Trump aide mocks John McCain: ‘He’s dying anyway’

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by SueEllenRules!, May 11, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Lawmaker anger builds after White House aide mocks 'dying' McCain
    Former Vice President Joe Biden said decency in the Trump administration has hit "rock bottom" and Meghan McCain asked why the staffer hasn't been fired.

WASHINGTON — Furor built Friday among lawmakers in both parties and family members following reports that one of President Donald Trump's aides, Kelly Sadler, had mockingly referred to Sen. John McCain's brain cancer diagnosis during a White House meeting.

"There are no words," Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., tweeted.

During a White House meeting on Thursday, Sadler reacted to McCain's announcement that he opposes Gina Haspel’s nomination as CIA director because of her involvement in the agency's enhanced interrogation program.

"He's dying anyway," Sadler said, according to three sources with direct knowledge of the meeting.

The White House hasn't denied her comment and multiple spokespeople have not responded to questions from NBC News about Sadler's future in the administration.

McCain's daughter, Meghan, questioned why Sadler still has a job.

"I don't understand what kind of environment you're working in that that would be acceptable and then you can come to work the next day and still have a job," she said Friday on ABC's "The View." "My father's legacy is going to be talked about for hundreds and hundreds of years. These people are nothing-burgers. Nobody’s going to remember you."

Cindy McCain, the senator’s wife, tweeted at Sadler on Thursday evening: "May I remind you my husband has a family, 7 children and 5 grandchildren."

Former Vice President Joe Biden, on the presidential ticket that beat McCain in 2008, said Friday that the Arizona senator is a "genuine hero" whose "sacrifices for his country are immeasurable." Biden, who served in the Senate with McCain, lost his son Beau to brain cancer in 2015.

"People have wondered when decency would hit rock bottom with this administration. It happened yesterday," Biden said in a statement. “Given this White House's trail of disrespect toward John and others, this staffer is not the exception to the rule; she is the epitome of it."

Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., asked to share his thoughts about McCain on Friday by CNN host S.E. Cupp — who referenced what she called "unnecessary" comments about the senator from "surprising corners" — praised McCain.

"Look, John McCain is a hero. No two ways about it," Ryan said. "John McCain, I mean he gave his entire adult life for this country. John McCain fought for us in Vietnam, was a prisoner of war in Vietnam, came home and dedicated his life to public service. His vocation in life was making life better for people and better for the country. There are so many accolades I could heap on a John McCain."

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, said on Twitter, "Our nation should be grateful for the exemplary service and sacrifice of [McCain], and treat this war hero and his family with the civility and respect they deserve."

Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., called Sadler's comments "outrageous and unacceptable."

"It's a sad day in this country when White House officials are mocking a man who was tortured as a prisoner of war," Jones tweeted Friday. "He's more than earned the right to speak out on these matters. A public apology should be issued immediately."

Democratic lawmakers sounded a similar note.
    Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., said shortly after the story broke that it was "unacceptable" for anyone in the Trump administration to "cruelly mock veterans" like McCain, no matter their political or policy differences. "He gave so much for our nation," Reed said, referring to the torture McCain endured as a POW in Vietnam.

McCain, 81, who has served in Congress since 1983 and was the GOP's presidential nominee in 2008, was diagnosed nearly a year ago with an aggressive form of brain cancer. He has not returned to Capitol Hill for several months while undergoing treatment.

Reacting to Sadler's reported comment, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., tweeted Friday, "Is part of being low and small that it's irresistible to show just how low and small you are?"

"Our politics may be different but John McCain is an American hero," said Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., on Thursday. "The vile and repugnant attacks we've seen from POTUS, WH staff and the far right are disgusting and show how small they are next to this honorable man."

The initial report of Sadler's comment came the same day retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney mocked McCain during a TV appearance on the Fox Business network, arguing that torture had worked on the Arizona senator.

"The fact is, is John McCain — it worked on John," McInerney said. "That's why they call him 'Songbird John.'”

NBC News reported last weekend that people close to McCain have asked Vice President Mike Pence to participate in the senator's funeral, not President Trump. Former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush are expected to be eulogists at the funeral service, which is to be held at the Washington National Cathedral, a source close to McCain said.

Lawmaker anger builds after White House aide mocks 'dying' McCain - NBC News https://apple.news/A5h_wvAJSS3mgtmn0Fyb_Eg

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    I'm not a McCain fan for a variety of reasons (namely he's a war monger who inflicted Sarah Palin on the country), but I don't revel in anybody's impending death either. Unfortunately, many Trump fans are reveling in his brain cancer and mocking the fact that he's dying. Biden's statement that decency hit rock bottom with this administration "yesterday" is wrong because there was never any decency in this administration to begin with. Trump's whole schtick is belittling people, and his deranged groupies are simply following suit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,659
    Not surprisingly, Huckabee's lying daughter was more concerned with the leaks, than with the despicable comment itself. “I am sure this conversation is going to leak, too. And that’s just disgusting,” she said while scolding her team on Friday. Well, she got that one right.

https://www.axios.com/white-house-s...cc6-aebd-57594d7ab4f4.html?utm_source=sidebar

By the way, Mercedes Schlapp (CPAC's Matt Schlapp's wife) who defiantly said "I stand by Kelly Sadler!" in that meeting, is the same Mercedes Schlapp who stood up and left the recent White House Correspondents Dinner, because she and her husband found Michelle Wolf's comedy routine and referring to Sarah Huckabee Sanders as "Smokey Eye" too inappropriate to sit through.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +526
    When people attack leakers, they're admitting that they can't defend the person who was exposed. It's an obvious deflection technique that's often used in cases like this.

The level of selective self-righteous indignation on her part is overwhelming. So it's okay to mock a dying man, but making fun of a woman's eye makeup is a bridge too far.

What a piece of insufferable trash.

And while I have strong differences with McCain, I do give him credit for opposing Gina Haspel's nomination as CIA Director. It certainly puts him to the left of Dem Joe Manchin.

He also voted no on the Obamacare repeal, so I give him credit for that as well. Despite the issues I disagree with him on, I think it's sick that many Trump fans cheer him dying.

No doubt, these are the same people who consider themselves "pro life."

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    MSNBC Analyst: 'I Would Slit My Throat' If I Had to Sit Through Sarah Huckabee Sanders' Press Briefings

While appearing on MSNBC on Friday, analyst John Heilemann indicated that White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ press briefings were so bad that he would kill himself if he had to sit in the briefing room.

He was speaking with MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace and White House reporter Kristen Welker who asked Sanders about a controversial comment one of the White House’s aides reportedly made.

Aide Kelly Sadler reportedly downplayed Sen. John McCain’s influence on the nomination process for Gina Haspel, saying that he was “dying anyway” due to his brain cancer diagnosis.

Wallace, like others, suggested Trump should terminate Sadler. She asked Welker how Sadler’s comment comported with First Lady Melania Trump’s “Be Best” campaign. When Welker said would Melania called for a high moral and ethical standard, Wallace balked, “What a joke!”

Wallace asked how any reporter like Welker could sit through the briefings. She compared Sanders to “Baghdad Bob,” a nickname for the man who would deliver inaccurate press briefings during the Iraq war.

During the press briefing, Sanders pushed away questions about the Sadler comment, saying she wouldn’t validate a leak from an internal staff meeting.

Calling Sanders’ press briefings a “horror show,” Heilemann praised the press corps for trying to expose the “hypocrisy” and “lies” coming from the White House. Heilemann said that reporters like Welker had more fortitude than him.

“I could not go down there and do what Kristen Welker did today. I could not. I would slit my throat after about maybe two of those briefings if I had to sit in that room every day,” he said.

Republican strategist Steve Schmidt took things to another level, suggesting that Baghdad Bob was more honorable than Sanders because Sanders didn’t face a death threat like he did.

“If Baghdad Bob didn’t say what Saddam Hussein wanted him to say, Baghdad Bob would have been shot,” he said. “Sarah Sanders is lying of her own volition.”

He went on to call the administration “debased” and divisive for the country.

MSNBC Analyst: 'I Would Slit My Throat' If I Had to Sit Through Sarah Huckabee Sanders' Press Briefings - Independent Journal Review https://apple.news/A4Jm_mKLSS8ijob6aLPM4oQ

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Following Trump’s Lead, White House Will Not Apologize for McCain ‘Dying’ Remark

Last September, Senator John McCain said President Trump still hadn’t apologized for disparaging his war record at the start of his presidential campaign. Now, taking a cue from their boss, White House aides are refusing to publicly apologize for a communications staffer responding to McCain’s political opposition by quipping, “It doesn’t matter, he’s dying anyway.”

Kelly Sadler, a special assistant to the president, reportedly made the comment during a closed-door meeting of White House communications staffers. She was reacting to McCain issuing a statement urging fellow senators not to support Gina Haspel, Trump’s nominee for CIA director.

At Friday’s press briefing, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders expressed no regrets or sympathy for McCain, saying, “I’m not going to validate a leak one way or the other out of an internal staff meeting.”

Axios reported that Sanders chewed out communications staffers at a private meeting later in the day. While she said the comment was inappropriate, she was far more focused on condemning leakers. “I am sure this conversation is going to leak, too. And that’s just disgusting,” she reportedly said. (Indeed, at least five sources relayed the events of the meeting.)

If the White House had quickly offered a public apology, the story probably would have died down after a day. On Sunday Meghan McCain, the senator’s daughter, revealed that when Sadler called to tell her she was sorry last week she actually asked her to publicly apologize as well.

“When I had a conversation with Kelly, I asked her to publicly apologize and she said she would,” Meghan McCain said. “I have not spoken to her since and I assume that it will never come.”

Thus the controversy continued, with lawmakers from both parties criticizing the White House’s handling of the incident.

Mitt Romney, who’s running for the Senate in Utah, made a MAGA-related jab at the Trump administration:

“John McCain makes America great. Father, grandfather, Navy pilot, POW hero bound by honor, an incomparable and irrepressible statesman. Those who mock such greatness only humiliate themselves and their silent accomplices.”

On Face the Nation Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, McCain’s closest friend in the Senate, called for a White House apology and said he thinks most Americans would like to see the Trump administration “do better” in situations like this. (Or perhaps “Be Best,” as Melania Trump urged just days ago.)

Senator Bernie Sanders agreed on CNN’s State of the Union. “It is one thing in the White House for somebody to say something crude and stupid and disrespectful about an American hero, it is another thing for them not to apologize,” he said.

“It is beyond my comprehension,” Sanders continued. “I just don’t know what goes on in that White House mentality for there not being an apology for that terrible remark.”

Senator Dan Sullivan, a Republican, even offered an unsolicited rebuke of the White House on Twitter:

“.@SenJohnMcCain is a great American, a close friend & mentor of mine in the Senate. Like millions of Americans, my family & I continue to pray for this American hero as he bravely battles cancer, & is again showing the courage and fighting spirit for which he is widely regarded.

Making light of this – especially in the senseless and classless manner that’s been described in the media – is simply sad and speaks more broadly to the low levels of civil discourse & respect that have infected our politics on both sides of the aisle. We all need to do better.

As to the White House official who offered such an insult, she should show some respect and apologize.”

But White House officials had nothing else to add on Sunday. When asked about the comment on CNN, National Security Adviser John Bolton offered personal praise for McCain, but declined to say that his colleagues should offer an apology. “I’ve said what I’m going to say,” he said.

In the Trump administration’s defense, if McCain wanted to be treated with some basic decency while battling brain cancer, he should have thought of that before he said he didn’t want the man who denigrated his war service at his funeral.

White House Will Not Apologize for McCain ‘Dying’ Remark - New York Magazine https://apple.news/AptuOgUwmTyaBecCL2i3eoA

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  7. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Conway: Heads will roll after latest White House leak

[​IMG]

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said Monday she expects to see a staff shakeup in the wake of the furor over leaked comments made during an internal meeting last week.

"I had several discussions with the president on this very topic today," Conway said on Fox News.

Asked by "The Story's" Martha MacCallum if she expects personnel changes as a result, Conway said "I do, actually. Yes, I do."

Conway's warning came hours after President Trump condemned White House leakers as "traitors and cowards," and vowed to discover the source of the problem.

[​IMG] Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
    The so-called leaks coming out of the White House are a massive over exaggeration put out by the Fake News Media in order to make us look as bad as possible. With that being said, leakers are traitors and cowards, and we will find out who they are!
    1:46 PM - 14 May 2018

The White House has been an uproar in recent days after The Hill first reported that communications staffer Kelly Sadler mocked Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) brain cancer diagnosis.

Sadler said during an internal meeting that McCain's opposition to Trump's pick for CIA director, Gina Haspel, "doesn't matter" because "he's dying anyway."

Lawmakers and former government officials have sharply criticized the comments and called for a public apology from Sadler and the White House.

The White House has not offered one, instead doubling down on its argument that the issue is the leak in the first place.

Deputy press secretary Raj Shah said during Monday's press briefing that the matter was handled "internally," but would not elaborate.

On Fox News, Conway defended Trump's diatribe against leakers. Those who work at the White House should be loyal to the president and his agenda, she said.

"It's not so much leaking as using the media to shiv each other, and that was going on quite a bit at the beginning of this administration and it's less so now," Conway said.

"But I think the president is on solid ground here," she added.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...house-leak/ar-AAxhIMy?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz