The World Cup of Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Angela Channing, Jan 8, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +683
    If Dynasty can do it, I suppose Dallas can, too:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +913
    With my favourite, Pam, sadly out of the running, it gets quite challenging who to choose

I like Miss Ellie, she and Donna, were the grounded, grounding characters in the show. The anchors. Miss Ellie #1 and only, you understand. For entertainment value though, who I found more enjoyable, interesting and fun to watch though in this category the way it is, I’m voting for

Match 1 - Sue Ellen

Again another toughie. Bobby was in a lot of my favourite scenes and was the love of Pam’s life. Unfortunately he became a total pillack after her departure and I have very little time for his (and the writers) complete lack of empathy and agony of Pam’s leaving and for who he shacked up with. Plus he’s going to win the round anyway, regardless of my vote, so I’m going to vote for the funny (often unintentionally), beautiful and absolutely fabulous with Mickey

Match 2 - Lucy

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Semi final match 1 (Ellie): Although Sue Ellen for quite some time was better known as the lip quivering long suffering wife of JR and then later as a successful business woman I will vote for Ellie. Ellie played mainly by Barbara Bel Geddes was the down to earth no nonsense character; with a deep love of the ranch, originating from her Southworth side of the family, as I said before.

When Donna Reed was cast as Ellie Southworth Ewing Farlow I didn’t think her new interpretation was awful. Owing to having just married burly Clayton I suppose it was important for the character to return, after their honeymoon. It was a sort of can’t do right for doing wrong scenario.

Semi final match 2 (Bobby): Lucy shone like she never did before or again for that matter when she got involved with Mickey Trotter. She found a bit of happiness with Doctor Mitch Cooper but Charlene Tilton’s character was under written, compared to the likes of Pam and Sue Ellen. IMHO Bobby deserves more to be in the final. Despite giving up on Pam during the original show I feel that he became less of a joke; than his brother JR, during the twilight years.

In the revitalised show the youngest son became a bit like Jock. However he was grumpier than Jock could ever possibly have been and along with some other traits (including being married to ‘Annie Get Yer Gun’) the older grey haired Bobby wasn’t a nicer person. All in all TNT aside Bobby (CBS/Lorimar 1978 – ’85; 1986-’91, 1996 and 1998) should be a final contender.

Bobby has a heart to heart with Ellie, in the kitchen of Southfork. He wants to convince his mother to have Jock declared legally dead. Ellie believes that he is still alive somewhere in the jungles of South America, as no body was ever located. Bobby watches on and listens, as his mother can’t hold back the tears, (a scene from season 4, DVD-5, 1981-’82):

Ellie: “No! No! This house is still Jock’s house. This family is still Jock’s family. You’re Jock’s son and I’m Jock’s woman and the rules we live by are the rules he made. That’s the way it will be. He’s alive, Bobby!”

Bobby gets up out of his chair and goes to console a distraught Ellie: “Mama!”

Ellie: “As long as I believe he’s alive, he’s alive!!!”

Freeze frame; fade to black, the closing credits commence and the theme tune starts.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    Still a few more days to vote for your preferred finalists between Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen and between Bobby and Lucy. The poll ends at midnight on Monday.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    Match 1 - Sue Ellen. Miss Ellie was nice to have around, but it was Sue Ellen who brought all the great drama for me.

Match 2 - Lucy. In the unlikely event that Sue Ellen wins as with Lucy, I much rather fancy her chances against Lucy than I do Bobby.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,877
    1. Sue Ellen
    Although I love Miss Ellie dearly and she was the glue that held the Ewing family together I find Sue Ellen more enjoyable to watch. She was a multi layered character with a lot of problems, her post natal depression, her alcoholism, her love affairs and more than anything how she fell hopelessly in love with a man who was not really good for her and yet he became the love of her life anyway. She was a dysfunctional mess but you couldn't help but rooting for her anyway. Over 30 years has passed in between her first (1978) and last appearance (2014) on our Tv screens and it's been a remarkable journey.

2. Lucy
    This one is really tough since I love Bobby a lot. He was in many ways the moral compass of ther show, the good guy who was the kain to JR's abel. The romeo to Pam's Juliet and a really strong male figure on the show that people could look up to. He was a great father to Christopher. Yet he had enough shades of grey to not make everything black and white. He had some flaws.

Yet Lucy will get my vote because I feel like Lucy has a lot more to offer as a character than people give her credit for. She was perfect as the wild teenager in the beginning of the show and we also got to see her make a remarkable journey from a teenager to a young woman who kept having bad luck with men and yet she never lost her faith in love. She suffered some great losses in her life that shaped her, first the loss of her parents, since it must have felt to her like they had abandoned her even though her mom didn't do so voluntarily. Then later on she lost Mickey Trotter who was in many ways a kindered spirit and maybe her true soulmate. Yes there was always Mitch who was probably her true love even though they were a classic case of opposites attracts. Moreover as a young girl watching the show Lucy was the one character that I found it easiest to identify with. So I was always rooting for her.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    1. Miss Ellie easily takes this. After all, how can you vote against the Mom of the family? Miss Ellie's love for her family kept them together and provided stability in dangerously unstable times. She knew when to be friendly and warm and she knew when to be firm and strict. She was a wonderful mother!

2. Bobby wins over Lucy because even though Lucy was important and had some good storylines like her rebelliousness over not wanting to go to high school and Pam becoming like a big sister to her and making her go to school whether Lucy liked it or not! Lucy's storyline involving almost marrying a nice young man who turned out to be gay was another of her best storylines. Kit Mainwaring broke Lucy's heart and she turned to pills to numb the pain in her broken heart. Fortunately this time Bobby and Ray were there to help get her off the drugs and made her see that she had no real choice because after all, as Bobby put it, "If you don't feel pain, you don't really feel anything at all." Wonderful words of wisdom from her uncle and it was Bobby's capacity to be the Ewing son who provided a sense of morality and ethics which along with Miss Ellie's help, kept the whole family from falling into a heartless, soulless void which would have been painful and sad to watch.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    Today is your last chance to vote in the semi final matches between Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen and between Bobby and Lucy. The poll closes at midnight tonight.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    The polls for the semi-finals are no are now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. After a week of voting, one match was very close and the other was a more straightforward victory. The results of the semi finals were as follows:

Match 1
    Ellie Ewing Farlow - 9
    Sue Ellen Ewing - 7

Match 2

Lucy Ewing - 4
    Bobby Ewing - 12

The following characters therefore go through to the final of The World Cup of Dallas:

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Well if Sue Ellen was going to lose to anyone, I'm pleased it was Miss Ellie, our one and only Mama. Well done Miss Ellie and very proud of how far Sue Ellen came in the contest. :kiss:

Warmest congratulations to lovely Bobby as well. :kiss:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 6
  11. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    I'm kind of sorry that Lucy got knocked out because the graphic I made to illustrate her participation in the contest was my favourite of all those that I had created.
    [​IMG]

The one for Ellie is now my favourite.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    Another week and another result that I didn't expect with Sue Ellen failing to get to the final. We say farewell to her and to Lucy as they become the 13th and 14th characters to be eliminated:

[​IMG]

Details of the final match will be posted shortly.

14. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    [​IMG]

We are now into week 8 and the 15th and final match of The World Cup of Dallas. The two remaining characters in the contest will compete against each other all week and the one who secures the most votes will be declared the winner. The final will be contested between Ellie Ewing Farlow and Bobby Ewing.

[​IMG]

Voting is now open for you to chose the character you would like to win The World Cup of Dallas.

Please post the name of your preferred winner of the final match. As always, you may give reasons for your vote but this is entirely optional and you can just post the name of your winner if you prefer.

Voting will close at midnight on Monday 12th March 2018 and the winner will be declared by a guest celebrity in a special ceremony the following day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,528
    Final- Mr. Bobby James Ewing

• Like Like x 4
  16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,957
    Well done Bobby and the two Miss Ellies!:clap:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,818
    oh Im excited about the guest celebrity

Will it be Miss Piggy (@Toni)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,818
    Ok this is an easy one for me

Final - The one and only Miss Ellie, Momma and BBG version only who stole my heart a very long time ago. :ch: the heart and the soul of the show and when she wasnt there there was something lacking.

I'd also rather have a S8 / dream season Dallas with BBG in it and no Pat D such was the presence she had on the show. She lit up her scenes and she was a cut above

Bobby Ewing also stole my heart but after Pam died he became annoying, sleeping with anything that had a pulse and dont lets even go there for the insufferable TNT Bobby and some very dodgy acting. I jumped ship to Team Hagman - Bobby really annoyed me and I didnt recognise the character any more.

Its Momma / Miss Ellie all the way! Even tho i did get to kiss Pat D on Aug 26th 1983 at 2.35pm on MGM set - The Matriarch of SF gets my vote!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  19. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    Mama was mighty fine (all three of her), but New DALLAS Bobby swings it for me:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,957
    I'm going to sing my vote!

• Funny Funny x 4