"Thriller" with Boris Karloff

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by Snarky's Ghost, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    Do we have a thread about this spooky 1960--1962 anthology series (reportedly, Hitchcock got it cancelled, viewing it as competition for his own show witch went back-and-forth between NBC and CBS)?

In this episode, Captain Kirk worries about Lovey Howell and her creepy painting:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    It takes about half a season for THRILLER to get its haunted house groove on, focusing mostly on crime plots up until then, with varying levels of success.

Well-produced for its time, once the show gets going, it's far most macabre than the comparable mystery/sci-fi/horror anthologies of the period -- TWILIGHT ZONE, ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, THE OUTER LIMITS, ONE STEP BEYOND, et al... No, THRILLER's not as good as the very best of TWHILIGHT ZONE (nor does it have Serling's sometimes-forced moralizing), but THRILLER is consistently creepier than any of them. And it often has the smartest dialogue, even in episodes that aren't all that good.

Shame it didn't get a couple of more seasons.

Thanks a lot, Alfred, you impotent, skirt-chasing bastard.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    A lot of it is just rambling gothic melodrama. But it's all so vividly photographed, and done with such earnest bravura, it's hard not to sit up in the coffin and take notice.

[​IMG]

4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,795
    Medals:
    Boris Karloff was one of my mums fav actors but i dont know his films or career half as well as i knew bette /Joan et al
    She always said he was very under rated and didnt get the credit he deserved

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    Oh, I just watched a hysterical, yet creepy 1962 episode called "A Wig for Miss Devore" with the versatile and talented Patricia Barry giving a performance utterly reminiscent of Megan Mullaly in WILL & GRACE... I mean --- it's almost her.

Hmmmmm..... Wonder why, exactly...

Oh, and little John Fielder and I looked at each other once. He smiled... They always look at me and smile.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    This is such a weird little show. Creatively viable, for sure, but very weird. I don't just mean spooky-weird (although it's that, too) but just … weird. As with most anthologies, not every episode works, but even the ones that do are …. weird.

And lots of people pop up, even for a show that only ran two seasons. Even Mary Tyler Moore is in two episodes -- one before she's famous, and another after she's done the first season of DICK VAN DYKE (one of the commentarians keeps sneering at what a gold-digger Mary is in the episode, and even seems to hint the same about Mary herself -- which seems unlikely since Robert Redford was only the third man who was ever inside her body).

[​IMG]

Anyway, THRILLER is just ...weird. Though often in a good way. One wonders where it might have gone if it had been allowed to run through '64.

Damn you, Uncle Alfred. Damn you to Hades.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)