and even throw six figure dinner parties for them.

Like Republicans, many Dems also have rich elite donors whom they capitulate too. When it comes to rich, out of touch elites, party affiliation is not a factor. Bill Maher used to be a progressive hero, but now he champions a recession if it means getting rid of Trump. He also bashes progressives who oppose and fight against the Dems' center-right positions.

5. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
  6. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Instead of blasting third party candidates and their supporters for participating in democracy, why don't you ever go after the awful candidates Democrats choose? It's funny watching Dems attack people for abandoning the party, even when it's revealed that many Dems are in the pockets of the banks, corporations, and the military industrial complex. So tell me, how does it work out for us putting them in power when they govern as Republicans? Obama won because he was an inspiring candidate who ran on a progressive agenda. However, he changed course once in office and even said he would have been considered a moderate Republican in the 1980s. But he was at least smart enough to campaign to the leftist base.

Our political system is rigged, the primaries are rigged, and the beneficiaries are the rich and military. But yet again, you attack leftists who challenge the system.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  7. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018