1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Title cards you hate...

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Apr 3, 2017.

1. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I don´t like the opening credits of S8 & S9 which looked like daily soaps. Before they took time to shoot little scenes just for the credits which made it special.
    I think Alexis had the most different versions. Most of the actors had to wait until S8 to get a new opening. In S9 everybody got a new intro except Joan & Linda the two leading / leaving ladies.
    Ben´s first opening lasted for about 1 or 2 episodes ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,548
    I would like to see selfmade opening credits with just John F. and Linda E. and then followed by ALL different versions of Joan Collins as Alexis. And maybe "Jeff the turtle" as an extension if those would be too short for the theme song.:D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    I wish I didn't suck at the technology stuff. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    Yes, it's the equivalent of:
    "Dynasty"
    Starring
    John Forsythe and Linda Evans
    also starring
    Pamela Sue Martin, Pamela Bellwood and Al Corley
    with
    John James, Wayne Northrop and Katie Kurtzman
    and
    special guest star Dale Robertson and starring Bo Hopkins.

The best comparison I can think of is "Gilligan's Island": Forsythe and Evans are "Gilligan, the Skipper, too". Martin, Bellwood and Corley are "the millionaire and his wife, the movie star". James, Northrop and Kurtzman are "the Professor and Mary Ann" - originally credited as "and the rest".

Another comparison would be some 1930s movies that used title cards; the leads and main supporting characters would each have a title card, usually with both the actor and character names. The secondary supporting cast would would be billed two at a time and the rest of the cast would be a list of names (no title cards and no character names).

I think there was a definite hierarchy to the cast structure which was reflected in their pay and the order in which they credited. I guess you could say "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest" were monarchies while "Dallas" and "Knots Landing" were democracies.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +377
    I think Grant Jennings is right, that was the structure at least for the first five seasons.

Starting with the Super Couple, John and Linda, followed by Pamela Sue Martin (with Pamela Bellwood and Al Corley for season 1 and 2), then the two Pamelas for Season 3.
    Then the rest of the cast with Joan Collins having special status at the end.

Interestingly, John James took Pamela Sue Martin's place in Season 5, ahead of Bellwood, I guess his character was becoming more important as they were planning to spin him off.

And Bellwood herself was demoted again in Season 6 after her pregnancy when she appeared behind Gordon Thomson.

By Season 6, the tier structure seemed to be abandoned as the cast was at it's fullest, and I guess there was no time for the tier fountain effect.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +571
    Emma Samms got the stripes when she joined at the end of season 5, but I think it was because she was using Pamela Sue Martin’s old title card background and by that time didn’t have anything to do with billing status.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Luke Fuller

Luke Fuller Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +83
    What about a "formal decline" of Pamela Bellwood in the opening title card system", I am still a little confused with 1984/85 change when John James was moved ahead of her. Neverthless, she was still in the fourth position (like in 1983/84 season) and appeared in every episode (which happened for the first and last time). Beside, both Pamela Bellwood and John James were original cast from season 1, including the pilot. When I watched Dynasty for the first time, I think, I did notice this change.
    But her moving behind Gordon Thomson in the titles in "The Subpoenas" episode was very visible and degrading. It happened after five episodes of the abscence and five or six episodes of a very limited space in the script (one or two very short and pointless scene/s). The change has an effect of a warning to the audience like: "attention, please start to ignore this character, she well be executed in a brief time". And I am not sure that the abscence of Pamela Bellwood in five episodes in the middle of the season (from "Souveniers" to "Masquerade") was caused by her childbirth. When I watch closely the actress in the last episodes, she seemed to be still pregnant (for example at the end of a famous dialogue with Krystle about "radiating glow of passive acceptance"). And I remember that Pamela Bellwood told in interviews that she had planned the birthchild after the shooting and that she had been fired from Dynasty twice (!) during 1985/86 season.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,334
    Twice?

9. Luke Fuller

Luke Fuller Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yes. When she finished the work for "The Accident" episode (two short scenes in Tulsa office, in both sitting at the table), Pamela Bellwood was allegedly fired for the first time. She said that the production team was afraid of bad publicity after some time (firing actress because of being pregnant). And she was hired (or called in) again after five weeks. And I believe that Pamela Bellwood was pregnant for all season 6.

• Informative Informative x 5
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,548
    Those anti-pregnancy-bastards! :mad:
    If i was Bellwood, i would have demanded a "and Special Pregnant Appearance by PAMELA BELLWOOD as Claudia Blaisdel Carrington" title card for returning for those last episodes, AFTER the Joan Collins credit at the end! :D
    Plus, a HUGE memorial service at the beginning of next season, where all characters had to say some nice, honerable words about Claudia!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,245
    :clap::clap::clap:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +571
    Also, she should have demanded shoulder pads wider than Linda’s, dialogue bitchier than Joan’s, and her very own catfight scene in the lily pond (or the mud).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Actually Pamela Bellwood gave birth to her son in the middle of filming season 6 just before
    Christmas, as you can see her with her newborn on the Terry Wogan Christmas with the Carringtons special which was filmed in December 1985.

So I’m not sure about her being fired twice, but she probably displeased the producers as they had to work around her pregnancy and she was ultimately let go at the end of season 6.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,049
    And there it is as why I enjoyed (and still enjoy revisiting) a lot of title sequences from shows of my youth and before, including that one of O-R ABC Dynasty-- the sequences were crafted so remarkably well, such that one could know practically everything about what a particular show was about at a glance and make a decision on whether or not to see that show at the time it was on on the network it was on, or change channels.

In other words, it's as if a viewer at that time could say, seemingly based on a title sequence, "Hey, this show looks pretty good-- I'll stay here and give ABC my business now," or perhaps, "I don't think I'd care for this one-- I'll hop on over to CBS or NBC; either one of those might have something better."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    Yeah, I have enjoyed reading people's analyses of the title sequence, and I loved it when shows used to thoughtfully create them, but these days are long gone. The networks see them as time that could be spent on advertising instead, and the fans no longer watch merely when first broadcast--so they will skip them when they binge watch or watch on DVR (Netflix even offers that as a feature). And end title sequences are not even respected during the original run--stations will butcher them and project over them. I can only think of HBO in later years devoting time and art to a title sequence. I also remember how excited original Dallas fans were when TNT Dallas used the original's three-split title cards--ironically in the very season that was least loyal to the original of the three.

But the first few seasons the overall effect of Dynasty (music and leitmotifs, title sequence, establishing shots, direction) were as well tendered to as the scripts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +715
    I don't like the titles cards for seasons 1 (except Linda Evans), 8, 9 and The Reunion. For the other seasons :

[​IMG]
    I would have prefer a black limo parking in front of the St. Dennis Club (like in later seasons Alexis had a white limo parking in front of La Mirage).

[​IMG]
    A cake ? Seriously ?

[​IMG]
    The yacht is nice but what has it go to do with Nick ?
    [​IMG]
    Too simple. A tennis court ok, a racket ball just no !

[​IMG]
    Why the clocktower has been inverted ?

[​IMG]
    Too similar with Dex's background.

[​IMG]
    Rock Hudson's credit was not shot specifically for the opening sequence. Also, there was no fade in.

[​IMG]
    That look too silly.

[​IMG]
    The background is good but it should have been used for Sammy Jo.

[​IMG]
    Too unspecific. And I don't think it is a lake from Colorado.
    [​IMG]
    Zero imagination.
    [​IMG]
    Again horses ? Ok we have a mum and his child but NOT horses please !
    [​IMG]
    Why Jason does not have Colby Enterprises for his background ?
    [​IMG]
    Why Jeff does have Colby Enterprises for his background ?
    [​IMG]
    Too unspecific. Even for such an unspecific character.
    [​IMG]
    It's almost the same background that Jason's...
    [​IMG]
    The background is just ugly.
    [​IMG]
    Ah, all these scenes with Connie doing some gardening... Oops that was Miss Ellie !!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I was always asking myself, why Jack Coleman, Michael Nader and Diahann Carroll got new titlecards in season 7 and Gordon Thomson did not...

18. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +146
    ...and something was different from Lloyd Bochners titlecard in season 3 for the three episodes he was in...

19. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +481
    - As much as I know it was planned for Toscanni to live on a yacht like "Quincy" ... maybe they changed this idea after his first episodes were aired
    - Jason´s wave seems to show power and the west coast

- I wondered why Gordon, Heather and Emma got a new titlecard in S9 and Linda, JJ and Joan not.
    Really strange.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    Funny, I like almost all those title cards except for Geoffrey Scott's and Cassie Yates'.

It is really strange, since Joan's and Linda's were so bad.