1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Yellow Rose

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ClassyCo, May 16, 2020.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    Last night I was thinking about The Yellow Rose, the western soap NBC tried to get started during the 1983─84 season. It had a pretty impressive cast, headlined by Cybill Shepherd, but suffered from low ratings, indifferent reviews, and was ultimately canceled after just twenty-two episodes. The entire series in on DVD, however, so that's a definite plus. I've thought about buying it a time or two simply to add it to my collection.

Any thoughts from any of you?

[​IMG]

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,489
    Medals:
    I totally loved it. It feels like a grittier, dustier, more poetic version of early Dallas. The acting, dialogue and cinematography are some of the best in '80s soap. Strangely, it gradually goes from being serialised to episodic, which is the exact opposite of Dallas, Knots and Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    Not sure if it means anything but the picture quality of the DVD release is outstanding. I thought I was watching a new netflix show.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    Yes, that actually means a lot. As I said, I've often considered buying the DVD set to add to my collection, so that definitely helps aid in my decision to eventually buying it.

5. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    That is interesting. The other shows found their eventual mainstream success the more serialized the stories became.

6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Medals:
    I assume it was the same reasoning with the talk of turning Dallas into a more episodic show again circa season 12 - they hoped that channel flippers would be able to stop on the channel when it was on without having to know all the details that were going on. Just looking at the writing credits for The Yellow Rose, John Wilder has a credit for every episode up until episode 11 when suddenly he disappears - I assume that he might've mapped out the show until that point and was let go at that point.

At least the theme song apparently went to number one on the country charts in April 1984 - but like The Heights and How Do You Talk To An Angel eight years later, it wasn't enough to save it from the axe.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  7. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    I am intrigued by The Yellow Rose. I really want to watch it, so it will definitely be a show I'll be aiming to buy in the near future. I'd guess that John Wilder was either removed or decided to leave probably because he didn't want to continue, for a variety of reasons, or the network might have not been on-board with the ideas he had for the show's future. Paul Savage was involved with the show a lot those last eleven episodes, so I don't know if he was Wilder's successor or not. It appears he was.

As for the song called "The Yellow Rose of Texas", I just heard it on the radio a little while back. Naturally, I've heard this song many times before, but it clicked with me that it was also the theme song to The Yellow Rose television series. It made me like it even more, even though I've yet to watch any of the show. That's going to change shortly, however.

8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,489
    Medals:
    Someone who occasionally posts on the forum corresponds with John Wilder and showed him my posts about The Yellow Rose. He had this to say:

He sincerely appreciates your enthusiasm for the show. He was very proud of it. He commented that the show wasn't really meant to be a nighttime soap. It was sold as a contemporary Western and action series. He wasn't happy with the promotion of the series as a nighttime soap, but felt that he understood the genre because he wrote for Peyton Place for 4 years and knew how to develop plots and characters in a serialized manner. However, he noted that he didn't watch Dallas or Falcon Crest, so any similarities with stories or characters on those shows were strictly coincidental. He said that NBC actually liked the show, but he felt that they should not have scheduled it for Saturday nights at 10 PM. It might've worked better on Sunday. He said that they had a following with working class viewers who could identify with the characters. He said that reading your weeklies brought back good memories of a show he was very proud of working on.

It might be helpful for your friend's coverage of the show, and may make him feel even more right about his instincts, to read the following reviews:

"An honest Texas ranch at last…the first authentic television series about Texas…Someone in the saddle of this production wants to create an action series that is more honest than those to which viewers have been subjected in the past." Terrence O'Flaherty, San Francisco Chronicle.

"THE YELLOW ROSE gives off the unmistakable essence of genuine intelligence." Harry F. Waters, Newsweek.

"NBC says the series is 'in the tradition of GIANT and HUD,' and it is." Richard Corliss, Time Magazine.

"…THE YELLOW ROSE has real dirt, real grit, and real honest-to-goodness characters who embody some of humanity's positive dimensions, rather than the most despicable instincts that are glorified on DALLAS." Fred Rothenberg, The Associated Press.

"THE YELLOW ROSE is not DALLAS or GIANT and it certainly isn't BONANZA, but it is as Chance, that man of one-word brevity, might say, terrific." Howard Rosenberg, The Los Angeles Times.

"It used to be that one of the best reasons for going out on Saturday night was to avoid resorting to network television for entertainment. Then NBC introduced THE YELLOW ROSE…the best new show of the television season.
    The show has a sense of morality…Its values are firm and positive, but they are served without corn…The characters are made of flesh and blood instead of the standard TV synthetics. You cannot be sure what they'll say or do, but it generally turns out to be believable and altogether human.
    The distinction of THE YELLOW ROSE is to strive for maximum excellence within the limitations of its medium, and to achieve it as often as it does." Jeff DeBell, Roanoke Times & World News.

A couple of critics did compare Rose to soap operas, but very favorably:

"Some of the better new shows are getting terrible ratings…One of the frustrating also-rans is NBC's THE YELLOW ROSE, an attempt to do a sprawling clannish soap opera with a little class and intelligence…But the show has enough smarts, stars and sex appeal to be a hit" Tom Shales, The Washington Post.

"THE YELLOW ROSE may be the best-made, best-written, and best-acted nighttime soap opera this video wrangler has ever seen." Mike Duffy, Knight-Ridder Newspapers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,809
    Medals:
    All my votes for YR in the SoapLand battles were fraudulent votes?

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    So, the show wasn't intended to be a soap opera?

Well, I guess I can see that without ever seeing the show itself. The fact that a western was supposed to be a soap opera always left me scratching my head, so I can see how they weren't necessarily gearing the show as a serial of sorts.