1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EastEnders Thumbs down as no drama in EastEnders Christmas episode

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Cookiescholes, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Cookiescholes

Cookiescholes Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Don't mind some of this gentler stuff EE has been doingbut that was appalling. Where was the drama? And is Dot going senile, calling that cat Ethel?

Daran Little should hang his head in shame.

2. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I couldn't disagree more.

I must admit I did enjoy that episode tonight. No stunts, nothing too dramatic, just normalish life at Christmas with Families. Dot just keeps breaking my heart. She did have the line of the episode when speaking to Ethel, "Don't go licking yourself in front of the Queen!" [​IMG]

Drunken Kathy was funny, I love her rendition of "Bring me sunshine" I am sure Eric and Ern will be looking down with a big grin on their faces. Nice touches with Skype with Linda, Sonia, Kim, Vincent and Pearl.

Daran Little's script was spot on. One of the best episodes of EastEnders I have seen in a long time. Everything just seemed so natural and it worked.

I watched all 3 soaps tonight and EastEnders was head and shoulders above the the other soaps, it really was. For those who don't watch EastEnders you really missed a treat.

3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Medals:
    Loved it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Medals:
    Why? The episode outlines are already determined. He can't just do what he wants. He's answerable to the people who commissioned him to write the ep.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cookiescholes

Cookiescholes Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +35
    So he couldn't have put in a more dramatic storyline?

I guess it was just different to most of the xmas eps I've seen. At this time of year you are usually guaranteed some drama in Easties, and weren't you complaining a couple of months back James about the lack of drama in the show? I remember you mentioning the new tone?

I actually don't hate it. I just wish it was running alongside a dramatic s/l.

6. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Medals:
    Well, I'm no expert, but I don't see how he could have added another storyline unless it was one that would have no repercussions in future episodes (which would therefore mean it couldn't be all that dramatic). Also, it would have to have been short enough to leave sufficient room in the episode to continue all the ongoing storylines. And ultimately, it wouldn't be his decision anyway.

Yesterday's episode didn't feel undramatic to me as I was watching it. But then, I had just watched the rest of the week's episodes beforehand - I don't know if that makes a difference.

The new feel took me a couple of weeks to get used to but I really like it now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I just hope the BBC keep hold of SOC and let his vision for the show run through and take no notice of Social Media.

I know the ratings recently put EastEnders as the third soap, but in terms of quality is a country mile ahead of Coronation Street. Without meaning to be rude, it makes a refreshing change that a soap is not bowing to the unintelligent.

• Like Like x 2